How to handle LSP "Dummy" Packages

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

foersu
Established Member

How to handle LSP "Dummy" Packages

Post by foersu »

Hello,

in the "Anwendungsverwaltung" (mintinstall) I find the packages LSP-plugins and several "Dummy Packages" like LSP-plugins-lv2.

Questions:

• what is the purpose of the dummy packages?

• do I have to install "LSP-plugins" and in addition one or more of the dummy packages?

• which package(s) should I install if e.g. I only want to obtain the vl2-Plugins?

Thanx a lot for your hints an advices!

My System:
Linux Mint 21.2 64 bit
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.8.4.

Impostor
Established Member

Re: How to handle LSP "Dummy" Packages

Post by Impostor »

I wouldn't rely on mint-distro packaged pro-audio applications if I had the choice. They can be years of bug fixes and features behind the current state of affairs. Better to grab newer versions from for example github or kx.studio imo.

You should probably never need to install dummy packages for new software. I think they're only there for back/forwards compatibility or something like that.

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

Impostor wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:11 pm

Better to grab newer versions from for example github or kx.studio imo.

Even kx.studio is frequently quite a bit behind, in my experience. I'll generally go directly to the plugin's own website, if possible. (For reference, current release of LSP is 1.2.14. Kx.studio has 1.2.12. Ubuntu 23.10 is on 1.2.11. I have no idea what Mint is at.)

As for the actual question, like Impostor suggested, dummy packages, if I'm not mistaken, are typically placeholders that are mostly there for backwards compatibility when for example the name of a package has changed. They probably simply redirect to installing the actual current package. I'm not a Mint user and I don't know what the package breakdown for LSP stuff is on Mint, so I can't say which one of them you need to install. (If there's an lv2 package that's not a dummy, you might just install that. Otherwise it might be that all the plugin formats are contained in a single package...)

Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

elcalen wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:39 pm

current release of LSP is 1.2.14. Kx.studio has 1.2.12. Ubuntu 23.10 is on 1.2.11. I have no idea what Mint is at.)

Mint is at 1.1.31

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

Impostor wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:44 pm

current release of LSP is 1.2.14. Kx.studio has 1.2.12. Ubuntu 23.10 is on 1.2.11. I have no idea what Mint is at.)

Mint is at 1.1.31

Oof, yeah, that is pretty old. The 1.2 branch was a major overhaul of the graphics, with a much more modern visual style. They've also added several new plugins since then, in addition to many fixes and improvements to the existing ones.

Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
foersu
Established Member

Post by foersu »

Mint is at 1.1.31

Having a look at the Anwendungsverwaltung of my system it shows me:
"Version: 6:1.2.12-1kxstudio1". I guess it means 1.2.12.

foersu
Established Member

Post by foersu »

At https://github.com/lsp-plugins/lsp-plugins/releases I found for the version 1.2.14 several files for the different architectures and different plugin formats.

Question:
are the same plugins contained e.g. in the file for CLAP and for LV2 and for LADSPA and for...?
If so, I would limit my installation to the LV2 plugins, presupposing that further files wouldn't bring anything new.

Last edited by foersu on Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

foersu wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:24 pm

Mint is at 1.1.31

Having a look at the Anwendungsverwaltung of my system it shows me:
"Version: 6:1.2.12-1kxstudio1". I guess it means 1.2.12.

Ah, then you've added the kx repo to your sources already! Then you'll get the kx version indeed, which is 1.2.12. The 6 in front is put there so that the kx version will not be overridden by other versions. You should then just install the full package. But, if you prefer only one format, you can get that from github.

foersu
Established Member

Post by foersu »

@Impostor ,

thank you very much for your answer, which arrived during I was writing my post.
As I understand you, all files contain the identical set of plugins, it's only a matter of the different formats?
Just considering the functionality of a plugin: does it make a difference if I use it in LV2 or any other format?

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

foersu wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:50 pm

Just considering the functionality of a plugin: does it make a difference if I use it in LV2 or any other format?

The format you use very likely shouldn't affect functionality, as long as the host you're using properly supports the format you're using.

In theory the different plugin formats might have some features that others don't, but the differences (from a user's perspective) are quite minor, and if a particular plugin is coded to build to multiple formats, it's unlikely that they'll be doing anything very different between the versions.

foersu
Established Member

Post by foersu »

I downloaded the file for LV2 plugins: lsp-plugins-lv2-1.2.14-BSD-x86_64

After decompressing it, I see several files and directories.
I read that the plugins are "ready to use", they only need to be copied to specific directories. For LV2 in my case it would be /usr/lib/lv2.

Question:
which files and directories should I copy?
Unfortunately I do not find the possibility to include a picture of my file system in this post.
Here is the list:
liblsp-r3d-glx-lib-1.0.16.a
liblsp-r3d-glx-lib-1.0.16.so
liblsp-r3d-glx-lib.a -> liblsp-r3d-glx-lib-1.0.16.a
liblsp-r3d-glx-lib.so -> liblsp-r3d-glx-lib-1.0.16.so
lv2 (directory)
pkgconfig (directory)

Daniele71
Established Member

Post by Daniele71 »

foersu wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:30 pm

I think that this is for BSD system, not linux. lsp-plugins-lv2-1.2.14-linux-x86_64 is the right one.

My music: Youtube
GeekOsDaw: GeekOsDaw

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

I read that the plugins are "ready to use", they only need to be copied to specific directories. For LV2 in my case it would be /usr/lib/lv2.

So first of all, as Daniele71 said above, you've got the wrong version, look for the archive with "linux" in its name.

When you've got the right version, what you need to copy is the directory called "lsp-plugins.lv2". (LV2 plugins typically come as directories, which can contain one or more binary files and other data.)

An alternative location to copy it is in "~/.lv2". Most hosts will probably look in there as well by default, I think.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

elcalen wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:06 pm

So first of all, as Daniele71 said above, you've got the wrong version, look for the archive with "linux" in its name.

When you've got the right version, what you need to copy is the directory called "lsp-plugins.lv2". (LV2 plugins typically come as directories, which can contain one or more binary files and other data.)

An alternative location to copy it is in "~/.lv2". Most hosts will probably look in there as well by default, I think.

Are all those r3d-glx-lib files not needed?