Arturia Analog Lab Play: free and authorized

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Arturia Analog Lab Play: free and authorized

Post by glowrak guy »

Happy that Arturia's authorization tool and installers work in the latest AVLinux!

I just discovered Arturia have a light free version of Analog Lab V called Analog Play. The download was 3.6 gig, it took awhile to unzip, and then the installer slogged it's way throoo a rather
:shock: large number of bytes :shock: ...but the 100 free presets are really nice, including synths of course, a grand piano, a rich ethereal vocal pad etc, each 'sound' comes with some relevant controls, and a unique backdrop. The concept is a bit like an NI 'Play Series' or an IK Syntronik synth, more sound than knobs, fine by me for a free teaser. There were no issues registering the product with their system on my system. So time to be on the lookout for a sale price on a hardware product that has a deeper version of Analog Lab bundled up. Versions with 2000 sounds are bundled with some of their midi controllers,

$220: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ller-white

The link points to a store's guide for authorizing Arturia products, and the pics are worth a dozen words in a good tailwind 8)

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... -software/

https://www.arturia.com/products/softwa ... oglab/free

arturia-app.jpg
arturia-app.jpg (78.7 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Free-Analog-Play.jpg
Free-Analog-Play.jpg (166.5 KiB) Viewed 805 times
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Arturia Analog Lab Play: free and authorized

Post by glowrak guy »

After spending some time with this, I find the controls provided for these sounds provide a lot of possibilities beyond what the knob names indicate, so if you increase chorus, the brightness and timbre may come into more intense action when adjusted. Likewise, the time and movement controls may not behave the same from sound to sound, and with various effects boosted. But there are only 8 controls, so it's not difficult to create new presets as desired. The selection of the 8 controls varies among the presets, chosen according to what they feel customers will appreciate and utilize. With a hundred sounds in the free version, there is a lot of sonic material waiting to be discovered. The preset system has a 'save as' option, so I prepend changed versions with mod- and my- etc. The original preset author name doesn't get changed, keeping credit where it's due. Saved sounds will go to:

.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/Arturia/Presets/Analog Lab V/User/User

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Shame that their hardware's software doesn't work :(

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I'm happy their plugins and authorization are working in my setup. I don't have an Arturia midi controller, and most big companies don't
research making linux editors for their hardware, because they are in intense competition in the mac/win market, and it's 'battle stations, all hands on deck!' just trying to avoid being taken out buy some competitors innovations, drastic price adjustments, or desparation partnerships being formed.
I bet the steins of beer in afterhours corporate 'talks' in Berlin count in the thousands :shock:
Don't know what they drink for such sessions in Asia :wink:

Mustang Plug editor for Fender V1 modeling amps was reverse engineered, as I recall, and Fender refused to loan the dev a $100 V2 model, to keep things moving. Cheapscates. They could have sent him the last one in the warehouse, and kept it last in the accounts, as needed.

The software progress made in the FocusRite hardware support certainly is encouraging!
Cheers