Qtractor and plugin control from recorded clip doesn't work?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Tapper
Established Member

Qtractor and plugin control from recorded clip doesn't work?

Post by Tapper »

Hi.

• In Qtractor I set midi track

• Added Liquidsfz plugin with sample bank to that track

• Added filter plugin after Liquidsfz

• In filter plugin binded modwheel control to frequency parameter (I see it reacting to modwheel on keyboard)

• Recorded midi clip with notes and modwheel controller.

• Filter does not respond to modwheel controller data from clip

I just can't make it work from recorded clip. I know that I can record automation directly to the track, but I want It stay embeded in the clip so I could copy and paste, and move around the track without loosing automation synchronization.
@rncbc , You are the master of Qtractor, can you help me with that?

rncbc
Established Member

Re: Qtractor and plugin control from recorded clip doesn't work?

Post by rncbc »

Tapper wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:20 am

[*]Added filter plugin after Liquidsfz

what kind of filter plugin?

if of MIDI filter kind then you should insert it before the instrument plugin (liquidsfz), not after, which is the place for audio_fx plugins.

Tapper
Established Member

Post by Tapper »

Oh, sorry, no, not midi filter, audio filter. I use it as a Wah pedal. First goes Liquidsfizz, then this plugin. I recorded midi clip with midi notes and modwheel pattern. Now I want to duplicate this thru the song, or move to different place on timeline. If modwheel data is embedded with this clip, then I don't need to worry about anything. But if I record an automation track - then it is a problem in this case.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Tapper wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:42 pm

Oh, sorry, no, not midi filter, audio filter. I use it as a Wah pedal. First goes Liquidsfizz, then this plugin. I recorded midi clip with midi notes and modwheel pattern. Now I want to duplicate this thru the song, or move to different place on timeline. If modwheel data is embedded with this clip, then I don't need to worry about anything. But if I record an automation track - then it is a problem in this case.

Correct MIDI channel set up in the filter plugin?

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

well then. the assigned MIDI Controller (modwheel) responds only to external input (via Control input bus, if dedicated or the first input bus, usually Master In); it doesn't respond to performance or media content MIDI data in tracks and clips, at least so directly.

you might try an external loopback, like, MIDI Master Out -> MIDI Control In, but I'll advise you to be really careful about this move--coz you might end with an infinite recursion positive feedback loop, that will end freezing and utterly killing your entire system, after it starts behaving weird :)...

Tapper
Established Member

Post by Tapper »

the assigned MIDI Controller (modwheel) responds only to external input

:(

you might try an external loopback, like, MIDI Master Out -> MIDI Control

No, this doesn't work. It does anything but that.

So it is not implemented? :( Sorry to hear that. Tried Ardour - same thing. Why the world is so cruel to me!!! :( :lol:

If anyone could do such thing... Why it is not implemented anywhere? It's so obvious :)

Ok. Thank you for quick response.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tapper wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:39 pm

If anyone could do such thing... Why it is not implemented anywhere?

Midi CC automation via clips works fine in MusE, afaik, for plugins loaded on a synth track *), if those plugins support it. That's definitely handy, although the handling of blocks of audio automation is not anymore as cumbersome as it used to be either, with MusE 4.2.

*) That goes for effect plugins too. If you need midi control, you must load them on a synth track, not in the effects rack.

rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

the assigned MIDI Controller (modwheel) responds only to external input

:(

you might try an external loopback, like, MIDI Master Out -> MIDI Control

No, this doesn't work. It does anything but that.

as @bluebell noticed, you'll need to exactly match the MIDI channels of the track sending the "control data" and the one of the MIDI controller assigned to the filter plugin's subject parameter.

anyway, as @Impostor suggested, iif the filter plugin itself supports MIDI Learn of the parameter of interest then you have your problem solved; if not, then sorry to tell, you're left only with the MIDI loop-back contraption or use normal automation as is most recommended still.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Or, use a Carla plugin. Loading String Machine vst (having no native midi control) inside Carla will give you a parameters tab where you can assign midi control. Playing a clip with relevant midi data does indeed automate the parameter I assigned to it. (In MusE, probably Qtractor too). You don't see movement in the screenshot but it's there :)

Attachments
action.png
action.png (118.62 KiB) Viewed 509 times
Tapper
Established Member

Post by Tapper »

Impostor wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:49 pm

If anyone could do such thing... Why it is not implemented anywhere?

