[SOLVED] Problem with Mackie ProFx10v3

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

puleglot
Established Member

Re: Problem with Mackie ProFx10v3

Post by puleglot »

jcgm60 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:33 pm

I have a problem:

Code: Select all

modprobe -r snd_usb_audio
modprobe: FATAL: Module snd_usb_audio is in use.

Try to unplug all USB audio devices before unloading the module.

jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

[/quote]
[/quote]
I'm sorry I didn't notice your name. Ok, puleglot, I have unplugged the devices and I have also stopped Jack, I don't know if I did it right, now:

$ modprobe -r snd_usb_audio
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:799 kmod_module_remove_module() could not remove 'snd_usb_audio': Operation not permitted
$ sudo modprobe -r snd_usb_audio
$ modprobe snd_usb_audio vid=0x0a73 pid=0x0023 quirk_flags=0x20
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'snd_usb_audio': Operation not permitted
$ sudo modprobe snd_usb_audio vid=0x0a73 pid=0x0023 quirk_flags=0x20
$ 
jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

Well, after this you have already achieved something, now the inputs and outputs of the device appear, :D this is already a triumph. But there is still a problem now the sound comes intermittently and when you listen to it it is distorted. :? This also happens on the piano (now USB:4) and on the PoFx10 (now USB:7). I haven't tried the entries yet but that will have to be tomorrow.
Thank you very much for your help.

Attachments
QjackCtl2.png
QjackCtl2.png (243.6 KiB) Viewed 432 times
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

jcgm60 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:16 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:46 pm

I don't know what you want to do: record your playing on the piano on the Mackie? The Piano itself is already an audio device (i.e. like a sound card). In theory you don't need an extra audio device (i.e. the Mackie) for that. I ain't no expert on the USB kernel module (you'd call that a driver in Windows) that supports USB audio devices but it may or may not be a problem that one (the Mackie) needs a specific option and the other (the piano) doesn't. Puleglot may help you with that. :wink:

To troubleshoot I'd test my system once with ONLY the Mackie and then once with ONLY the piano.

For advanced users: try to record the piano. Do you have a link to it's webpage?

To the other: might it be a problem that both devices (the Mackie and the Piano) want to use the USB audio kernal module?

Well let me explain, I have several synthesizers in addition to the piano, that's why I use a mixer, which in turn is connected to my studio speakers. Of course I can record the piano using Ardor or any other program and listen to it again later, for this there is no problem, but if I want to record the mix of several instruments at the same time or play it all while a friend has plugged his guitar into the mixer I need that the computer output comes out through the mixer that has its corresponding channel with the volume that I apply to it, (this is just an example). In Windows, as it has its driver, this is done without a problem, you choose which input you want to record and through which output you want the DAW mix to come out, I can record the piano through its own output or I can record it through the mixer applying the effects that This one has, since the piano's audio output is connected to the mixer, the other keyboards I need to record through the mixer. I could have another configuration, have any mixer even if it doesn't have a USB output and use any USB interface to record and play back in the DAW, but why do I want to have two devices if I can do it with just one? The problem is that I want to do it with Linux, because I don't like Windows and I don't want to use paid programs when I can use free software.
Regarding the tests, I will tell you that I have tried everything before looking for a solution here, the result is always the same Roland always works well, alone or accompanied, Mackie works perfectly in Windows with its drivers, in Linux it does not work, I have even installed the kernel more modern than what I can install from Synaptic in Ubuntu (6.5.0-21), I know there are some more modern but I have never compiled any kernel.
You say that Puleglot could help me, do you know how I could get in touch with him?

In any case, I thank you very much for the time and effort.

Makes perfect sense to me. :) I want the same with my modest collection of synths.

puleglot wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:29 pm
jcgm60 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:33 pm

I have a problem:

modprobe -r snd_usb_audio
modprobe: FATAL: Module snd_usb_audio is in use.

