AV Linux MX Edition 23.1 (AVL-MXe) Released!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition 23.1 (AVL-MXe) Released!

Post by GMaq »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:07 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing man. Very kind of you. :D

Of course, it's open source after all, why would I share an entire OS and not share a little fragment?

I'm curious, does it work for you? What Distro are you using it on?

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

GMaq wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:27 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:07 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing man. Very kind of you. :D

Of course, it's open source after all, why would I share an entire OS and not share a little fragment?

I'm curious, does it work for you? What Distro are you using it on?

Unfortunately, no. I get a very strange error on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 'Focal Fossa':

Code: Select all

$ sudo dpkg -i ./yadbridge_0.1.3-bookworm1-1_all.deb 
[sudo] password for xxxxx: 
dpkg-deb: error: './yadbridge_0.1.3-bookworm1-1_all.deb' is not a Debian format archive
dpkg: error processing archive ./yadbridge_0.1.3-bookworm1-1_all.deb (--install):
 dpkg-deb --control subprocess returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 ./yadbridge_0.1.3-bookworm1-1_all.deb
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hmmm,

Well it certainly is a "Debian Format Archive" so I'm going to guess that Ubuntu has restrictions or perhaps treats warnings as errors in it's dpkg implementation.. It installs fine on Debian systems here, I may look into it in the future but unfortunately I know very little about Ubuntu specifics..

Thanks for trying!

thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

Hello @GMaq ,

I am so excited with the AVLinux 23.1, and the underrated but quite capable Enlightenment Desktop Environment.
It seems that the fans at Distrowatch.com are impressed as well:

Image Image

You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:42 pm

Unfortunately, no. I get a very strange error on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 'Focal Fossa':

dpkg-deb: error: './yadbridge_0.1.3-bookworm1-1_all.deb' is not a Debian format archive
dpkg: error processing archive ./yadbridge_0.1.3-bookworm1-1_all.deb (--install):

My office machine is on Ubuntu 22.04 and both lintian and dpkg -I are OK with it so it should install. Maybe something with the download? The link Glen provided starts with http://, try replacing that with https://.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

autostatic wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:05 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:42 pm

My office machine is on Ubuntu 22.04 and both lintian and dpkg -I are OK with it so it should install. Maybe something with the download? The link Glen provided starts with http://, try replacing that with https://.

The orig. link (and the one with the "s") is dead now I'm afraid.

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Just downloaded it, it should still be active: https://bandshed.net/packages/AVL-MXe-2 ... -1_all.deb

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

thetotalchaos wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:58 am

Hello @GMaq ,

I am so excited with the AVLinux 23.1, and the underrated but quite capable Enlightenment Desktop Environment.
It seems that the fans at Distrowatch.com are impressed as well:

Thanks for sharing, I never take those ratings too seriously.. Someone in the reviews section has given it a 1 out of 10 so a pat on the back with one hand and a slap in the face with another...

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi all,

A minor revision to the original ISO has been uploaded, first post has been updated.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

autostatic wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:38 pm

Just downloaded it, it should still be active: https://bandshed.net/packages/AVL-MXe-2 ... -1_all.deb

I use a VPN. Apparently bandshed don't like that. And installs just fine now. You must have been right: something must have gone wrong w/ the download the first time... Thanks for the tips and help everybody. :)

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, GMaq and friends! Being 8) iced-in 8) , I had time to do a fresh AVL install. I downloaded the iso, and used dd
to copy it to an 8 gig sd card, which used about 5.6 gig.

I then installed to a freshly formated SATA drive, which went fine, even teh eeevvvillll grub cooperated after rebooting :shock: :wink:

Started trying things out. First off, I had a look in synaptic for things I usually install or remove, and would have followed my normal regimen, but things I rely on require a full jackd world. So I fired up qpwgraph, and within a minute realized it was not good for me, so went in to synaptic, and removed the entire pipewire empire, and filled in my normal jackd setup and tools. I then copied over my .vst, .vst3, and .u-he folders, linux Reaper folders, and the misc .config files. I quickly verified that Yoshimi, Rakarrack, Hydrogen and Guitarix could be recorded as a collection with Timemachine, so an excellent foundation was in working order!

Next, I started copying my .wine content, providing plenty of snack time, and came to grips with yabridge, adding the same plugin paths I used in my other AVLinux setups. After a brief run-through, my most crucial windows vst's and linux U-he collection seem very happy. I'm sure they even sound better!

I must say, this release is extremely impressive. Being able to prune and graft major portions of this system without drama, with copied instruments, effects, and configs...ready for use...is pretty amazing. Some of the mac/win horror stories found in popular forums are also pretty amazing :shock: :wink:

There is only one thing I need to change out of the myriad E settings, an easy google search no doubt. One thing I did discover about the default Terminology terminal, in it's settings panel, click the 'Background' option, and there is an opacity slider to adjust it's window transparency. I like it solid, myself, but it's there if you want to modify the default. Time to go break ice with my splitting maul, so I can get to the grocery store...
been 7 days :roll: Thanks GMaq, your man-hours must be stacked up into the thin oxygen on this one!!!
Cheers

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@glowrak guy

Thanks! Anyone who thanks me should double-thank my partner... she has been looking at the back of my head in front a screen most evenings for months.. BTW there are rumors on the wind (can't confirm) that Bodhi Linux and Moksha are making their way toward Debian... I'm guessing some of your theme screenshots in the other thread came from a Bodhi Linux install.. I will be staying with the upstream Enlightenment 0.25 camp for AVL but who knows, if the rumors come true a Moksha test VM may appear in my fresh AVL-MXe 23.1 dev box..

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

There was a time when I used Mepis and Bodhi, both had friendly and smart users, and the maintainers didn't try to reinvent wheels.
Some I think are now MX devs. I have a pclinuxos sytem with a user-generated enlightenment desktop that my wife uses, quite trouble free,
although a bit on the old side.

Those new to the E, rightclick a window titlebar, and a menu will appear where you can add that app's icon to the 'ibar' at the bottom of the screen, very handy to have a row of one's most used tools!
Cheers

MrZed
Established Member

Post by MrZed »

Just wondering if the latest version PipeWire 1.0. 1 (2024-01-11) automatically gets updated with the other updates that come down the pike.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

MrZed wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:02 pm

Just wondering if the latest version PipeWire 1.0. 1 (2024-01-11) automatically gets updated with the other updates that come down the pike.

I can't foresee that coming via the main Repos but it's possible it may come to the MX-Test Repo at some point. PipeWire packaging is handled by the MX Linux Packagers and is usually backported from Debian Testing from time to time..

Updates like this and other AV applications are most directly influenced by signing up at the MX Linux forum and making Repository requests..