Yoshimi eats CPU

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sharp
Established Member

Yoshimi eats CPU

Post by sharp »

So I'm trying yoshimi because I want to get rid of the occasional choppyness of zynaddsubfx audio output. I like the idea that yoshimi is supposed to be pretty sample tight as far as jack is concerned.

However, when running the same patches I used to run in zyn, yoshimi will demand a lot of CPU. On my bassline patch, after my sequencer is done playing and notes have stopped, yoshimi quickly fills up one of my processor cores. Any idea what is up? These are patches that hardly used any CPU at all in zyn.

By the way, I'm running jack audio and alsa midi. Yoshimi 0.058.1.

-sharp
autostatic
Established Member

Re: Yoshimi eats CPU

Post by autostatic »

Hello sharp,

You might want to ask Alan Calvert (Cal) himself on the Yoshimi mailinglist: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/lis ... shimi-user
He's very quick in responding to issues. I can't help you though I fear because I've never ran into similar issues. But then I barely run more than 4 instances/parts at once.

Best,

Jeremy
mixtape
Established Member

Post by mixtape »

Sounds like you've hit upon a denormal. Install JACK bitmeter (I believe that UbuStu has this installed by default for some odd reason) connect Yoshimi to it and see if it lights up like a Christmas tree. The following link explains the usage and interpretation of the bitmeter.

http://devel.tlrmx.org/audio/bitmeter/

If you're using Yoshimi together with Ardour, there are ways to protect against this (try right-clicking on the offending channel in your mixer window and selecting 'Protect against denormals'). Otherwise, I'm afraid you might have to reconfigure your patch.

If this is the case, and you figure something else out, please post your fix, I'd love to hear how you fixed it.
sharp
Established Member

Post by sharp »

Thanks mixtape. I think that might be the problem, maybe in my effects chain. I have a reverb going into a distortion, which sounds to me like something that could potentially generate denormals. I'll check it out later on and update the thread with what happens.