arch alternatives

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

arch alternatives

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey anyone here using any of the arch alternatives and if yes, do they have special repos where Reaper is up to date and wine-staging?

In all my decades of using arch, this is the first time I've ever experienced them being so far behind on getting caught up. Wine-staging for instance was flagged out of date way back in mid-December and on the forum somebody asked about when regular wine would be updated in all the other branches and an admin said once wine is updated, all the other ones follow a few days after well we've been through since mid December I think two wine upgrades and yet wine staging still not updated and it was looked at 2 months ago.

Reaper as soon as you open the app and it tells you there's an update there, either a few hours later or the next day Arch would have it.

Right now they are two updates behind so it looks like either they are trying to really pull away from pro audio or the maintenance are sick because it's not the same guy doing stuff or at least those two packages. They're two separate maintainers.

So if any of the other alternatives for arch has specialty repos where the maintainers are quick with the updates, could you please share? Thanks!

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Re: arch alternatives

Post by Audiojunkie »

funkmuscle wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:10 pm

Hey anyone here using any of the arch alternatives and if yes, do they have special repos where Reaper is up to date and wine-staging?

In all my decades of using arch, this is the first time I've ever experienced them being so far behind on getting caught up. Wine-staging for instance was flagged out of date way back in mid-December and on the forum somebody asked about when regular wine would be updated in all the other branches and an admin said once wine is updated, all the other ones follow a few days after well we've been through since mid December I think two wine upgrades and yet wine staging still not updated and it was looked at 2 months ago.

Reaper as soon as you open the app and it tells you there's an update there, either a few hours later or the next day Arch would have it.

Right now they are two updates behind so it looks like either they are trying to really pull away from pro audio or the maintenance are sick because it's not the same guy doing stuff or at least those two packages. They're two separate maintainers.

So if any of the other alternatives for arch has specialty repos where the maintainers are quick with the updates, could you please share? Thanks!

Rather than relying on the AUR for this particular application, why don't you uninstall it, and then download it directly from the site and install it using the download script? It does the same thing, except you do it manually, and you can always have the latest and greatest. It's easy to do. You can even install directly over the top of previous installs of Reaper with no problems. Those are the words of Justin himself. I've never had a problem doing it manually. :)

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Reaper is in a repo? That's wild.... obviously arch is much different about licensing than Debian/Ubuntu..

Like @Audiojunkie said why not get Reaper right from it's website, super easy! As far as Wine-Staging you might be glad if they don't jump updates instantly Wine 7 and 8 both broke Plugin function quite a few times. On my production box if Wine-Staging is running all the needed Plugins I pin it's version and stop it from updating that way it stays working.. :wink:

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Glen yes I was actually surprised too when they actually put it in the official repo I yes I was thinking of doing the same thing. I don't care too much about using non-linux how are you plugins but there's not one sub ninja that I was hoping would work but I've noticed that every VST3 that I've installed or even regular VST has stopped working properly with wine staging. As I've mentioned in here a few times I'm in a condo and I cannot get this place treated so I use my headphones and I don't know about you guys if you're doing live instruments but trying to get that bottom end to sound good, that sub ninja app seemed to be something that can help a lot better than using analyzers and stuff like that.

luciorgomes
Established Member

Post by luciorgomes »

Have you tried the Chaotic-AUR repository (https://aur.chaotic.cx/)? It brings automated builded AUR packages. There are some Wine variations as Wine-TKG (https://madskjeldgaard.dk/posts/improve ... -wine-tkg/).
I'm using Wine-NSPA (https://github.com/nine7nine/Wine-NSPA), a variation of Wine-TKG with patches for proaudio (I built myself with the PKGBUILD provided).
I don't think that the constant update of Wine is a good thing. I keep mine locked for automatic updates.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

openSUSE Tumbleweed + multimedia:proaudio repository, no closed software, you have to install and update it maually

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Reaper isn't in the official repos as such. It's in the AUR -- the Arch user repository. The official repos are always up to date, perhaps too much for some people. I regularly update my kernel, and in the four years I've been using Arch, updating my kernel has messed up my system twice. It's easily fixed by rolling the kernel back.

I install packages from the AUR manually, and have to keep them up to date myself. I try to keep them to a minimum. Usually an AUR package compiles from source. With Reaper the package is called reaper-bin and it is using the .tar archive from the Reaper website as is, the same archive that would be used to install Reaper manually.

luciorgomes
Established Member

Post by luciorgomes »

merlyn wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:36 pm

Reaper isn't in the official repos as such. It's in the AUR -- the Arch user repository. The official repos are always up to date, perhaps too much for some people. I regularly update my kernel, and in the four years I've been using Arch, updating my kernel has messed up my system twice. It's easily fixed by rolling the kernel back.

