any idea how to get LinuxSampler working in OS10.5?

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

777funk
Established Member

any idea how to get LinuxSampler working in OS10.5?

Post by 777funk »

Trying to get this working without much success. Reaper cannot find the VST and Fantasia says no backend. Any tips on where to start?

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Re: any idea how to get LinuxSampler working in OS10.5?

Post by Audiojunkie »

777funk wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:38 pm

Trying to get this working without much success. Reaper cannot find the VST and Fantasia says no backend. Any tips on where to start?

1. What linux distro are you using? This really matters.

2. Forget about the Fantasia front end. That has been largely abandoned. Use QSampler instead, which is regularly kept up to date.

3. Understand that Linux Sampler has a decoupled GUI, and you need to install the actual Linux Sampler program (as well as the GUI Front End). When loading Linux Sampler into your DAW, you load the Linux Sampler (program) into the DAW, and then start the separate GUI and make sure your GUI is pointing to the correct Ports/Channels. Also, make sure you are pointing to the correct sound engine for which sample format you are using.

4. If you run into problems for any of the above, understand that Linux Sampler has been abandoned and that its license was very questionable to begin with, and that most of us now use Sfizz as the better, true successor. :wink:

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

The version "OS10.5" seems to suggest MacOS.

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Audiojunkie wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:48 pm

2. Forget about the Fantasia front end. That has been largely abandoned. Use QSampler instead, which is regularly kept up to date.

3. Understand that Linux Sampler has a decoupled GUI, and you need to install the actual Linux Sampler program (as well as the GUI Front End). When loading Linux Sampler into your DAW, you load the Linux Sampler (program) into the DAW, and then start the separate GUI and make sure your GUI is pointing to the correct Ports/Channels. Also, make sure you are pointing to the correct sound engine for which sample format you are using.

4. If you run into problems for any of the above, understand that Linux Sampler has been abandoned and that its license was very questionable to begin with, and that most of us now use Sfizz as the better, true successor. :wink:

Abandoned? I don't think so. Things might be quiet from time to time, but Fantasia received an update not so long ago, and there have been minor fixes for the other components. Qsampler continues to be updated by Rui, and that wouldn't happen if LS was......abandoned.

Linuxsampler is more or less mature, so it's not going to get a frenetic stream of updates. It, and its associated apps, build fine, and the rules file for Debian is kept up to date.

You forgot to mention Sfizz, which is a fine app in its own right, doesn't play gig files, a format that although discontinued by Tascam, is still in use today, by those who still have sample libs in that format (And there are plenty of us). The samples haven't aged, or passed some sort of use by date.

LS continues to work here without problems, and I update it regularly from the SVN repos.

777funk
Established Member

Post by 777funk »

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say OSX 10.5.x (Mac). I use L.S. on Ubuntu 22.04 regularly (with QSampler as a frontend) and have grown to love the Yamaha .gig piano. I was hoping to put it on the Mac also. So far I can't get Reaper to even pickup that there's a LinuxSampler VST. I do have Synth1 working well but it doesn't find L.S.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

alex stone wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:35 pm

Abandoned? I don't think so. Things might be quiet from time to time, but Fantasia received an update not so long ago, and there have been minor fixes for the other components. Qsampler continues to be updated by Rui, and that wouldn't happen if LS was......abandoned.

Linuxsampler is more or less mature, so it's not going to get a frenetic stream of updates. It, and its associated apps, build fine, and the rules file for Debian is kept up to date.

You forgot to mention Sfizz, which is a fine app in its own right, doesn't play gig files, a format that although discontinued by Tascam, is still in use today, by those who still have sample libs in that format (And there are plenty of us). The samples haven't aged, or passed some sort of use by date.

LS continues to work here without problems, and I update it regularly from the SVN repos.

"Quiet from time to time"?!? How about for a year? The whole place is like a morgue. I'm not counting 3rd party front ends, even if you think that counts. And it's fine if you want to count gig files as viable, but I don't. Where can one buy some quality gig files, aside from a rummage sale? Ad as for "more or less mature", I disagree with that too. Have you looked at the sub-screens of their own LS Developrs Roadmap? There is A LOT that is still on the road map.

Have you looked at the mailing list? How about the official forum? Lots of activity there as well.....