Midi CC automation via clips works fine in MusE, afaik, for plugins loaded on a synth track *), if those plugins support it. That's definitely handy, although the handling of blocks of audio automation is not anymore as cumbersome as it used to be either, with MusE 4.2.

*) That goes for effect plugins too. If you need midi control, you must load them on a synth track, not in the effects rack.

I like Muse a lot. But unfortunately, VST3 is not supported (yet?). I need some vst plugins. And it crashes even more than Qtractor. But I am trying it from time to time. Best wishes to this project and it's developers. Maybe it's time to download new nightly build and give it another try? Thank you.

And thank you for pointing to Carla. I would be happy if something like that would be in place of effects stack by default. Lots of patching possibilities. But unfortunately, in Carla I can't load sound library to Libsfz inside Carla, there is no file selector (or I didn't get it?). Tried Sfizz instead of libsfz, but it is buggy (or it's a Qtractors fault? don't know) - If I use two or more sfizz plugins per project, then I can't open it after saving and restarting. Qtractor just crashes. So I use it only for drums as it supports mute groups.

Tapper
Established Member

Post by Tapper »

rncbc wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:27 pm

as @bluebell noticed, you'll need to exactly match the MIDI channels of the track sending the "control data" and the one of the MIDI controller assigned to the filter plugin's subject parameter.

I tried lots of combinations yesterday, right channel settings, inserts/returns... No. I don't like to fighting against the program, it just can't do it normally. Unfortunately.

As for midi-learn - ladspa plugins doesn't have it and lot's of lv2 plugins also.

By the way, I noticed yesterday - Qtractor and Ardour ignores some VST3 plugins. Sfizz, for example. Why? I thought, maybe VST3 version will not crash, but it just not there. Maybe it's a Sfizz problem.

rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Tapper wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:33 am

Qtractor and Ardour ignores some VST3 plugins. Sfizz, for example. Why? I thought, maybe VST3 version will not crash, but it just not there. Maybe it's a Sfizz problem.

dunno about ardour but it's found and does work here:

Attachments
qtractor_sfizz-vst3_20240225-0945.png
qtractor_sfizz-vst3_20240225-0945.png (144.15 KiB) Viewed 484 times
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tapper wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:20 am

But unfortunately, in Carla I can't load sound library to Libsfz inside Carla, there is no file selector (or I didn't get it?).

You don't need to load your sampler into Carla, just the effect you want midi control over. If I load Pianoteq, and below that, Carla, on the same track, add a Calf effect in Carla, assign CC-1 control to some parameter in Carla's parameters tab, record modulation into a clip, then playing back that clip does indeed automate Calf's relevant parameter.

Tapper
Established Member

Post by Tapper »

rncbc wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:50 am

Hm... Checked in settings menu - It was blacklisted in Qtractor (and some other pluggins to). Removed from blacklist, reloaded, restarted Qtractor, It still apears in blacklisted. Maybe something wrong with plugin.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Tapper wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:52 am
rncbc wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:50 am

Hm... Checked in settings menu - It was blacklisted in Qtractor (and some other pluggins to). Removed from blacklist, reloaded, restarted Qtractor, It still apears in blacklisted. Maybe something wrong with plugin.

I have that problem too when I use YABridge (its developer is active on this forum) in Qtractor. See this topic. Apparently in Qtractor (according to Rui in aforementioned topic) "plugins are added to blacklist automatically if they crash or timeout on the scan process".

Now why does the scan process timeout or crash? Well, the following could be the reason. Some VST's, during scanning, want to show a dialog (nag) screen if they need a serial number to be entered or they show an error message. Since there's no input from the user to make the screen disappear it's considered to be a crash or it times out.

My workaround: manually install only the VST's that work. That is: don't let Yabridge automatically add every VST that you have to its list.

Hope this helps.