Guitarix.vst v0.1 released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

Re: Guitarix.vst v0.1 released

Post by tramp »

a.d. wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:41 pm

Tramp, I recall you mentioning the jcm800pre in the past. I believe you'd mentioned it was going to get cleaned up. Is this the reason it's not in the VST?

Thank you for making this!

Yes, just I didn't manage to work on it. So I decided to ditch it in order to get a release done for the vst version.

glowrak guy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:53 am

I think a third default panel where an amp menu existed, and also selectors for cabinet or IR, would be more direct than finding those choices somewhere among the panels that appear when presets are selected.

The amp menu is only in the Amp Stack panel. Other than that you just need to press the "+" button on a panel to append a new empty panel were you could insert then which ever effect you want. You don't need to load a preset to create a preset from scratch.
True, it may differ from the workflow other amp sims provide, but that is because guitarix is more a modular effect rack.

On the road again.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

To get the Amp menu, I have to open a new panel, open it's menu, scroll down to the Reverb area, select the Convolver, and open the menu in the middle of the Convolver panel. The Ampstack only has a menu for choosing tubes. Maybe the Convolver panel could be open by default when Guitarix is started?

Also, if the Scratchpad would be immediately visible on startup, atop the presets menu, that would allow for saving a handy default preset containing the Convolver and a desired Amp. Thus saving scrolling down a long list of presets to choose the Scratchpad. Sorry if I'm missing things I've not read yet in the manual. Or not using the latest version. Maybe the info button could mention the installed version, and if a net connection is live, mention if a newer version is available? The colors, text size, and contrast are excellent!
Cheers

GX-amp-menu.jpg
GX-amp-menu.jpg (190.81 KiB) Viewed 846 times
GX-tubes.jpg
GX-tubes.jpg (76.73 KiB) Viewed 846 times
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

glowrak guy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:33 pm

Maybe the Convolver panel could be open by default when Guitarix is started?

As default only the modules you cant de-select will be open. That's the same as if you start a fresh guitarix installation.
It may be your personal preference to use the convolver in any setup, but, some people prefer using other convolvers, like the LSP one, or the ones from NaLex (https://nalexsoftware.blogspot.com/2021 ... lator.html)

Also, if the Scratchpad would be immediately visible on startup, atop the presets menu, that would allow for saving a handy default preset containing the Convolver and a desired Amp. Thus saving scrolling down a long list of presets to choose the Scratchpad.

I may implement submenu's to reduce the need to scroll down lists, that's a good idea.

Maybe the info button could mention the installed version, and if a net connection is live, mention if a newer version is available?

Yes, I could implement to show the version there, now that we have one, but I wouldn't implement a update connection.

On the road again.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Thanks for the feedback, and it makes sense. 8) And Scratchpad makes it easy for launching one's personal preferences.
Cheers

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

glowrak guy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback, and it makes sense. 8) And Scratchpad makes it easy for launching one's personal preferences.
Cheers

Thank you for your suggestions. I've implemented now submenus for the plugin, preset and IR selectors.
Yea, I like it a lot already much nicer and faster to handle. :)

On the road again.
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

I tested the previous version last year, which sounded great:

However, I couldn't directly find my way in it, unless with the existing presets.
There's just too much under the hood, too much trees in this forest!
And I mostly don't know which order to place all the panes and effects, the direction to follow.
There's a left and right pane, but is it going first left top to bottom and then right top bottom? I suppose.

I'm currently working with Mod Duo, which is made from Linux and works with LV2 things that are probably similar in Guitarix.
However, yesterday, there was something wrong and I had some scratches and interruptions in my recordings.
I thought: maybe I should try an alternative as backup plan, like Guitarix, or switch to Guitarix all the way as a more durable way of working.
Because with Guitarix, I can record non-destructive and edit the dry recordings later, as Guitarix makes the wet layer of effects. (that's not the case with Mod Duo, where I record the effects directly and can't edit it afterwards)

I never used the original Guitarix which is working via Jack Server, but I prefer this VST that can run directly in the DAW via ALSA. That's a real benefit, so you don't have to set-up anything else.
Maybe someday there needs to be more documentation or a manual around it, to get people started. Or a video tutorial on how to build your first presets, where to start choosing between all the options. There's really millions of possible connections.

