Best way to Merge two MIDI outs (piano and drum set) into ONE interface input?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

777funk
Established Member

Best way to Merge two MIDI outs (piano and drum set) into ONE interface input?

Post by 777funk »

I have an S30 (61 key version of the S80). Is it possible to somehow run the drum set MIDI out into the keyboard and then run both signals into my interface MIDI in?

I'd like to be able to have the drummer and keyboardist feed into the interface at the same time.

tseaver
Established Member

Re: Best way to Merge two MIDI outs (piano and drum set) into ONE interface input?

Post by tseaver »

@777funk

I have an S30 (61 key version of the S80). Is it possible to somehow run the drum set MIDI out into the keyboard and then run both signals into my interface MIDI in?

I'd like to be able to have the drummer and keyboardist feed into the interface at the same time.

I'm not sure the model(s) you are referencing. If both the drum set module and the keyboard have 5-pin MIDI ports, then you should be able to configure them together to route MIDI to your audio interface using 5-pin MIDI cables (similar to chaining synths on a shared MIDI path). You will likely want to configure them to use different MIDI channels: the conventional MIDI channel for drums is channel 10, leaving you 15 others to use for your keyboard.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
777funk
Established Member

Re: Best way to Merge two MIDI outs (piano and drum set) into ONE interface input?

Post by 777funk »

Would that be MIDI out of the Yamaha S30 keyboard (to the IN on the interface) and running the Roland MIDI to the THRU of the Keyboard.

Would that feed both 5 pin MIDI signals to the interface?

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

You could buy another cheap MIDI interface or audio interface with a MIDI input. There are some problems using the audio signals of two interfaces, but there are no problems at all using multiple interfaces for MIDI in and out.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

erlkönig
Established Member

Post by erlkönig »

You could get an external hardware: there are MIDI mergers/patchbays to do this externally (4in2, or so), e.g. from Kenton or Akai.

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I wouldn't do it at all. If the two sources are fairly busy it will mess up the timing of both. bluebell's suggestion is much better as the sources come in on different ports so get handled quite independently.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}