[SOLVED] Problem with Mackie ProFx10v3

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jcgm60
Established Member

[SOLVED] Problem with Mackie ProFx10v3

Post by jcgm60 »

A few days ago I bought a new Mackie ProFx10v3 mixer, which for my needs is a perfect size and features. The device works very well and has good sound quality (after having to return two devices due to poor quality sound). Seeing that they were giving away software compatible with Linux made me think that the device would have no problems with our beloved OS. Nothing could be further from the truth since I cannot in any way get it to work. When I contacted customer service, they told me that just because the software is compatible with Linux does not mean that they provide support for this OS. I was willing to return it although it works very well on Windows, but I read a thread in this forum from someone who says they managed to get it to work. I have tried the solution you propose but I have not achieved anything.
Data: I use Ubuntu Studio, I have also tried AV Linux but the results have been similar.
If I open alsamixer the controls for the device appear, if I use the aplay command in a terminal the device also appears recognized and if I open the QasMixer application the device appears with its drivers as if it worked perfectly,
but when you try to use its inputs or outputs with any application like Ardor or Audacity the device is missing. If I use the QjackCtl application that in Ubuntu Studio shows the connections in graphical mode, the device is also missing.
I have been using Linux for many years, but I am not very skilled at doing low-level manipulations. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you all in advance.

Attachments
QaxMixer
QaxMixer
Pantallazo_1.png (87.39 KiB) Viewed 792 times
alsamixer
alsamixer
Pantallazo_2.png (52.11 KiB) Viewed 792 times
Last edited by jcgm60 on Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Problem with Mackie ProFx10v3

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

jcgm60 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:50 pm

[...] I read a thread in this forum from someone who says they managed to get it to work. I have tried the solution you propose but I have not achieved anything.

Do you have a link? According to the FAQ from Mackie themselves "You do not need any drivers to use the mixer with a macOS or iOS". That usually means that the hardware is Class Compliant and Linux doesn't need a driver either. Why they provide a Windows driver then is completely beyond me...

[...] If I use the QjackCtl application that in Ubuntu Studio shows the connections in graphical mode, the device is also missing.

You might not have started JackAudio (remark: I use an old Linux distro that doesn't have PipeWire yet, so your distro might do things very differently than mine!).

Do you know (yet) what PulseAudio, JackAudio and PipeWire are? They are "audio servers" on top of the Alsa audio driver. Anyway, since your Mackie audio device is recognized by Alsa and it is not the default device number 0 (zero) but 3 you could try to start Jack this way and then see if it's in qjackctl:

Code: Select all

jackd -d alsa --device hw:3

However, I've got a sneakin' suspicion that your distro uses PipeWire so somebody else should help you.

Good luck configuring your system! :)

jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

Do you have a link?

Yes, is here: viewtopic.php?t=26699

However, I've got a sneakin' suspicion that your distro uses PipeWire so somebody else should help you.

The truth is that I don't know if Ubuntu Studio uses PipeWire, as far as JackAudio is concerned I can say that it is initialized automatically when the system starts up, in fact the response to the command you propose is the following:

jackdmp 1.9.20
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
Copyright 2016-2021 Filipe Coelho.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
no message buffer overruns
`default' server already active
Failed to open server

Thank you anyway for your response, I'm still waiting for a solution.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

jcgm60 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:47 pm

Do you have a link?

Yes, is here: viewtopic.php?t=26699

Thanks.

jcgm60 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:47 pm

The truth is that I don't know if Ubuntu Studio uses PipeWire, as far as JackAudio is concerned I can say that it is initialized automatically when the system starts up, in fact the response to the command you propose is the following:

<<snip>>
`default' server already active
<<snip>>

According to the error message Jack has already been started. But it might have been started for the wrong audio device. You can try to determine for which device Jack's been started with:

ps aux | grep jackd | grep -v grep

You can try to stop Jack and restart it for device 3 (notice: after a re-start of Linux the device number might have changed). Stop Jack:

pkill -9 jackdbus
killall jackd

Now start Jack again w/ the aforementioned command. I hope it'll work. If not then I hope that de developer of Ubuntu Studio is active on this forum and replies or maybe there's a separate forum for it. On the Ubuntu Studio website the "Features - Audio" page mentions Jack and not PipeWire. However this page of theirs does mention PipeWire. Ubuntu Studio recommends contacting the AskUbuntu forum for support: they apparently don't have a support forum themselves.

Good luck solving the confusing situation, I'm afraid I'm out of options here.

puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

... I read a thread in this forum from someone who says they managed to get it to work. I have tried the solution you propose but I have not achieved anything.

