Fedora 39, WINE, and yabridge

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

k410
Established Member

Fedora 39, WINE, and yabridge

Post by k410 »

At this stage, is there any reason not to just use WINE from the default Fedora repo and yabridge from the tgz on Github?

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Fedora 39, WINE, and yabridge

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, most distro-provided wine is a little older than what's found on winehq.org.
But if it meets your needs, that's what matters. I have several wine installs of different versions,
and keep the best one without updating the system, just update the web browser, and the distro's own support utilities.
(AVLinux based on debian MX Linux)

If you set up an extra linux on a usb drive or similar, you can test the newer ones that are released for testing,
without risking your working setup. Then decide based on personal experience. In my experience with audio,
there are not many regressions from wineHQ, maybe one in ten releases, but it's easy to roll back to earlier versions.
The yabridge site likely still has a guide for doing that. Fully uninstall a distro wine before installing one from wineHQ.

Cheers

k410
Established Member

Post by k410 »

Thank you, @glowrak guy.

In case anyone else is interested:

It turns out that Fedora 39's default WINE installation (from its wine meta-package) is still based on wine-staging (version 8.19 at time of writing -- which was released Oct 29, 2023, and therefore recent enough for me).

I like that Fedora's wine meta-package installs mono, gecko, fonts, dxvk, etc. -- which would have to be installed separately using winetricks on some other distros.

Yabridge was easy enough to set up manually from the tgz.

Otherwise I kept my audio-setup steps minimal:
add the usual limits to /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf
add self to audio group
add "threadirqs" to kernel parameters

In the BIOS I had already disabled the AMD "Cool'n'Quiet" option (which disables dynamic frequency scaling), so I don't have to bother with setting the CPU governor to performance mode.

[On a side note, I'm aware of PatrickL's COPRs, but wanted to see how well I could do with more of a plain-vanilla Fedora first.]

k410
Established Member

Post by k410 »

Just an update to say that because I had trouble with the GUI for Tone2's Electra3 (the GUI was blank, both standalone and as a plugin through yabridge, and in both Wayland and X11 KDE Plasma sessions), I decided to give PatrickL's set of COPRs a try, because it seemed some of those packages address video stuff.

He provides very clear instructions and installation was easier and quicker than I thought it would be at first glance.
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs ... /wine-tkg/

Afterwards, Electra3 immediately worked well, without my having to fiddle with dll overrides.

Thank you, PatrickL!

Last edited by k410 on Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Thanks for mentioning this! I'll be working Santa's coal chute this Christmas, but good to know about
any particular Tone2 synth details, for a time when the taxes are in the rear-view mirror.
Cheers