PipeWire and a2jmidid?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: PipeWire and a2jmidid?

Post by GMaq »

@LAM

Who am I debating with? Not Happy JACK Users (pardon The Who pun)... They're well set up... I'm talking to people who seem to want to mix both or think it can only work with retaining Qjackctl..

I personally exclusively use ALSA-only in my Studio but I have to understand and prepare a system for other workflows. None of what I said is directed at power users (like you) who are able to install and configure pretty much anything they want and script in whatever is missing. Nor have I forgotten any of the efficacy of a JACK-based system.. As per my opening post I'm also talking about those working directly with monolithic DAWs without session managers..

When I did use JACK in the past I had multiple interfaces used with a laptop so yes I often had to save profiles or change the Qjackctl settings

People who aren't as experienced or haven't completed all the steps to setting up PipeWire optimally or have one foot in both worlds are going to find it needlessly perplexing and it's probably better to get with PipeWire first at this point in time and THEN add JACK etc.. back in if you require it (which will be a very small number of people)or have gained the expertise to know what is doing what and how to make it all work together..

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

GMaq wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:52 pm

None of what I said is directed at power users (like you) who are able to install and configure pretty much anything they want and script in whatever is missing.

The funny thing is that using Qjackctl and Raysession I got rid of almost all the scripting bits, all can be managed graphically. The only thing I have is the "on startup" and "on close" commands in Qjackctl. :lol:

Just to go back a bit on the topic, when using JACK seq MIDI driver I don't need to use a2jmidid at all, all the hardware MIDI ports are exported, just like PW. 8)

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

GMaq wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:36 pm

Hi,

As a recent convert and somebody who was very cautious about implementing PipeWire and also someone who was fairly annoyed and vocal about having to adopt something 'new' over something that was in my experience fully useful and functional I'm hoping I can clear the air a bit..

IF you embrace PipeWire's milestone 1.0.0 release in it's fullness which encompasses ALSA, JACK and PulseAudio functions and IF you have it set up properly which will include creating system links so JACK applications silently connect to pipewire-jack as well as using one of the many new 'pipewire-metadata' UI's and lastly installing qpwgraph then you will have all the functionality of a traditional qjackctl/JACK system and then some.. Keeping or continuing to use qjackctl and JACK will create more confusion and indeed create a virtual and visual spaghetti mess..

The metadata UI you choose (upcoming AV Linux will have it's own) is how you set the quantum (buffers) and sample rate and qpwgraph is how you make and see the connections. There is no need for qjackctl or JACK itself in this scenario... And things will be actually be EASIER..

When properly set up, pipewire-jack is running at boot, if you fire up Reaper, Ardour, Qtractor etc. and select your JACK backends then presto all is running instantly.. No opening qjackctl and THEN selecting the explicit device and settings THEN starting JACK.. With PipeWire it's already there waiting for you to present a set of pins to connect it to... If you know ahead of time that you require a different buffer size or sample rate then simply set that before you start Reaper or Ardour etc...

If you accept this is a new way with new methods and commit to understanding it you will find it's actually simpler and NOW has equivalent latency performance potential. If you cling desperately to half of the old system and don't set PipeWire up optimally then you will have an unsatisfactory half-baked mess.. I'm old and pragmatic and if I could do it anyone can do it! :D

Well-said and, although I'm very change-averse, I begrudgingly admit what you say is very true... but I'm fully with Glowrak Guy when it comes to the spaghetti.