If you have several USB audio devices connected, then you need something like this:

options snd_usb_audio vid=0x0a73 pid=0x0023 quirk_flags=0x20

Also note that latest LTS and stable kernels have a workaround for this firmware bug.

jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:10 pm

You can try to stop Jack and restart it for device 3 (notice: after a re-start of Linux the device number might have changed). Stop Jack:

pkill -9 jackdbus
killall jackd

Now start Jack again w/ the aforementioned command. I hope it'll work. If not then I hope that de developer of Ubuntu Studio is active on this forum and replies or maybe there's a separate forum for it. On the Ubuntu Studio website the "Features - Audio" page mentions Jack and not PipeWire. However this page of theirs does mention PipeWire. Ubuntu Studio recommends contacting the AskUbuntu forum for support: they apparently don't have a support forum themselves.

Apologies for the delay in answering:
There is a GUI in Ubuntu Studio from which you can configure everything related to JACK (Studio Controls), connected devices, the main device to boot with, etc. When I turn off the JACK service and try to boot it with priority to the ProFx10v3 device, even unplugging my Roland piano so it doesn't interfere, JACK simply is not able to boot. I can change the device settings (Sample Rate, Buffer Size,....), but in the end the message "Start failed" always appears.

puleglot wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:25 pm

If you have several USB audio devices connected, then you need something like this:

Also note that latest LTS and stable kernels have a workaround for this firmware bug.

Well, this attempt has also caused the connection to my piano to stop working (only the sound comes out intermittently) :shock: :P , the version I use is: Ubuntu Studio 22.04.4 LTS, but taking advantage of the failure and tried installing Ubuntu Studio 23.10 (which uses PipeWire), I have also tried with Fedora Jam and AV Linux, (that's why I took a while to respond) the results are always the same, the Roland piano works perfectly as soon as I plug it in, the Mackie ProFx10v3 never works.
I'm starting to think that maybe there is some conflict with the system's audio card.. ???. I'll start looking for help in other places AskUbuntu... and if I don't find a solution I still have time to return the device, I was hesitating between this device and the Behringer XENYX QX1204USB which has similar features, does anyone know if this will work well with Linux? :lol: :wink:
Thank you very much for your interest. I keep trying and if I find a solution I will tell it here.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Wait a minute. Is the Roland Piano he's talking about an audio device? I.e. does it behave like a sound card? That'll never work.

jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:07 am

Wait a minute. Is the Roland Piano he's talking about an audio device? I.e. does it behave like a sound card? That'll never work.

Excuse me, I already said in the first message that I don't have much experience manipulating the system, I'm quite ignorant. What will never work? I think the system identifies the Piano as if it were an external audio device. The piano has a single USB cable that serves as two-channel audio output, two-channel audio input, and MIDI data input and output, and it works perfectly. I give you the output of the command "aplay -l"

**** Lista de PLAYBACK dispositivos hardware ****
tarjeta 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], dispositivo 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdispositivos: 1/1
  Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0
tarjeta 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], dispositivo 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
tarjeta 2: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], dispositivo 0: ALC1220 Analog [ALC1220 Analog]
  Subdispositivos: 0/1
tarjeta 3: Piano [Roland Digital Piano], dispositivo 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdispositivos: 0/1
tarjeta 4: ProFx [ProFx], dispositivo 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

My system speaks in Spanish, but I think it is well understood.
For example, I connect the output of the system to the piano and listen to the audio through the speakers that the piano has, at the same time I direct the MIDI output to control another synthesizer that is connected by a
standard MIDI cable (as shown in the image) without problem. The problem is that the ProFx10v3 connections should also appear in that image. and they don't appear. ???
Sigo agradeciendo cualquier ayuda.
Un saludo

Attachments
QjackCtl.png
QjackCtl.png (228 KiB) Viewed 550 times
Last edited by jcgm60 on Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

jcgm60 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:58 pm

... the results are always the same, the Roland piano works perfectly as soon as I plug it in, the Mackie ProFx10v3 never works.

Please post dmesg output after plugging in ProFx10v3. It will show if quirk is indeed was applied.

jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

puleglot wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:48 pm
jcgm60 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:58 pm

... the results are always the same, the Roland piano works perfectly as soon as I plug it in, the Mackie ProFx10v3 never works.

Please post dmesg output after plugging in ProFx10v3. It will show if quirk is indeed was applied.

