I recently updated layer engine

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

eoiny
Established Member

I recently updated layer engine

Post by eoiny »

by update i mean throw out and started again. it's rhapsody player based - free and cross platform. Can anyone help me out and test, abuse and let me know of any problems.? it's free to download but requires email sign up but just use a throw away or enter anything and you'll get the download.
https://eoinodowd.gumroad.com/l/layerengine

thanks for you time.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Re: I recently updated layer engine

Post by Audiojunkie »

Very cool! I've been following this project. I don't have time to test right now, and I need to back up and rebuild my system before I'm ready to test things, but I'm definitely interested in the work you are doing! Thank you! :)

TheYke
Established Member

Post by TheYke »

Just gave it a quick try. Works quite well. Great work. My two thoughts about it: I'm not quite sure what the knobs next to the LFO frequency do. But maybe I'm just a dummy. And: it would be very nice to be able to stop the LFO completely and scan manually through the loaded file/selection so one could automate that.

I'll have an eye on this from now on!

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

eoiny wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:59 pm

Can anyone help me out and test, abuse and let me know of any problems.?

Thank you for sharing this interesting plugin.

A few things I noted:

• Layer Engine can't load some .wav samples, no error is reported to the user.

• Output volume is low, despite the meter on the bottom of the UI shows it almost touches the maximum when playing.

• The playhead is too fast, even at the minimum LFO speed. The other knobs on the bottom, beside the LFO speed one, are without labels, not clear what's their function.

• It would be nice the playhead (or play start?), as already suggested, to be user controllable with automations.

• Is not clear to me what's the behavior of the playhead: in some setting it seems to just scroll through the sample while in some LFO settings it seems to react to incoming MIDI notes.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

eoiny
Established Member

Post by eoiny »

thanks for the input and raising issues with it. i have a new build out that you can download and have fixed some problems: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/layer- ... mplesonics

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

eoiny wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:46 pm

thanks for the input and raising issues with it. i have a new build out that you can download and have fixed some problems: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/layer- ... mplesonics

Very nice update, now it's much more clear how the plugin works and how to automate it.

Would be nice if the sample is not removed when one clicks on the waveform and the filechooser dialog appears. One may click there by mistake or change mind about opening another sample. Now whatever is the choice, choosing another sample or cancelling the dialog, the sample is removed.

Also preset management feels a bit weird, I've not played with it much, so maybe it's just an early feel.

That said, great plugin. :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

evawillms

Post by evawillms »

I've been following this project.Works quite well. Great work.