Surge-XT V2

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mcord
Established Member

Re: Surge-XT V2

Post by mcord »

oddy.o.lynx wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:47 pm

For those who might find building locally too difficult or outside their scope I have built an LV2 on Debian 12 and have hosted the binary on my Github page.

I've finally tried it with my WIP projects in Bespoke. It either crashes on session load, or all instances of Surge XT reset to their initial state.

I'm going to keep using 1.2.3 for now.

oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

But what's wrong with Clap?
I don't know the differences between all these formats, but I installed Surge XT last month and it worked right out of the box under Linux Mint.

The synth is a real beast, I'm not able to work properly with it yet, not that familiar with the whole routing and all the possibilities it has.
The only thing is missing is a 'simple' arpeggiator.
I think one should be able to do so via the step sequencer, but I haven't been able to create what I want.
U-HE hive is way easier to work with, but I want to switch to this heavy beast, which is free and more open source.

I need to find more tutorials for n00bs like me.

Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

bulevardi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:18 am

The only thing is missing is a 'simple' arpeggiator.
I think one should be able to do so via the step sequencer, but I haven't been able to create what I want.

I don't think there is (at least I've not yet discovered) a way to have a "classic" arpeggiator in the sense you hold a chord and the arpeggiator will cycle through the chord's notes. However how you already discovered you can arpeggiate single notes using the step sequencer.

It's worth to read the Surge XT manual to understand how to use it: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/man ... -sequencer
In short: you assign the step sequencer to the oscillator pitch, and set the triggers and pitch in the step sequencer. There are a few presets bundled with Surge XT using this technique. This is from the "Octave Arp" preset:

I need to find more tutorials for n00bs like me.

This is a quite in depth one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvBgb4HGx0

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

LAM wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:51 am

It's worth to read the Surge XT manual to understand how to use it: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/man ... -sequencer
In short: you assign the step sequencer to the oscillator pitch, and set the triggers and pitch in the step sequencer.

Will have to take a look on that in more detail on how to assign these things.
Is there a way to create a sequence where some steps are muted or where the volume goes down, or where a step is omited?

Get In Touch^^
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

bulevardi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:29 am

Will have to take a look on that in more detail on how to assign these things.
Is there a way to create a sequence where some steps are muted or where the volume goes down, or where a step is omited?

Muted/omitted steps = where trigger is absent
Volume down = you probably need another step sequence to program different volumes
You can even trigger only one between Amp Env or Filter Env on a step:

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

But what's wrong with Clap?
I don't know the differences between all these formats, but I installed Surge XT last month and it worked right out of the box under Linux Mint.

If it's working fine for you, there's nothing wrong with it. From a general user perspective, it's not supported by hosts as much as other plugin formats. It was meant to be some competitor for VST but when the creators won't even drop support VST support for their own products, there's not much point to it's existence.

gauderbock
Established Member

Post by gauderbock »

Largos wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:53 pm

...but when the creators won't even drop support VST support for their own products, there's not much point to it's existence.

No one involved has ever suggested dropping VST support. One of the whole points of its existence is that a plugin can be developed for CLAP and then easily wrapped into all the other formats, so there's only one codebase that's independent of any one company's whims.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

gauderbock wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:08 am
Largos wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:53 pm

...but when the creators won't even drop support VST support for their own products, there's not much point to it's existence.

No one involved has ever suggested dropping VST support. One of the whole points of its existence is that a plugin can be developed for CLAP and then easily wrapped into all the other formats, so there's only one codebase that's independent of any one company's whims.

I'm saying they should have not only suggested it but have stood by it with actions. I don't need to take your word about why it was created, the head of one of the two companies whose whim it was to make CLAP a new standard posted the reasons here. Wrappers are only mentioned pages in as some sort of well if no one takes it up, it can be used as a dev tool for other formats which is fine and I guess that's just what has happened.

gauderbock
Established Member

Post by gauderbock »

Nothing in that announcement suggests dropping support for VST?

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

No, that's my point.

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

I don't think there is (at least I've not yet discovered) a way to have a "classic" arpeggiator in the sense you hold a chord and the arpeggiator will cycle through the chord's notes. However how you already discovered you can arpeggiate single notes using the step sequencer.

I just stumbled upon 'Stochas' yesterday evening...
It seems to have everything on board I was looking for, (still have to test if things work out in my setup), but it's now managed by the Surge Synth Team aswel:
https://surge-synth-team.org/

Why haven't I discovered this earlier? The other projects should be mentioned on the Surge site too, or a link to the team's main website
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/

Kenny made a video on this 2 years ago, seems a very useful sequencer in combination with Surge. This needs more publicity ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUYL3jesf7w

Get In Touch^^
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

bulevardi wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:42 am

I just stumbled upon 'Stochas' yesterday evening...
It seems to have everything on board I was looking for, (still have to test if things work out in my setup), but it's now managed by the Surge Synth Team

Yeah, Stochas is great! I even made a color theme for it a couple of years ago:

Linked:
Themes for Ardour, Zrythm, Audacity, etc.

Stochas multi-layered step sequencer with easy scale and probability input