Last edited by bulevardi on Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

I read about a Flatpak version too, which isn't updated anymore since 2 years, don't know if that's a legit version as the page shows "potentially unsafe".
https://flathub.org/apps/org.guitarix.Guitarix
Anyway, can't use that neither as it funtions with JACK. It should be available via ALSA or so.

Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

bulevardi wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:49 am

I read about a Flatpak version too, which isn't updated anymore since 2 years, don't know if that's a legit version as the page shows "potentially unsafe".

well, 2 years ago because that's the last release I've made for guitarix, last build was 5 day's ago there. "potentially unsafe" because it isn't completely sandboxed, it could read and write config files into your home directory, so, it has access to your hardware.

bulevardi wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:38 am

I never used the original Guitarix which is working via Jack Server, but I prefer this VST that can run directly in the DAW via ALSA. That's a real benefit, so you don't have to set-up anything else.

This new juce based vst version could as well build as a Standalone, then, it works with plain ALSA as well.
I understand that one may be overwhelmed by the amount of options/plugs in guitarix, mostly one needs no more than a drive, a amp and a convolver to simulate the cabinets.
However, when I'm finish with the NAM integration, you properly only needs 2 modules to get going.

bulevardi wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:38 am

I'm currently working with Mod Duo, which is made from Linux and works with LV2 things that are probably similar in Guitarix.

I'm using a DWARF with lots of fun. I'm knowing on MOD as "brummer"

On the road again.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

I tested It and it's great! Brummer you rock! Thanks for this amazing plugin, It kicks ass! Too bad unfortunately it's not going to work for me though, I use both the JCM800pre and the JCM800PowA on my presets, without them I am nobody :lol: , Just kidding. But definitely it's way better than using Carla to host guitarix in Ardour hahaha.

Thanks a Lot dear Brummer, keep Up with the great work!

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

tramp wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:25 am
a.d. wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:41 pm

Tramp, I recall you mentioning the jcm800pre in the past. I believe you'd mentioned it was going to get cleaned up. Is this the reason it's not in the VST?

Thank you for making this!

Yes, just I didn't manage to work on it. So I decided to ditch it in order to get a release done for the vst version.

glowrak guy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:53 am

I think a third default panel where an amp menu existed, and also selectors for cabinet or IR, would be more direct than finding those choices somewhere among the panels that appear when presets are selected.

The amp menu is only in the Amp Stack panel. Other than that you just need to press the "+" button on a panel to append a new empty panel were you could insert then which ever effect you want. You don't need to load a preset to create a preset from scratch.
True, it may differ from the workflow other amp sims provide, but that is because guitarix is more a modular effect rack.

Do you still plan to get it put in? 🙂

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Audiojunkie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:01 am

I'm not sure. With NAM support build in you've access to so many amp models . . .

On the road again.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

a little off-topic, you have now two ambiguous references "main", the tag and the branch name
I think it's better to delete "main" tag.
and it would be great to have a LICENSE file in the repo

Thank You for Guitarix (and Linux vst3 port)!

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Kott wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:04 am

a little off-topic, you have now two ambiguous references "main", the tag and the branch name

The main tag is needed for the so called "nightly builds". It get deleted and recreated on every push to the repository. That allow to upload the created binary from the action runner. The binary link on the project page pointed to this binary.

and it would be great to have a LICENSE file in the repo

I'll do.
You could assume for now that the same licences as for guitarix itself applies.

On the road again.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

tramp wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:33 am

The main tag is needed for the so called "nightly builds". It get deleted and recreated on every push to the repository. That allow to upload the created binary from the action runner. The binary link on the project page pointed to this binary.

maybe rename this tag to "nightly" ?
having two main refs makes Open Build Server fail on checkout: " refname 'main' is ambiguous"

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

tramp wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:44 am
Audiojunkie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:01 am

I'm not sure. With NAM support build in you've access to so many amp models . . .

And now, tell me, do we need the JCM800pre any more?
Checkout the latest commit, NAM support is implemented now.
Ready to use binaries (compatible now with distributions >= Ubuntu 20.4) been ready to download here:
https://github.com/brummer10/guitarix.vst

On the road again.