Qtractor and plugin control from recorded clip doesn't work?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bluebell
Established Member

Re: Qtractor and plugin control from recorded clip doesn't work?

Post by bluebell »

Tapper wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:20 am

Hi.

• In Qtractor I set midi track

• Added Liquidsfz plugin with sample bank to that track

• Added filter plugin after Liquidsfz

• In filter plugin binded modwheel control to frequency parameter (I see it reacting to modwheel on keyboard)

• Recorded midi clip with notes and modwheel controller.

• Filter does not respond to modwheel controller data from clip

I just can't make it work from recorded clip. I know that I can record automation directly to the track, but I want It stay embeded in the clip so I could copy and paste, and move around the track without loosing automation synchronization.
@rncbc , You are the master of Qtractor, can you help me with that?

What filter plugin do you use?

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Tapper
Established Member

Post by Tapper »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:38 am

I have that problem too when I use YABridge (its developer is active on this forum) in Qtractor....

Now why does the scan process timeout or crash? Well, the following could be the reason. Some VST's, during scanning, want to show a dialog (nag) screen if they need a serial number to be entered or they show an error message. Since there's no input from the user to make the screen disappear it's considered to be a crash or it times out.

My workaround: manually install only the VST's that work. That is: don't let Yabridge automatically add every VST that you have to its list.

Hope this helps.

No I don't use Yabridge nor windows vst at all. Tried to look at Qtractors output in console, didn't found anything about sfiz, only some suspicious lines, something about wrong convolution frequency requires48000, but host is at 44100 (sorry, far from laptop now, can't paste here now). Very strange, because my system running at 48000. Even tried to change it to 96000, no difference. Maybe this is a part of sfizz scanning output, maybe not. Anyway, safest way I found - use only one sfizz lv2plugin per project, because if more, Qtractor hangs and crashes at opening project. And it was like that for ages.

Tapper
Established Member

Post by Tapper »

bluebell wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:50 am

Audio filter which goes after liquidsfz. In fact, any effect plugin in the stack that you want to control via midi controller events. (I know about automation tracks, I want to avoid them)

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Tapper wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:20 pm
bluebell wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:50 am

Audio filter which goes after liquidsfz. In fact, any effect plugin in the stack that you want to control via midi controller events. (I know about automation tracks, I want to avoid them)

Which audio filter? There are plenty. Some can "MIDI learn", that would be the best. I tried Calf Filter but I couldn't get MIDI learn to work. So I found another solution:

• Select "Dedicated MIDI control input/ouput" in View-> Options -> MIDI
  • Create MIDI output Bus, I called it "Wah"
  • Create MIDI track with input "Master" and output "Wah"
  • Insert and set up liquidsfz and a filter plugin
  • Right click on the filter plugin, click Properties …
  • Click the clear LED of the desired parm, e.g. Frequency
  • Use "Modulation Wheel (Coarse)" as Parameter
  • Click "Inputs", "Wah" on the left And "Control" on right part of the window
  • Set Track-> Auto Monitor
  • Click track to make it active

Now the mod wheel controls your plugin, live and when playing the recorded clip.

simplescreenrecorder-2024-02-25_14.12.24.mkv.zip
(204.42 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
wah.qtz.zip
(4.2 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
cc.png
cc.png (48.03 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Last edited by bluebell on Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Tapper wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:52 am

Hm... Checked in settings menu - It was blacklisted in Qtractor (and some other pluggins to). Removed from blacklist, reloaded, restarted Qtractor, It still apears in blacklisted. Maybe something wrong with plugin.

Tapper wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:10 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:38 am

I have that problem too when I use YABridge (its developer is active on this forum) in Qtractor. See this topic. Apparently in Qtractor (according to Rui [Qtractor's developer] in aforementioned topic) "plugins are added to blacklist automatically if they crash or timeout on the scan process".

Now why does the scan process timeout or crash? Well, the following could be the reason. Some VST's, during scanning, want to show a dialog (nag) screen if they need a serial number to be entered or they show an error message. Since there's no input from the user to make the screen disappear it's considered to be a crash or it times out.

My workaround: manually install only the VST's that work. That is: don't let Yabridge automatically add every VST that you have to its list.

Hope this helps.

No I don't use Yabridge nor windows vst at all. Tried to look at Qtractors output in console, didn't found anything about sfiz, only some suspicious lines, something about wrong convolution frequency requires48000, but host is at 44100 (sorry, far from laptop now, can't paste here now). Very strange, because my system running at 48000. Even tried to change it to 96000, no difference. Maybe this is a part of sfizz scanning output, maybe not. Anyway, safest way I found - use only one sfizz lv2plugin per project, because if more, Qtractor hangs and crashes at opening project. And it was like that for ages.

Hmmmm. Does it help to temporarily disable the other plug-ins that Qtractor blacklists? Just to troubleshoot the problem? The plugin you want to use (Sfizz? Liquidsfz?) appears to work when Rui uses it in Qtractor. Or is that another sfz plugin (as you can see I have no experience with the sort of plugins you want to use, sorry...). I see that Liquidsfz can be compiled from source and that they offer a pre-compiled LV2 binary. Which do you use?

If Qtractor blacklists it, it ain't never gonna work of course. The only reason I can come up with why it would be blacklisted is that it wants to show a message window when Qtractor scans for it (causing a time-out). Qtractor's developer (Rui Nuno Capela, aka rncbc here on the forum) says so himself. There might be 100 other reasons why it would be blacklisted, but this is just my experience...

Good luck troubleshooting! :)

P.S. I tried to use Liquidsfz in Qtractor an it looks like this:

P.S.2 Is one of the plugins you actually use blacklisted or a plugin we're not talking about in this topic?

Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

In Qtractor you can map a plugin's parameter without an additional MIDI bus as well.

Just use a MIDI insert send in your MIDI track and use this as MIDI input for the plugin to be controlled:

1.png
1.png (106.14 KiB) Viewed 345 times

Tapper
Established Member

Post by Tapper »

bluebell wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:04 pm

In Qtractor you can map a plugin's parameter without an additional MIDI bus as well.

Just use a MIDI insert send in your MIDI track and use this as MIDI input for the plugin to be controlled:

1.png

Thank you, Finally get it. Send Insert to Control And in parameter binding window check Hook.

Thank you for your patience.