Again, I ain't no expert on kernel modules, but it appears that there's a problem if two (audio) devices want to load/use the same module in the kernel. This may or may not have to do with the fact that one device needs an option that the other doesn't... My advice: do NOT connect the Piano via an USB cable because your operating system (be it Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android or whatever) will think that it's an audio device then (like an audio card in the old days). Connect it via a good 'ol Midi cable or don't connect it at all and simply use it's "audio out" cable (if it has one) into a an audio device/mixer.

jcgm60 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:30 pm

I'm sorry I didn't notice your name. Ok, puleglot, I have unplugged the devices and I have also stopped Jack, I don't know if I did it right, now:

$ modprobe -r snd_usb_audio
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:799 kmod_module_remove_module() could not remove 'snd_usb_audio': Operation not permitted
$ sudo modprobe -r snd_usb_audio
$ modprobe snd_usb_audio vid=0x0a73 pid=0x0023 quirk_flags=0x20
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'snd_usb_audio': Operation not permitted
$ sudo modprobe snd_usb_audio vid=0x0a73 pid=0x0023 quirk_flags=0x20
$ 

The "operation is not permitted" because you're not root (the computer's administrator). You can execute a command as if you were root w/ the command sudo (super-user do). So it's probably:

sudo modprobe -r snd_usb_audio

But like I said: just simply do NOT connect the Piano that acts like an audio device to your computer. Like I advised you in my trouble-shoot post. And if you connect the "audio device piano" to your PC then do NOT use the USB cable.

Good luck, you'll get there. Linux has a steep learning curve. But remember: many audio problems are the same in Win, Lin and MacOS. :)

puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:27 am

Again, I ain't no expert on kernel modules, but it appears that there's a problem if two (audio) devices want to load/use the same module in the kernel. This may or may not have to do with the fact that one device needs an option that the other doesn't... My advice: do NOT connect the Piano via an USB cable because your operating system (be it Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android or whatever) will think that it's an audio device then (like an audio card in the old days). Connect it via a good 'ol Midi cable or don't connect it at all and simply use it's "audio out" cable (if it has one) into a an audio device/mixer.

This shouldn't be a problem because we pass vid/pid as a module parameter and the quirk is only applied to Mackie ProFx10v3.

jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

puleglot wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:44 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:27 am

This shouldn't be a problem because we pass vid/pid as a module parameter and the quirk is only applied to Mackie ProFx10v3.

You are absolutely right puleglot. :D I've been testing, and I think the problem must be somewhere in Ubuntu Studio, maybe in the kernel?? :?
I have tried installing AVLinux that uses a 6.6.9 kernel (I seem to remember) and after applying the code that you have proposed:

# sudo modprobe -r snd_usb_audio
# sudo modprobe snd_usb_audio vid=0x0a73 pid=0x0023 quirk_flags=0x20

, it works perfectly. I have tried Ardour and I can handle all the outputs and inputs without any problem, the sound is clear, without a trace of dirt. As I said, perfect. Looks like I'll have to change distro...
There is only one problem left: the changes are not persistent, every time I turn the PC off and on again I have to unplug the USB connections, run the code and plug the devices back in for everything to work. Could you explain to me how to make the changes permanent?

I repeat my gratitude for your invaluable help.

puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

jcgm60 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:47 pm

There is only one problem left: the changes are not persistent, every time I turn the PC off and on again I have to unplug the USB connections, run the code and plug the devices back in for everything to work. Could you explain to me how to make the changes permanent?

Ah.. I was under impression that you already tried that, but it didn't work for some reason. You need to create a conf file inside /etc/modprobe.d with the following contents:

options snd_usb_audio vid=0x0a73 pid=0x0023 quirk_flags=0x20

For example:

echo "options snd_usb_audio vid=0x0a73 pid=0x0023 quirk_flags=0x20" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf

If alsa.conf already exists in your distro, then change its name to something else.

jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

puleglot wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:54 pm
jcgm60 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:47 pm

Ah.. I was under impression that you already tried that, but it didn't work for some reason. You need to create a conf file inside /etc/modprobe.d with the following contents:

options snd_usb_audio vid=0x0a73 pid=0x0023 quirk_flags=0x20

For example:

echo "options snd_usb_audio vid=0x0a73 pid=0x0023 quirk_flags=0x20" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf

If alsa.conf already exists in your distro, then change its name to something else.

Well, I think I can consider this issue as resolved, the conclusion in my case is that the Kernel version of Ubuntu Studio is not capable of handling this machine properly, I have tried AVLinux (running from a pendrive, without the need to install it) which uses a more modern Kernel and making the modifications that you have proposed works perfectly. In Ubuntu Studio these modifications make the device visible to applications but do not make the audio work well.

Thanks again for the lesson, it shows that you know. As I said at the beginning, I have been using Linux for many years, but I don't handle it well at a low level.

Greetings.
Juan.