Sorry, I was talking about an image that I had not posted. The dmesg output is enormous and exceeds the limit of what is allowed, but I put the last lines that "appear in red" which I imagine are the most important:

[  625.053310] usb 5-3: new full-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd
[  625.198402] usb 5-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0582, idProduct=029c, bcdDevice= 1.00
[  625.198406] usb 5-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[  625.198408] usb 5-3: Product: Roland Digital Piano
[  625.198411] usb 5-3: Manufacturer: Roland
[  625.222402] usb 5-3: Quirk or no altest; falling back to MIDI 1.0
[ 1645.136416] usb 3-3: new high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[ 1645.264467] usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0a73, idProduct=0023, bcdDevice= 6.f2
[ 1645.264472] usb 3-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=3, SerialNumber=0
[ 1645.264474] usb 3-3: Product: ProFx
[ 1645.264476] usb 3-3: Manufacturer: LOUD Technologies Inc.
[ 1645.266921] usb 3-3: parse_audio_format_rates_v2v3(): unable to find clock source (clock -32)
[ 1645.269295] usb 3-3: parse_audio_format_rates_v2v3(): unable to find clock source (clock -32)
[ 1645.273295] usb 3-3: parse_audio_format_rates_v2v3(): unable to find clock source (clock -32)
puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

jcgm60 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:12 pm

[ 1645.266921] usb 3-3: parse_audio_format_rates_v2v3(): unable to find clock source (clock -32)
[ 1645.269295] usb 3-3: parse_audio_format_rates_v2v3(): unable to find clock source (clock -32)
[ 1645.273295] usb 3-3: parse_audio_format_rates_v2v3(): unable to find clock source (clock -32)

Yes, the quirk was not applied for some reason. Could you try to do this manually?

# modprobe -r snd_usb_audio
# modprobe snd_usb_audio vid=0x0a73 pid=0x0023 quirk_flags=0x20
jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

Well, I just discovered that I can send files.

Attachments
dmesg_exit.txt
(122.65 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

puleglot wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:17 pm

Yes, the quirk was not applied for some reason. Could you try to do this manually?

# modprobe -r snd_usb_audio
# modprobe snd_usb_audio vid=0x0a73 pid=0x0023 quirk_flags=0x20

I have a problem:

modprobe -r snd_usb_audio
modprobe: FATAL: Module snd_usb_audio is in use.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

I don't know what you want to do: record your playing on the piano on the Mackie? The Piano itself is already an audio device (i.e. like a sound card). In theory you don't need an extra audio device (i.e. the Mackie) for that. I ain't no expert on the USB kernel module (you'd call that a driver in Windows) that supports USB audio devices but it may or may not be a problem that one (the Mackie) needs a specific option and the other (the piano) doesn't. Puleglot may help you with that. :wink:

To troubleshoot I'd test my system once with ONLY the Mackie and then once with ONLY the piano.

For advanced users: try to record the piano. Do you have a link to it's webpage?

To the other: might it be a problem that both devices (the Mackie and the Piano) want to use the USB audio kernal module?

jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:46 pm

I don't know what you want to do: record your playing on the piano on the Mackie? The Piano itself is already an audio device (i.e. like a sound card). In theory you don't need an extra audio device (i.e. the Mackie) for that. I ain't no expert on the USB kernel module (you'd call that a driver in Windows) that supports USB audio devices but it may or may not be a problem that one (the Mackie) needs a specific option and the other (the piano) doesn't. Puleglot may help you with that. :wink:

To troubleshoot I'd test my system once with ONLY the Mackie and then once with ONLY the piano.

For advanced users: try to record the piano. Do you have a link to it's webpage?

To the other: might it be a problem that both devices (the Mackie and the Piano) want to use the USB audio kernal module?

Well let me explain, I have several synthesizers in addition to the piano, that's why I use a mixer, which in turn is connected to my studio speakers. Of course I can record the piano using Ardor or any other program and listen to it again later, for this there is no problem, but if I want to record the mix of several instruments at the same time or play it all while a friend has plugged his guitar into the mixer I need that the computer output comes out through the mixer that has its corresponding channel with the volume that I apply to it, (this is just an example). In Windows, as it has its driver, this is done without a problem, you choose which input you want to record and through which output you want the DAW mix to come out, I can record the piano through its own output or I can record it through the mixer applying the effects that This one has, since the piano's audio output is connected to the mixer, the other keyboards I need to record through the mixer. I could have another configuration, have any mixer even if it doesn't have a USB output and use any USB interface to record and play back in the DAW, but why do I want to have two devices if I can do it with just one? The problem is that I want to do it with Linux, because I don't like Windows and I don't want to use paid programs when I can use free software.
Regarding the tests, I will tell you that I have tried everything before looking for a solution here, the result is always the same Roland always works well, alone or accompanied, Mackie works perfectly in Windows with its drivers, in Linux it does not work, I have even installed the kernel more modern than what I can install from Synaptic in Ubuntu (6.5.0-21), I know there are some more modern but I have never compiled any kernel.
You say that Puleglot could help me, do you know how I could get in touch with him?

In any case, I thank you very much for the time and effort.