Trouble installing Audiogridder on Linux

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Quaylebeast

Trouble installing Audiogridder on Linux

Post by Quaylebeast »

Hi all,

I am relatively new to audio on Linux. I've tinkered with a few Ubuntu-based installations in the past couple of years, and am now making a more concerted effort to see if Ubuntu Studio will serve as my main audio workstation setup.

Some of my projects involve some of the large sample-based instruments that (to my knowledge) won't install properly on Linux (particularly, for me, UVI libaries), and my hope is that I can use Audiogridder or an equivalent to connect to an old Windows laptop when I can't do without them.

I've tried to install the Linux Audiogridder plugin using the lastest AudioGridderPlugin_1.2.0-Linux.sh file from audiogridder.com. I enable the file as executable and run it in the Terminal, accepting the default paths.

Reaper sees the plugins but hangs on each of them, forcing termination. Bitwig throws up an error to do with the system tray utility.

My efforts to find a solution to this have not succeeded - could anyone give me an idea of where I'm going wrong? I am also aware audiogridder offers binaries for download - I don't have the knowledge to make use of them, but am willing be pointed to where I could learn.

Quaylebeast

Re: Trouble installing Audiogridder on Linux [Solved, sort of]

Post by Quaylebeast »

Just updating in case anyone is interested.

I switched to AV Linux in the end, and Audiogridder installed with no problems. Got it working well with the plugin server running on my old Windows laptop.

But then I tried a Virtualbox VM with Win 10 (Win 11 seemed a bit unstable) connected via a 'host only' Virtualbox network. On my Thinkpad P14s I just got 24 simultaneous instances of Diva running in the VM through to Reaper in the host, buffer 128, 3ms latency, with no dropouts (the audio hardware is the laptop's integrated, on ALSA). That's pleasing as it's not massively lower than what I would get with just Reaper in Linux (which, by the way, is consistently 10-15% better than what Windows 11 manages on the same hardware).

So it looks like I will be able to persevere with the Linux system for music, and perhaps not need the fallback of a second machine for occasional Windows needs..