Getting a good (guitar) sound across multiple listening devices. Advice?

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

erlkönig
Established Member

Re: Getting a good (guitar) sound across multiple listening devices. Advice?

Post by erlkönig »

RyanH wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:56 am

Wow, that sounds pretty scifi! Right now I'm not using a mic, just direct from guitar to a new wah pedal to the Vox Tonelab to the interface. I'll definitely keep this in mind for if I get into micing... which I would like to get into one day.

...iirc this workes on mics with spherical patterns (no scifi, just audiotech-craft). But a Tonelab is really a great device and a very good choice, if i hadn't a small collection of amps, that would be my first choice. So to come back to your original post: could you provide a sample of your guitar?

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

RyanH
Established Member

Re: Getting a good (guitar) sound across multiple listening devices. Advice?

Post by RyanH »

erlkönig wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:49 pm

...iirc this workes on mics with spherical patterns (no scifi, just audiotech-craft). But a Tonelab is really a great device and a very good choice, if i hadn't a small collection of amps, that would be my first choice. So to come back to your original post: could you provide a sample of your guitar?

Hi. Sorry, I haven't logged in here for quite a while.

I'm not going to upload anything just yet, but for this particular song I was struggling with when I started the thread, I have realized that, really, the Tonelab just doesn't have the sound I'm looking for. The troublesome guitar track uses heavy distortion. The Tonelab's high-gain amp models come close, but don't quite mesh with the synths and it's pretty hard to control the noise. The distortion/fuzz/overdrive pedals don't blend well either.

I'm actually looking to just buy a standalone distortion pedal. I rediscovered my MXR Dsitortion+, which isn't right for this song, but sounds so much cleaner than the Tonelab options. So I now have my eye on the MXR Super Badass... once I get some cash.