Carla and my Windows 10 VSTs ???

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

NomadJago
Established Member

Carla and my Windows 10 VSTs ???

Post by NomadJago »

What are the realistic expectations of using Carla (or something like it) with my Windows VSTs? What I mean is does Carla use my VSTs and instrument libraries off my Windows 10 system? Or would I have to first use wine and install Kontakt on Linux, and somehow install Native or Spitfire's app on wine on Linux and download the instrument libraries to my Linux ssd disc in order to use the sounds?

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Carla and my Windows 10 VSTs ???

Post by tavasti »

NomadJago wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:26 am

What are the realistic expectations of using Carla (or something like it) with my Windows VSTs? What I mean is does Carla use my VSTs and instrument libraries off my Windows 10 system? Or would I have to first use wine and install Kontakt on Linux, and somehow install Native or Spitfire's app on wine on Linux and download the instrument libraries to my Linux ssd disc in order to use the sounds?

I am not sure what you ask, but there is possibilities:

1) if your 'windows 10 system' is in same computer just on another partition, you can mount it and use some them with Carla or yabridge. Most plugins are so complicated that they need stuff from register, various locations of disk, etc, so you need to install them under your WINEPREFIX, meaning you need to install them also to your linux. And then there is some plugins that can't be installed with wine, mostly authorization is problem.

2) if your 'windows 10 system' is separate computer, then you can use them from there with Audiogridder. That way, any plugin should work, and i addition you get your system load splitted to 2 separate computers.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

What @tavasti said and this. Kontakt appears to be (proprietary? Windows?) software by Native Instruments to play samples if I'm not mistaken. Is is a VST or (standalone) software?

Not everybody uses products from Native Instruments, Arturia, Ableton, etc. I'd even go so far as to say that (some) Linux musicians use Linux to not have to. I don't even know if Native Instruments actually makes instruments or (just) software. I use native Linux applications that I can install via my package manager. And I use Windows VST's which are "bridged" to Linux via Robbert van der Helm's YABridge (this kind and helpful developer is active on this forum). I don't know what the other software/companies are that you mention either (except for Carla of course).

I'm sorry: I don't want to come over as arrogant. It might help the average Linuxer if you explain what you are using concerning hardware, software and operating systems. This is an almost impossible question for me to answer even tho the answer might be straightforward.

forwardoff

Post by forwardoff »

Carla is a versatile audio plugin host that can run on various platforms, including Linux. When using Carla on Linux to host Windows VST plugins, there are a few considerations:

Windows VSTs on Linux:

Carla has support for running Windows VST plugins on Linux using a compatibility layer like Wine. This means you can load your existing Windows VST plugins directly into Carla on a Linux system.
Native Linux Plugins:

Ideally, using plugins native to the Linux environment is more straightforward and doesn't require compatibility layers. However, if you have specific Windows VSTs that you want to use, Carla with Wine can be a solution.