A New album from me

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

A New album from me

Post by folderol »

This is the title track of my... err... new album (EP) "Retro".

https://willgodfrey.bandcamp.com/track/retro-rock

The original composition of some of these go right back to the 1970s but the earliest actual recordings weren't made until the middle 1990s. One was composed as late as 2018. All have been revised and now use Yoshimi and Rosegarden exclusively.

Back in the day I used to play the organ part of Retro Rock along with the walking bass live. I can still (just about) manage to right hand part but not with the left hand as well. There are places where I hold an octave span with thumb and little finger while using the other fingers for chord inversions mixed with short melody lines.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
GMaq
Established Member

Re: A New album from me

Post by GMaq »

Nice! Brought to mind the Instrumental boom of the late 50's early 60's (Ventures, Shadows, Dave "Baby" Cortez etc..) I was surprised that Yoshimi could do such decent 60's organ... Kind of a Vox, Farfisa vibe in there!

Last edited by GMaq on Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

These songs remind me of the large but now-closed local amusement park, with it's Ferris Wheel ride and arcades. And also the
movie depictions of Englands coastal resort cities. I like the guitar parts/effects in Revival Rock, the slow-dance strings,
and the pristine organs throughout. 8)

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

GMaq wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:39 pm

Nice! Brought to mind the Instrumental boom of the late 50's early 60's (Ventures, Shadows, Dave "Baby" Cortez etc..) I was surprised that Yoshimi could such decent 60's organ... Kind of a Vox, Farfisa vibe in there!

Glad you like it. Back in the day, it was the only 'sound' that could get me up on the dance floor. After all this time, I still haven't found Yoshimi's limits. Lately I've been investigating percussion sounds (yes that's all Yoshimi too)

psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Golden Retro... amazing sounds, like travel on Time Machine... :)

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Thanks again Guys. The 60s and 70s were very much 'my' time for music. Also, the inspiration for Revival Rock, was a newly built and very modern local church, with an equally modern vicar who invited all sorts of musical performers to take part in services - the church was never empty :lol:
P.S.
Almost forgot - one time there was a stunning performance from an unaccompanied African choir - beautiful harmonies.