Koibito Ga Santa Claus (cover)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Koibito Ga Santa Claus (cover)

Post by Rainmak3r »

Hi all,

I know, I know, I quite literally just published my evil revisitation of Feliz Navidad, but as anticipated I had something else cooking, and this something is now finally ready!

I recommend watching the video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5aWlocKShs

but if you want audio only, it's available on my Faircamp instance (where you can also download it):
https://music.lminiero.it

In a nutshell, I've been in love for months with this old ABBA-style Japanese Christmas song called "Koibito Ga Santa Claus" (My boyfriend Santa Claus), by Yumi Matsutoya. At a certain point, I decided I'd record a cover, and make a silly video out of it for Christmas, like I did last year with the Odin one. This time, I enrolled my whole family, and asked them to send me some videos while listening to it: after a bit of editing and a lot of silliness, here it is! Of course, don't take it too seriously: I certainly didn't :lol:

If you're curious about the song, I based my cover on this amazing semi-live performance: I remained pretty faithful to it, except for some more heaviness as per my usual. My homage to the guitar player was done by needlessly wearing those sunglasses in the video :mrgreen:

Technically speaking there's nothing new, my workflow hasn't changed, so it's the usual mix of MuseScore for laying down the parts, Ardour 7 as DAW, Yoshimi for all synths, Drumgizmo (Muldjord Kit) for drums, guitarix for crunching my bass, my POD X3 for guitars, and all cooked with some (a lot of) Dragonfly Reverb. The only thing that is actually new is how I did vocals, since I took inspiration from @Tenaba and for the first time used SynthV: instead of using Eleanor Forte, though, I used Yamine Renri as the voice, since I needed a Japanese vocalist. I was surprised by how easy it was working with it: I didn't do anything on articulations, or any attempt to fancy it up, and it still came up much better than I expected it would!

I hope you'll enjoy this, and I'll take advantage of this to wish you all some Happy Holidays!

folderol
Established Member

Re: Koibito Ga Santa Claus (cover)

Post by folderol »

This is simply priceless!!!
Absolutely loved it, and that's some really tasty video work too.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

folderol wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:05 pm

This is simply priceless!!!
Absolutely loved it, and that's some really tasty video work too.

Thanks, glad you liked it! I'm not sure I would have used "tasty" for the video, but I'll take it :lol:

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Tasty? I thought I saw wife/sis with a 'sopapilla' in the video! Anyway, thanks for a great fun creation.
I hope your family appreciates those skills. And some of those abilities are likely gifted 8)
Thanks for sharing the good cheer, and Merry Christmas!
Cheers

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

glowrak guy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:50 pm

Tasty? I thought I saw wife/sis with a 'sopapilla' in the video! Anyway, thanks for a great fun creation.

Sis: I'm hopelessly single :wink:
I don't know what a sopapilla is, though?

glowrak guy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:50 pm

I hope your family appreciates those skills. And some of those abilities are likely gifted 8)
Thanks for sharing the good cheer, and Merry Christmas!
Cheers

They had fun doing it, even my apparently grumpy father, or at least it's what they told me :lol:
Thanks for listening and for the kind words!

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

A great watch! Lots of fun, a welcome distraction from today's headlines.. What a great family to get on board and have fun with you! And even some trademark shreddin' in there, great job on the editing too!

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

GMaq wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:08 pm

A great watch! Lots of fun, a welcome distraction from today's headlines.. What a great family to get on board and have fun with you! And even some trademark shreddin' in there, great job on the editing too!

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! I definitely had fun (ab)using the light blue walls of my studio room as a super-fake green screen, which in fact worked quite poorly but who cares :lol: