Fluida v0.9.1 released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

Fluida v0.9.1 released

Post by tramp »

Fluida is a LV2 wrapper around Fluidsynth
allowing to load and control Fluidsynth as LV2 plugin.

This release of Fluida add support for Windows.
EDIT// Quick fix symbol export

Attached been ready to use binaries for Linux Fluida.lv2-v0.9.1-linux-x86_64.tar.xz
and Windows Fluida.lv2-v0.9.1-win64.zip
To build from source, please download
Fluida.lv2-v0.9.1-src.tar.xz
as only this one include the needed submodule to build Fluida,
the zip generated by github wont build for that reason!!

On the road again.
alex stone
Established Member

Re: Fluida v0.9.1 released

Post by alex stone »

Tramp, I tested this yesterday, and it works, without any glitches so far. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Would you consider making a multi-timbral version of this, similar to the Calf Fluidsynth, where the user can allocate patches to 16 channels, in one Fluida instance?

Then we wouldn't need to load so many instances in larger projects.

I'd also ask if you could consider adding an .sf3 option for those soundfonts that have additional expressive implementation, and much better compression (reduces the size of the font, without sacrificing quality), like the Musescore fonts.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I'm glad to hear it works so far.

alex stone wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:28 am

Would you consider making a multi-timbral version of this, similar to the Calf Fluidsynth, where the user can allocate patches to 16 channels, in one Fluida instance?

Yes, I'm just working on a channel matrix.

I'd also ask if you could consider adding an .sf3 option

You could already load .sf3 files anyway.

On the road again.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

tramp wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:14 am

I'm glad to hear it works so far.

Yes, I'm just working on a channel matrix.

I'd also ask if you could consider adding an .sf3 option

You could already load .sf3 files anyway.

Good to hear the news on multi-timbral status.

And yes, I can load .sf3 files, it's just some of the patches won't load, particularly those marked as expressive. I'll certainly try again, and see if it's something else going on.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

That's my first attempt.

working nicely so far, will a bit fine tune it and upload it tomorrow.

On the road again.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

tramp wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:51 pm

That's my first attempt.

working nicely so far, will a bit fine tune it and upload it tomorrow.

Looks good. I'll keep an eye out for the announcement tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

tramp wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:29 pm

Fluida is a LV2 wrapper around Fluidsynth
allowing to load and control Fluidsynth as LV2 plugin.

This release of Fluida add support for Windows.
EDIT// Quick fix symbol export

Attached been ready to use binaries for Linux Fluida.lv2-v0.9.1-linux-x86_64.tar.xz
and Windows Fluida.lv2-v0.9.1-win64.zip
To build from source, please download
Fluida.lv2-v0.9.1-src.tar.xz
as only this one include the needed submodule to build Fluida,
the zip generated by github wont build for that reason!!

A huge thank you for this plugin!! It is very useful for me! :)

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

BTW, is there any possibility of getting attack and release controls? I've seen other players have access to those features, and it would be very handy. Thanks for your consideration in advance!

oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

I see SCL support. Does it have KBM support as well?

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

alex stone wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:28 pm

So it's done. I've just pushed support for the Channel Matrix Editor to the repository. If you found time to check it out let me know case you get any problems.

https://github.com/brummer10/Fluida.lv2

Audiojunkie wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:13 pm

is there any possibility of getting attack and release controls?

That is not planed. ADRS is usually part of the soundfont itself, hence I never missed controls for it on a soundfont player.

oddy.o.lynx wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:28 am

Currently there is only SCL support. I've started with KBM as well, but haven't finished that for now, so, it's disabled.
Mamba did support both,
https://github.com/brummer10/Mamba

On the road again.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

tramp wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:49 am
alex stone wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:28 pm

So it's done. I've just pushed support for the Channel Matrix Editor to the repository. If you found time to check it out let me know case you get any problems.

https://github.com/brummer10/Fluida.lv2

Audiojunkie wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:13 pm

is there any possibility of getting attack and release controls?

That is not planed. ADRS is usually part of the soundfont itself, hence I never missed controls for it on a soundfont player.

