PipeWire and a2jmidid?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

PipeWire and a2jmidid?

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Being pretty new to PipeWire and not a big user of JACK MIDI I'd like to know on a system geared to monolthic DAW's (ie Ardour, Reaper) is a2jmidid necessary any longer or does it work with 'pipewire-jack' like it always did with 'JACK Classic'?

Largos
Established Member

Re: PipeWire and a2jmidid?

Post by Largos »

It's not needed. If you open qpwgraph, you should see sections called Midi-Bridge with all the Jack midi ports

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Largos wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:22 pm

It's not needed. If you open qpwgraph, you should see sections called Midi-Bridge with all the Jack midi ports

OK, great to know, thanks!

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

My inner curmudgeon sees an octopusic spaghetti storm. I've heard nothing from Rui about implementing
the straight-line symmetrical connections as available in qjackctl. I never use it's graph-bezier options.
I don't have the time or will to jocky around whatever labels get added to a session.
I can barely manage up down left right as it is :roll: To be fair, I've not investigated using the many
linux patch-bay and session manager tools, as basic use of qjackctl and reaper already exceed my capabilities.
But the future is out there, and I've heard it could go on for years 8)
Cheers

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

glowrak guy wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:01 am

My inner curmudgeon sees an octopusic spaghetti storm. I've heard nothing from Rui about implementing
the straight-line symmetrical connections as available in qjackctl. I never use it's graph-bezier options.
I don't have the time or will to jocky around whatever labels get added to a session.
I can barely manage up down left right as it is :roll: To be fair, I've not investigated using the many
linux patch-bay and session manager tools, as basic use of qjackctl and reaper already exceed my capabilities.
Cheers

Same here. I've heard that the PipeWire graph application cannot be simplified like good 'ol qjackctl (read: straight-line symmetrical connections in a table) because PW is like PulseAudio, Alsa and Jack all rolled into one. Reason for me to stick to Jack if I ever have to upgrade my distro. Gonna have to read a tutorial on how to stop or get rid of PW.

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

glowrak guy wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:01 am

Cheers

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:10 am

Same here. I've heard that the PipeWire graph application cannot be simplified like good 'ol qjackctl (read: straight-line symmetrical connections in a table) because PW is like PulseAudio, Alsa and Jack all rolled into one. Reason for me to stick to Jack if I ever have to upgrade my distro. Gonna have to read a tutorial on how to stop or get rid of PW.

What a2jmidid or the PW equivalent native implementation (the topic of this thread) have anything to do with the Qjackctl's connections (list) view is beyond my comprehension.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

LAM wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:58 am

What a2jmidid or the PW equivalent native implementation (the topic of this thread) have anything to do with the Qjackctl's connections (list) view is beyond my comprehension.

Didn't you know? We have to spam about how much we hate pipewire because of confused reasons every time it is mentioned!

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

LAM wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:58 am

Doesn't one use qjackctl to connect Midi together? Especially if Alsa Midi has been bridged to Jack Midi via a2jmidid? I agree it might a tiny little bit off topic, but not that much... I've seen worse in these forums. Bye. ;)

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

It has nothing to do with what Pipewire does or does not do. It's about how rncbc chooses to make his applications.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Largos wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:07 pm

It has nothing to do with what Pipewire does or does not do. It's about how rncbc chooses to make his applications.

Yes it does because PW is like PulseAudio, Alsa and Jack all rolled into one. That's why PW utilities must be different from Jack utils. Not that using Alsa + PA + Jack is better than using PW. Just different. Bye, bye y'all. :wink:

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:24 pm
Largos wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:07 pm

Yes it does because PW is like PulseAudio, Alsa and Jack all rolled into one. That's why PW utilities must be different from Jack utils. Not that using Alsa + PA + Jack is better than using PW. Just different. Bye, bye y'all. :wink:

I think you're confusing the subject with what you were told about why qjacktcl would not see all the connections in pipewire. That has nothing to do with whether a program can be made with all the connections listed in a straight line. Bye Bye :roll:

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

GMaq wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:25 pm

Hi,

Being pretty new to PipeWire and not a big user of JACK MIDI I'd like to know on a system geared to monolthic DAW's (ie Ardour, Reaper) is a2jmidid necessary any longer or does it work with 'pipewire-jack' like it always did with 'JACK Classic'?