I install packages from the AUR manually, and have to keep them up to date myself. I try to keep them to a minimum. Usually an AUR package compiles from source. With Reaper the package is called reaper-bin and it is using the .tar archive from the Reaper website as is, the same archive that would be used to install Reaper manually.

I don't think that reaper-bin it still available...
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages?O=0& ... &submit=Go

Don't you have a PKGBUILD?

Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

This is one of the big reasons I like using Manjaro. They hold back a lot of updates from Arch for a week or two so any bugs are ironed out before they get put in the manjaro repositories. That way you are still running up to date software without the risks inherent with being on the very bleeding edge. Not that they don't have issues but I've had a lot less issues with bad updates than when I used arch.

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

https://archlinux.org/packages/?q=reaper
Then what's this? They've just updated it..
I know I was surprised about a year or so ago when I did a pacman -Syu and it came in.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Robin Cherry wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:35 pm

This is one of the big reasons I like using Manjaro. They hold back a lot of updates from Arch for a week or two so any bugs are ironed out before they get put in the manjaro repositories. That way you are still running up to date software without the risks inherent with being on the very bleeding edge. Not that they don't have issues but I've had a lot less issues with bad updates than when I used arch.

This causes a whole heap of it's own problems. In theory this does make sense but the reality is that Manjaro has a rich history of questionable decisions and people's machines being broken because of version incompatibilities which weren't fully investigated by the team. Oh and the SSL certificate issue which has happened many times. I'm not trying to crap on Manjaro, it is alright and very convenient if it works for you.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

funkmuscle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:06 pm

I know I was surprised about a year or so ago when I did a pacman -Syu and it came in.

I don't know how quickly this gets updated after release but it is updated very regularly, I notice it in my updates every couple of weeks or so.

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sysrqer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:45 pm
funkmuscle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:06 pm

I don't know how quickly this gets updated after release but it is updated very regularly, I notice it in my updates every couple of weeks or so.

Yep that's usually the case that's why I asked here. Reaper was flagged for at least 2weeks but as soon as Reaper is updated at Cockos, Arch will have it up the next day or sometimes even later on that same day.

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

luciorgomes wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:49 am

Have you tried the Chaotic-AUR repository (https://aur.chaotic.cx/)? It brings automated builded AUR packages. There are some Wine variations as Wine-TKG (https://madskjeldgaard.dk/posts/improve ... -wine-tkg/).
I'm using Wine-NSPA (https://github.com/nine7nine/Wine-NSPA), a variation of Wine-TKG with patches for proaudio (I built myself with the PKGBUILD provided).
I don't think that the constant update of Wine is a good thing. I keep mine locked for automatic updates.

NSPA doesn't play nicely with AUR yabridge, The official repo's version they haven't updated in like a month or more. Something weird is happening with Arch. They're never this slow.

These packagers/maintainers I think have a higher priority set to other apps before audio as I'm seeing the packagers/maintainers for these apps updating other apps.

Maybe they're working on the Spring release. I'll be patient. Not a big wine user as for this reason but a few free useful apps for Win/Mac are available which doesn't exist for Linux I'd use but this alone has changed my mind back to sticking with Linux native.

Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

sysrqer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:44 pm

This causes a whole heap of it's own problems. In theory this does make sense but the reality is that Manjaro has a rich history of questionable decisions and people's machines being broken because of version incompatibilities which weren't fully investigated by the team. Oh and the SSL certificate issue which has happened many times. I'm not trying to crap on Manjaro, it is alright and very convenient if it works for you.

I've heard these criticisms before. I've been using manjaro for years with far fewer issues than any other distros including arch. It would be nice if the team could catch everything but the reality is that they are a small group of humans doing their best and any issues I've had have been few and far between, easily remedied by going to their forums, and not major. I lost count of the number of times that I updated my kernel with arch that would break some compatibility, usually nvidia propriety drivers, and have to fix things that other distros would have tested for and not released.

The SSL thing seems to be brought up often and parroted by a lot of arch people but again easily fixed. Of course it's sloppy and shouldn't be allowed to happen but it doesn't seem like as big a deal as it's made out to be to me.

There is no perfect distribution but for me manjaro suits my needs best.