Honeysuckers - Sign In The Sky

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

erlkönig
Established Member

Honeysuckers - Sign In The Sky

Post by erlkönig »

...like everything from that time - 1/4", 8-track and remastered with open source stuff from today
http://www.honeysuckers.rocks/media/aud ... y1993.flac

We hope, you like it!

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Re: Honeysuckers - Sign In The Sky

Post by Rainmak3r »

Apologies for the late comment, but I've been away from the forum for a while. Listened to the four tracks you shared right now!
It felt a bit like a dive in the past, since it brought me back to the 90's which is when I started to listen to rock music myself. I could hear some grunge influence, more than the 70's others mentioned (apart maybe Sign in the Sky, that's definitely more 70's), but Another Dimension reminded me of Ugly Kid Joe too: so yeah, definitely a nice old dive in 90's nostalgia for me :D

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Enjoyed this, but is there any way of bringing the vocal 'forward' ?

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
erlkönig
Established Member

Post by erlkönig »

So, first of all: thank you for listening! After two months, i hadn't expected someone to listen to the songs, or even comment. Thank you! :)

@Rainmak3r
indeed, that was the time, Grunge was coming up. But when i have a look back: Grunge is related to Seattle - but there where much more places, where this style of music rised, e.g. Only Living Witness, or Milligramm at the U.S.-east coast, Couffin Nails in France, my band at Westrich (France/Germany)...
In the beginning no one was interested in this kind of music, but after coming up a few bands from Seattle, the companies said: "Pretty nice, but you sound like XXX, YYY" (what was a compliment to me at that time, most bands whose music i learned to know came from a comparison like that), or they said "no, we have no interest, there's no market for this". The connecting thing was: we had bongs, they had bongs (but our bongs where much bigger than theirs :) ), but they had (and have) an industry, that was much better connected to zeitgeist.

@folderol
Do you mean by the mix or by the arrangement? I have here much more than one meter of 1/4" tape (in a row, stapled vertically), if i find the original, i will bring the tracks into my current system and mix the songs again. If not, i was surprised to find the old Stereomasters to do that mastering, you heared... so i don't know, if i can get more out of them.

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I on't know. It just seems the vocal is down in volume compared to the rest, and doesn't seem to have much top-end - maybe that's partly the mic that was used.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}