New Linux musician in Michigan

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

1987cp
Established Member

New Linux musician in Michigan

Post by 1987cp »

Hello all!

I'm an amateur classical/acoustic musician that has recently become a Linux church musician out of a combination of necessity and opportunity.

Long story short, after being persuaded to surrender (well, take away for my personal use) our ailing vintage Hammond organ my wife and I had begun using at church, I immediately followed up on some previous research I'd done and installed GrandOrgue on my old Lenovo laptop still running Windows 7, inputting from the cheapest USB keyboard MIDI controller they had in stock at Guitar Center and outputting from my onboard soundcard to the church's (rather unreliable) soundboard and powered speakers. This worked, but involved putting up with the limitations on running large organ registrations with 8 GB of RAM, as well as dialing back sound to avoid the massive distortion from pushing pipe organ sound through that particular sound system.

Fast-forwarding a bit, the Lenovo's keyboard finally died, so currently I'm running GrandOrgue on a Dell Latitude 7490 with 32 GB RAM. I got it with no OS for a good price, so installed Debian 12 like on my desktop computer, and have switched the sound system to my personal vintage home amplifier driving equally vintage KLH model 33 speakers because those pieces have proven to be at least reliable and sound good. It's been extremely easy, since I was able to install GO with "apt" from the terminal, loading the samplesets is the same as on Windows, and my keyboard connected automatically with zero issues. I've also switched to using my wife's Focusrite Scarlett Solo for output to the amp, which also connected automatically and allows me to easily input and control the recorded music we typically have playing before and after services (not my choice, but I'm getting used to it!). With a reliable sound system that can handle a broader frequency range, I can finally spend more time practicing and making better musical use of the GrandOrgue VPO.

My current project is finding a free software Hammond organ emulator that I can actually figure out how to get running. Unlike my first virtual pipe organ experiments, this isn't going quite so well. Perhaps there's just been less interest in a software virtual Hammond for the obvious reasons that even a real tonewheel organ isn't nearly so large and expensive as a pipe organ and that there are so many more good (and relatively affordable) options for a hardware virtual Hammond, some made by Hammond-Suzuki themselves! Some of the software emulators I've found don't seem even intended for Linux, and for the ones I've messed with there's ever so much fiddly business with downloaded installer files in formats I don't recognize. And of course, to me DAWs are pretty much black boxes that I seem to understand even less than some literal black boxes! So far I'm getting (rather impressive) sound out from setBfree in conjunction with QjackCtl, but I've yet to get my controller (M-Audio Keystation 49 Mk III) to talk to it successfully. I'll likely be lurking for a while and posting a thread on that topic eventually.

Impostor
Established Member

Re: New Linux musician in Michigan

Post by Impostor »

Welcome!

Probably not what you're looking for, 'cause it's commercial, but maybe Modartt's Organteq could be worth a try? The demo is free, even if the full version isn't :) It's also standalone: just unpack the download, go inside the x86-64bit folder, and doubleclick Organteq 2.
https://www.modartt.com/try?file=organt ... al_v203.7z

Edit: Oh, I see they only emulate pipe organs. My bad.

jmhardin
Established Member

Post by jmhardin »

You may want to look at SamplesOn's free CollaB3 organ software. I'm having some issues with my current install, but it fired up beautifully before I had to reinstall my laptop recently.

https://sampleson.com/collab3-free-tonewheel-organ.html

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

If you understand the way the hardware versions are built and work, this is possible with any synth that can produce multiple instances of moderately variable sine waves - complete with drawbar emulation. With a bit more effort you can even emulate percussion and key-clicks.
One guy managed to do this with Yoshimi, and integrated it with a home-made organ console.

Unfortunately I've lost the link to his website :(
However we do have the writeup he did on the process:
https://yoshimi.github.io/docs/YoshimiOrgan.pdf

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
1987cp
Established Member

Post by 1987cp »

Many thanks for the welcomes! :)

Impostor wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:03 pm

Welcome!

Probably not what you're looking for, 'cause it's commercial, but maybe Modartt's Organteq could be worth a try? The demo is free, even if the full version isn't :) It's also standalone: just unpack the download, go inside the x86-64bit folder, and doubleclick Organteq 2.
https://www.modartt.com/try?file=organt ... al_v203.7z

Edit: Oh, I see they only emulate pipe organs. My bad.

I don't remember for sure, but Organteq may have been the very first VPO I trialed on Windows. It's a nice piece of kit, and I liked the idea of synthesizing the pipes from scratch. I'm told Viscount has actually gone to physical modeling on their Cantorum line. Can't remember now whether I successfully got OT to talk to a keyboard, though. I tried four or so VPOs with my wife's old YPG-625 before forking out even the small sum for the Keystation, and I remember that at least one of them wouldn't work for me at all.

jmhardin wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:38 am

You may want to look at SamplesOn's free CollaB3 organ software. I'm having some issues with my current install, but it fired up beautifully before I had to reinstall my laptop recently.

I think that was the first tonewheel emulator I downloaded. The promos look and sound great. Unfortunately, I'm mostly dependent on "apt install" when on Linux, and haven't yet figured out how to actually install it! I saw a thread where someone had once linked to some installation instructions for CollaB3 from the .sh file, but the target page is now gone. Any advice?

folderol wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:58 am

If you understand the way the hardware versions are built and work, this is possible with any synth that can produce multiple instances of moderately variable sine waves - complete with drawbar emulation. With a bit more effort you can even emulate percussion and key-clicks.
One guy managed to do this with Yoshimi, and integrated it with a home-made organ console.

Unfortunately I've lost the link to his website :(
However we do have the writeup he did on the process:
https://yoshimi.github.io/docs/YoshimiOrgan.pdf

I was thinking about that concept just today, since the Hammond is really just an electromechanical synthesizer in the first place. I just installed Yoshimi and will see what I can do with it!

jmhardin
Established Member

Post by jmhardin »

1987cp wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:21 am
jmhardin wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:38 am

I think that was the first tonewheel emulator I downloaded. The promos look and sound great. Unfortunately, I'm mostly dependent on "apt install" when on Linux, and haven't yet figured out how to actually install it! I saw a thread where someone had once linked to some installation instructions for CollaB3 from the .sh file, but the target page is now gone. Any advice?

I prefer apt install, too, but I don't mind compiling programs (like Guitarix) to get the latest code from time to time. I'm having issues with getting past the GNU license in their install script, and the devs have referred me to Libre Wave, the folks who have responsibility for the Linux code. I just sent submitted a support ticket and will let you know what I hear back.

jmhardin
Established Member

Post by jmhardin »

I got a response from Libre Wave. When the GNU license comes up, rather than scrolling through it just hit "q". That will get you to the install part of the script.

1987cp
Established Member

Post by 1987cp »

jmhardin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:30 am

I got a response from Libre Wave. When the GNU license comes up, rather than scrolling through it just hit "q". That will get you to the install part of the script.

Big thanks for checking into that! Now I can annoy my family with virtual tonewheels as well as pipes. :D