I noticed that you were completely quiet about my comments on Linux Sampler's license.....

OK. You argue that Linux Sampler isn't abandoned..... maybe so.... But it would be really hard to argue that the project isn't on life support.

I still say that Sfizz is superior, and that's a hill that I'm willing to die on.

777funk
Established Member

Post by 777funk »

Audiojunkie wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:05 am
alex stone wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:35 pm

"Quiet from time to time"?!? How about for a year? The whole place is like a morgue. I'm not counting 3rd party front ends, even if you think that counts. And it's fine if you want to count gig files as viable, but I don't. Where can one buy some quality gig files, aside from a rummage sale? Ad as for "more or less mature", I disagree with that too. Have you looked at the sub-screens of their own LS Developrs Roadmap? There is A LOT that is still on the road map.

Have you looked at the mailing list? How about the official forum? Lots of activity there as well.....

I noticed that you were completely quiet about my comments on Linux Sampler's license.....

OK. You argue that Linux Sampler isn't abandoned..... maybe so.... But it would be really hard to argue that the project isn't on life support.

I still say that Sfizz is superior, and that's a hill that I'm willing to die on.

I can't speak for every scenario and system, but in my case, Linux Sampler was the only sampler that has run pretty close to rock solid. Once setup properly it never crashes. Sfizz, and Decent Sampler, and maybe one other sampler have been super buggy and completely crashing the DAW (Reaper) every other time (maybe more than that) a project containing it is loaded. I like the flexibility of Decent Sampler (PianoBook Libraries are excellent as are DecentSampler's own sounds), but the stability is not quite there yet in my few Ubuntu 22.04 installs.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

I owe you an apology. I still feel that Linux Sampler is on life support, but I was already in a bad mood before I had even read your post. I poured my frustrations into my response to you, and that was wrong. It is perfectly fine for you to like and have confidence in Linux Sampler. It is a good program. I just wish it was better supported.

777funk
Established Member

Post by 777funk »

Audiojunkie wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:45 am

I owe you an apology. I still feel that Linux Sampler is on life support, but I was already in a bad mood before I had even read your post. I poured my frustrations into my response to you, and that was wrong. It is perfectly fine for you to like and have confidence in Linux Sampler. It is a good program. I just wish it was better supported.

QJackCtl is another one of those software pieces. Very useful for what it does but not the most supported. Regardless, it's great that some developers took the time to make it available.

Linux Sampler may not be for everyone but it is a good tool and can produce some good sounds for pianos and similar.

No apology needed, it was another person who you were going back and forth with. The way I see it, much of Open Source has come and gone but is still available in some form (without support). It's still better than Mac or Microsoft where the machine is useless past some set expiration date.

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

777funk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:12 am

QJackCtl is another one of those software pieces. Very useful for what it does but not the most supported. Regardless, it's great that some developers took the time to make it available.

Not the most supported? Are you kidding? :lol:

https://github.com/rncbc/qjackctl/commits/master/

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

LAM wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:32 am

You are pointing to a third-party gui front end and trying to count it as actual Linuxsampler development? :shock: :?

777funk
Established Member

Post by 777funk »

Ok! Sorry! I hadn't seen that. Maybe I was thinking of FFADO. I use both pieces to run my Firewire interfaces. I have a 2008 M-Audio Profire 610 with which I have a 12ax7 tube in the signal path, so I'm probably NEVER going to retire from firewire. Works well, sounds great small and portable with a lot of I/O for its size.

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Audiojunkie wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:40 pm

You are pointing to a third-party gui front end and trying to count it as actual Linuxsampler development? :shock: :?

Do you need a pair of glasses? :lol: I was answering to the @777funk claim about Qjackctl not being "supported".

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

LAM wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:30 pm

Do you need a pair of glasses? :lol: I was answering to the @777funk claim about Qjackctl not being "supported".

I definitely need new glasses! :D. I think I also need a self imposed break from the internet—I’m lashing out at people these days, and regretting it later after calming down. :(

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Audiojunkie wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:28 am
LAM wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:30 pm

I definitely need new glasses! :D. I think I also need a self imposed break from the internet—I’m lashing out at people these days, and regretting it later after calming down. :(

You have to work on yourself: You mustn't calm down, then you won't have any regrets.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/