Is there any way to scale wine VSTs up for 4K displays?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

serqetry
Established Member

Is there any way to scale wine VSTs up for 4K displays?

Post by serqetry »

I'm going blind looking at tiny VSTs on my 4K monitor. Is there any way to scale them up by 2x or something? I already have UI scaling set in KDE, but it doesn't affect wine.

Edit: I discovered the DPI setting in winecfg affects some plugins but not others. Looks like VST3 are affected. If someone knows how to 2x scale VST2 plugins I would very much like to know how. Thanks.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Re: Is there any way to scale wine VSTs up for 4K displays?

Post by Audiojunkie »

Me too! 🙂

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

I think the answer to this is basically "no". Some are OK, some are intransigent.

With the release of some excellent Linux-native plugins I find I use Win plugins almost never these days. The only holdout for a while was TDR Nova dynamic EQ for which I couldn't find a satisfactory native alternative. Now we have Auburn Sounds Lens which, while not an actual dynamic EQ, can be used for similar results.
Next time I install a new audio production system it won't have any of that silly Wine stuff.

serqetry
Established Member

Post by serqetry »

sunrat wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:10 am

I think the answer to this is basically "no". Some are OK, some are intransigent.

With the release of some excellent Linux-native plugins I find I use Win plugins almost never these days. The only holdout for a while was TDR Nova dynamic EQ for which I couldn't find a satisfactory native alternative. Now we have Auburn Sounds Lens which, while not an actual dynamic EQ, can be used for similar results.
Next time I install a new audio production system it won't have any of that silly Wine stuff.

Well I always prefer Linux-native software, but coming from MacOS/Logic I own plugins that I can still use since I can also download the windows VST versions.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

serqetry wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:21 pm

I'm going blind looking at tiny VSTs on my 4K monitor. Is there any way to scale them up by 2x or something? I already have UI scaling set in KDE, but it doesn't affect wine.

Edit: I discovered the DPI setting in winecfg affects some plugins but not others. Looks like VST3 are affected. If someone knows how to 2x scale VST2 plugins I would very much like to know how. Thanks.

I suppose it depends much on plugin itself. Some plugins UI is scalable, some not. And I bet same problems are present with same plugins also when running them in windows.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Supposedly WINE and Wayland (and X11) all have the ability to scale up. The key to ask yourself, is if the Windows plugins you are trying to use support scaling up on Windows. If not, you'll probably not be able to scale up on linux either.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

tavasti wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:53 am
serqetry wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:21 pm

I suppose it depends much on plugin itself. Some plugins UI is scalable, some not. And I bet same problems are present with same plugins also when running them in windows.

Whoops! You beat me to the answer!! I guess I can just concur. I agree with what tavasti said ^^^ : :)

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

With all that said, if your monitors support standard 1080p (1920x1080 pixels), you could run your monitor at that resolution and use things that way.

serqetry
Established Member

Post by serqetry »

Audiojunkie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:12 pm

With all that said, if your monitors support standard 1080p (1920x1080 pixels), you could run your monitor at that resolution and use things that way.

That's not a solution. It would make everything else on screen intolerable to look at. However I did find something similar that works, KDE has a screen effect where you can use hotkeys to zoom the screen temporarily. Not great, but it gets the job done. But you need to set it to "push" mode, otherwise (at least for me) it causes motion sickness... lol.

I wanted to know if it was possible to scale those VSTs, and apparently it isn't. So my question has been answered. It's obviously best to just try to move away from those old plugins that are too tiny.

Last edited by serqetry on Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

For me 4k resolution would be ok in 46" monitor (same pixel density than FullHD in 23"). My eyesight is not that good that I would need more than fullhd in 'normal' monitor. And on that 46", scaling would not be a problem :-)

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

serqetry wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:35 pm
Audiojunkie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:12 pm

That's not a solution. It would make everything else on screen intolerable to look at. However I did find something similar that works, KDE has a screen effect where you can use hotkeys to zoom the screen temporarily. Not great, but it gets the job done. But you need to set it to "push" mode, otherwise (at least for me) it causes motion sickness... lol.

I wanted to know if it was possible to scale those VSTs, and apparently it isn't. So my question has been answered. It's obviously best to just try to move away from those old plugins that are too tiny.

Unfortunately, you are correct. I've been building a list of plugins that work for me with my 4k high resolution laptop. That's really what has to be done--move away from the old ones that don't support modern equipment.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

tavasti wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:38 pm

For me 4k resolution would be ok in 46" monitor (same pixel density than FullHD in 23"). My eyesight is not that good that I would need more than fullhd in 'normal' monitor. And on that 46", scaling would not be a problem :-)

I totally agree! 4k on a 46" monitor would be a dream! On my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga gen5 with 14 inch monitor? Not so much... :lol: Thank goodness for HiDPI and 200% scaling! :)

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Audiojunkie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:36 pm
tavasti wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:38 pm

I totally agree! 4k on a 46" monitor would be a dream! On my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga gen5 with 14 inch monitor? Not so much... :lol: Thank goodness for HiDPI and 200% scaling! :)

My dream monitor would be something like 24" monitor streched bit higher, so that it would be 1:1 ratio. 3 of them would be good. Multiple monitors because a) I have 2 computers b) two separate virtual desktops provide more flexibility than one bigger.