Currently there is only SCL support. I've started with KBM as well, but haven't finished that for now, so, it's disabled.
Mamba did support both,

Just tested, and it all works. I loaded a simple soundfont, allocated patches to channels, then routed tracks to the fluida instance, for each channel.

EDIT: Just tried 3 instances of Fluida in Reaper. I loaded all 48 channels with instruments, and saved the three 16 channel sets as presets.

When i opened the track FX window to view Fluida again, two of the instances showed the same patch in all channels, being the last patch on the soundfont, and one patch/channel window displayed the patch/channel names correctly, BUT, all the original patches I'd put in and saved as presets in Reaper were still assigned correctly, in all three instances. So the saving was ok, just the patches in the channel windows didn't correspond, the second time of opening.

I'm off to try all this in Muse4, to make sure this isn't just Reaper.

EDIT: Same thing happens in Muse4, and Qtractor. Additionally, in Reaper and Qtractor, Fluida opens correctly (size) and the popup window for channels does the same. In Muse4, Fluida opens full screen, and requires a manual adjustment to the window to get it back to normal size.

But whatever the window says (at the moment), the actual patches I loaded are saved correctly in all three daws.

CAVEAT: I'm on AVLinux MXDE, which uses Enlightenment as the desktop environment. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Nice work Tramp, and thanks for sharing. I'll continue to test for you to iron out the minor kinks. Another fine tool for our arsenal.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

alex stone wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:43 pm

EDIT: Just tried 3 instances of Fluida in Reaper. I loaded all 48 channels with instruments, and saved the three 16 channel sets as presets.

When i opened the track FX window to view Fluida again, two of the instances showed the same patch in all channels, being the last patch on the soundfont, and one patch/channel window displayed the patch/channel names correctly, BUT, all the original patches I'd put in and saved as presets in Reaper were still assigned correctly, in all three instances. So the saving was ok, just the patches in the channel windows didn't correspond, the second time of opening.

That's huge. So it's just a graphical issue, that's good. Seems that the instrument list may be send to early to the UI when multiple instances open at once. I've implemented a (hopefully) fix for that now (The GUI asked now for the list when it needs it for display). Latest version from github should display all instances correctly.

On the road again.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

tramp wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:06 pm
alex stone wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:43 pm

That's huge. So it's just a graphical issue, that's good. Seems that the instrument list may be send to early to the UI when multiple instances open at once. I've implemented a (hopefully) fix for that now (The GUI asked now for the list when it needs it for display). Latest version from github should display all instances correctly.

Ok, I'll test shortly.

EDIT: Qtractor, Muse4, and Reaper now display the selected instruments correctly, on reopening the channel window.

The only issue left so far is in Muse4, where the gui opens full screen, and i have to manually resize it. It opens correctly in Qtractor and Reaper, so i'm wondering if this is a Muse problem, and not Fluida.

Looking good for 2 out of 3.

Last edited by alex stone on Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

Mamba did support both,
[/quote]

KBM support is super important. A lot of my compositions use middle C at 261.626 Hz rather than A at 440.

At the very least it would be helpful if there was a way to assign C at 261.626 Hz or notes to a particular frequency. This is also one of SFIZZ' weaknesses.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

alex stone wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:32 pm

Qtractor, Muse4, and Reaper now display the selected instruments correctly, on reopening the channel window.

Thanks for testing.

alex stone wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:32 pm

The only issue left so far is in Muse4, where the gui opens full screen, and i have to manually resize it. It opens correctly in Qtractor and Reaper, so i'm wondering if this is a Muse problem, and not Fluida.

Seems indeed to be a Muse issue. Maybe @Tim E. Real could have a look what happen?

oddy.o.lynx wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:47 pm

KBM support is super important. A lot of my compositions use middle C at 261.626 Hz rather than A at 440.

Yes, it is. Current state is that Fluida could load kbm files (via drag and drop) and read them out. The missing step is setup and activate the MIDI mapper. That will come soon. I've done it for Mamba and I'll do it for Fluida as well.

On the road again.