Error Logs for Reaper?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

G M Slater
Established Member

Error Logs for Reaper?

Post by G M Slater »

Does anyone know if the Linux version of Reaper keeps any error logs? If so, where do they get saved? The native Linux versions of my plugins from https://www.audiothing.net/ cause it to crash as soon as they are selected, and I am trying to figure out why.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Re: Error Logs for Reaper?

Post by Audiojunkie »

Start reaper from the terminal to see errors as they happen.

My guess is that you may need to increase the memory available to your program. Consider increasing your memlock to unlimited in your limits.conf.

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

Audiojunkie wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:13 am

Start reaper from the terminal to see errors as they happen.

My guess is that you may need to increase the memory available to your program. Consider increasing your memlock to unlimited in your limits.conf.

If it's specific plugins consistently crashing, I don't think that sounds like a memory issue? I dunno, that stuff's a black art to me...

Any error messages should also go into system wide logs (like /var/log/syslog). But those are a pain to parse 'cause there's so much stuff in them. I also recommend running from terminal and looking at the output. I don't think REAPER itself keeps its own logs, that I'm aware of...

Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Do you have the latest versions of the AudioThing Plugins? If you Login to your AudioThing account you may want to check the version numbers and I know they are always adding and improving the Linux versions. I'm using the Linux 'Things' collection on Ardour and they work well, for example the new 'Voice' Plugin is pretty magic on Vocals!

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

For what it's worth, I don't have any of them installed currently, but I've tried demos of a couple of them in REAPER a while back and didn't encounter issues. Obviously this isn't really helpful information for debugging your issue...

Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
G M Slater
Established Member

Post by G M Slater »

Additional information:

• The memlock setting is unlimited.

• The computer has 16GB RAM, and a swap partition set up.

• Running Reaper from the terminal only shows "killed" as soon as one of the plugins in question are selected (and the program immediately shuts down).

• The Audio Things plugins are all the latest versions, and I have licenses for each.

• The plugins in question all worked in earlier versions of Reaper (I only noticed this behavior after the release of version 7).

• If I bridge the Windows versions of the plugins using yabridge, they load but the GUIs won't allow me to click on anything. The license windows pop up, but I can't select to add my licenses.

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

Have you tried the different plugin formats? Tried rescanning plugins?

I guess it could conceivably be some dependency issue, conflict with some library version or something. Has your system had significant updates before the issue started?

These things can be really tricky to diagnose, I'm afraid...

G M Slater
Established Member

Post by G M Slater »

elcalen wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:49 pm

Have you tried the different plugin formats? Tried rescanning plugins?

I guess it could conceivably be some dependency issue, conflict with some library version or something. Has your system had significant updates before the issue started?

These things can be really tricky to diagnose, I'm afraid...

I have tried the VST, VST3, and CLAP formats, but all crash Reaper. There haven't been any big changes to the computer, except for installing the occasional updates. I think the next step is to revert Reaper back to version 6 and see if that has any effect.

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

I very briefly tried one of the demo versions (I picked Valves at semi-random). It seemed to load without issues on my system (REAPER 7.07, Kubuntu 23.10).

Though I guess there could theoretically be some issue with authenticating the registered version that wouldn't come up in my test, since I don't own any of the plugins...

I guess one thing you could try is fully reinstalling the plugins, deleting their settings, in case something's somehow gotten corrupted...

EDIT: you could also try locating one of the binaries (.so files) and running the ldd command on it (in a terminal) to check it's dependencies, just in case. If there's any red flags in the output, a library listed as missing rather than providing a version number, that could be an issue. (Although if a dependency was straight up missing, the plugin might not even successfully scan in REAPER...)