As mentioned above, it is not used. Most software these days has been coming in the form of plug-ins. I have seen little development outside of the DAW-host Plugin-client development front. The routing is useful to have, but I see NSM-connectivity taking less of a role in music production in the future. Pipewire should be largely self-contained for everything now. :)

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

As a recent convert and somebody who was very cautious about implementing PipeWire and also someone who was fairly annoyed and vocal about having to adopt something 'new' over something that was in my experience fully useful and functional I'm hoping I can clear the air a bit..

IF you embrace PipeWire's milestone 1.0.0 release in it's fullness which encompasses ALSA, JACK and PulseAudio functions and IF you have it set up properly which will include creating system links so JACK applications silently connect to pipewire-jack as well as using one of the many new 'pipewire-metadata' UI's and lastly installing qpwgraph then you will have all the functionality of a traditional qjackctl/JACK system and then some.. Keeping or continuing to use qjackctl and JACK will create more confusion and indeed create a virtual and visual spaghetti mess..

The metadata UI you choose (upcoming AV Linux will have it's own) is how you set the quantum (buffers) and sample rate and qpwgraph is how you make and see the connections. There is no need for qjackctl or JACK itself in this scenario... And things will be actually be EASIER..

When properly set up, pipewire-jack is running at boot, if you fire up Reaper, Ardour, Qtractor etc. and select your JACK backends then presto all is running instantly.. No opening qjackctl and THEN selecting the explicit device and settings THEN starting JACK.. With PipeWire it's already there waiting for you to present a set of pins to connect it to... If you know ahead of time that you require a different buffer size or sample rate then simply set that before you start Reaper or Ardour etc...

If you accept this is a new way with new methods and commit to understanding it you will find it's actually simpler and NOW has equivalent latency performance potential. If you cling desperately to half of the old system and don't set PipeWire up optimally then you will have an unsatisfactory half-baked mess.. I'm old and pragmatic and if I could do it anyone can do it! :D

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

GMaq wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:36 pm

Hi,

As a recent convert and somebody who was very cautious about implementing PipeWire and also someone who was fairly annoyed and vocal about having to adopt something 'new' over something that was in my experience fully useful and functional I'm hoping I can clear the air a bit..

IF you embrace PipeWire's milestone 1.0.0 release in it's fullness which encompasses ALSA, JACK and PulseAudio functions and IF you have it set up properly which will include creating system links so JACK applications silently connect to pipewire-jack as well as using one of the many new 'pipewire-metadata' UI's and lastly installing qpwgraph then you will have all the functionality of a traditional qjackctl/JACK system and then some.. Keeping or continuing to use qjackctl and JACK will create more confusion and indeed create a virtual and visual spaghetti mess..

The metadata UI you choose (upcoming AV Linux will have it's own) is how you set the quantum (buffers) and sample rate and qpwgraph is how you make and see the connections. There is no need for qjackctl or JACK itself in this scenario... And things will be actually be EASIER..

When properly set up, pipewire-jack is running at boot, if you fire up Reaper, Ardour, Qtractor etc. and select your JACK backends then presto all is running instantly.. No opening qjackctl and THEN selecting the explicit device and settings THEN starting JACK.. With PipeWire it's already there waiting for you to present a set of pins to connect it to... If you know ahead of time that you require a different buffer size or sample rate then simply set that before you start Reaper or Ardour etc...

If you accept this is a new way with new methods and commit to understanding it you will find it's actually simpler and NOW has equivalent latency performance potential. If you cling desperately to half of the old system and don't set PipeWire up optimally then you will have an unsatisfactory half-baked mess.. I'm old and pragmatic and if I could do it anyone can do it! :D

Very well said! I agree!!! :) Best wishes!! :)

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

GMaq wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:36 pm

No opening qjackctl and THEN selecting the explicit device and settings THEN starting JACK..

I knew this was going to end in the usual JACK vs PW debate.

Honestly, you are making it look more difficult than it really is. I don't know what happens to people when they switch to PW, it's like they remember they had to go trough many steps I don't have to go through with JACK. :lol: Do you switch soundcard that often?

My default workflow is launching (one click or through dmenu or a keybind) Qjackctl, that starts RaySession, that starts the DAW, JACK App or plugins I need, connecting everything, all automatically. If I quit Qjackctl, it will send a RaySession session close, that will take care of quitting all the audio stuff running.

So the big difference here is not about using JACK or PW, it's the session manager, that can be used for both.

If you are going to argue that you are using just a DAW anything more than ALSA could be seen as superfluous.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen