AV Linux MX Edition 23.1 progress

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Rodney
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition 23.1 progress

Post by Rodney »

Dear Glenn,

Code: Select all

You are my personal Santa Claus! Damn, every time you release a New AvLinux I feel like I am getting the best Christmas gift ever! Thank you Very much as always for your work, it's absolutely stunning! I got a New notebook, I am definitely going to to use It for AvLinux 😊🤟. 

Ps: Can't wait to try CHOWanalogDSP, never could get It to work properly.
Ps2: If it's not asking much, could you please also add Shiro plugins? Specially ShiroVerb? 😛, they are great!

Merry Christmas and happy holidays

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Thanks Rodney,

I'm pretty careful about outside Repos and I know a lot of people add the KXStudio Repos without major problems but there is potential for issues and conflicts with outdated unmaintained stuff with the MX build system I use so if you want individual stuff like Shiro there is a great page where you can cherry pick the KX Apps and Plugins and download/install from there:

https://kx.studio/Repositories:Plugins

https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian/ ... _amd64.deb

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Congratulations on the progress! The screenshots look sharp.

I'm curious: I think you mentioned quite a while ago in another thread that you were considering a future iteration that had no trash bin. Did you keep the bin for 23.1 or trash it? I'm asking for a friend who very frequently finds himself fishing important files out of the garbage. :wink:

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

RyanH wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:57 am

Congratulations on the progress! The screenshots look sharp.

I'm curious: I think you mentioned quite a while ago in another thread that you were considering a future iteration that had no trash bin. Did you keep the bin for 23.1 or trash it? I'm asking for a friend who very frequently finds himself fishing important files out of the garbage. :wink:

Hi there!

In short yes there is Trash support when the provided Thunar File Manager is used.. :D

The longer answer is.. Enlightenment has it's own File Manager but it is limited (no networking support, no Trash, not direct mounting of mobile devices) However what it does excel at is Media browsing... Play Audio samples or Video files with mouseover, see the contents of a text file or image file with mouseover...

In my long testing period of Enlightenment I've evolved into doing File Browsing with EFM and File 'Managing' with Thunar which seems to focus on the strengths of both... If you pick one or the other to use all the time I'd suggest Thunar..

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

GMaq wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:47 pm

Hi there!

In short yes there is Trash support when the provided Thunar File Manager is used.. :D

The longer answer is.. Enlightenment has it's own File Manager but it is limited (no networking support, no Trash, not direct mounting of mobile devices) However what it does excel at is Media browsing... Play Audio samples or Video files with mouseover, see the contents of a text file or image file with mouseover...

In my long testing period of Enlightenment I've evolved into doing File Browsing with EFM and File 'Managing' with Thunar which seems to focus on the strengths of both... If you pick one or the other to use all the time I'd suggest Thunar..

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll let my "friend" know. :lol:

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Still working away here...

I painted myself in a corner and had to do a big rethink about Icons... I had put many hours into adding and customizing the 'Evolvere' default Icon theme so everything would match without really considering how ugly things could get if the Icon theme was switched and all my custom stuff was filled in with uggo default Adwaita Icons or worse no Icon at all. I ended up having to create dozens and dozens of Icons (my subscription to nounproject.com really paid off!) and I realized how deathly sick I am of flat Icons so I did my own thing to coordinate with my custom Enlightenment theming... So no, now everything doesn't perfectly match but now the AVL custom stuff is clearly identifiable and all of it installs with self-supporting Icons so no more reliance on outside Icon themes..

shot-2024-01-04_14-02-02.resized.jpg
shot-2024-01-04_14-02-02.resized.jpg (200.98 KiB) Viewed 128647 times

Yadbridge as an example;

shot-2024-01-04_14-07-32.jpg
shot-2024-01-04_14-07-32.jpg (169.35 KiB) Viewed 128647 times

Anyway, I'm not sleeping on the job, it's the final 2% that kills ya!

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

GMaq wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:07 pm

Thanks Rodney,

I'm pretty careful about outside Repos and I know a lot of people add the KXStudio Repos without major problems but there is potential for issues and conflicts with outdated unmaintained stuff with the MX build system I use so if you want individual stuff like Shiro there is a great page where you can cherry pick the KX Apps and Plugins and download/install from there:

https://kx.studio/Repositories:Plugins

https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian/ ... _amd64.deb

The apps in kxstudio are aging as well.

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

GMaq wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:09 pm

Still working away here...

I painted myself in a corner and had to do a big rethink about Icons... I had put many hours into adding and customizing the 'Evolvere' default Icon theme so everything would match without really considering how ugly things could get if the Icon theme was switched and all my custom stuff was filled in with uggo default Adwaita Icons or worse no Icon at all. I ended up having to create dozens and dozens of Icons (my subscription to nounproject.com really paid off!) and I realized how deathly sick I am of flat Icons so I did my own thing to coordinate with my custom Enlightenment theming... So no, now everything doesn't perfectly match but now the AVL custom stuff is clearly identifiable and all of it installs with self-supporting Icons so no more reliance on outside Icon themes..

shot-2024-01-04_14-02-02.resized.jpg

Yadbridge as an example;

shot-2024-01-04_14-07-32.jpg

Anyway, I'm not sleeping on the job, it's the final 2% that kills ya!

This is impressive.

Boone777
Established Member

Post by Boone777 »

Nice work ! :) 8)

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I'm Looking forward to the new version. I did a new install this week of an EFL from I think around Feb 2023, which was pretty easy, as usual.
The hardest part being the time to copy over a wine folder.

The biggest issue I have with linux distros in general, is with lack of contrast between text and their backgrounds. This also happens in commercial products, for no good reason I can imagine. I try to keep monitor brightness low, to save on the eyes, making contrast pretty important.

A second text issue is size. One of my most often used tools lets you resize the gui, but I really want to be able
to, for example, open a plugin browser panel with text at 100% size, while the large main gui is at 70% to fit the screen.

And similar issues sometimes occur with border lines inside a gui being hard to see because someone thinks 1 pixel lines
in pale colors are trendy. I often use K3b, and it has one part I use a lot that is nearly untreadable, so I have to highlight all the text
to make sure I've got the right things listed. (first-world-problems :wink: )

Going to the search engines to find various graphic library themes with more optimal settings isn't much fun.
Nor is editing their config settings, if they can be located.

Thanks for sharing the results of your long hours of R&D! Looks like Another year without mac and win 8)

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Yessir, theming, colors, fonts are all subjective and there is no way I could ever please everyone.. "I hate dark themes they hurt my eyes" "I hate light themes they hurt my eyes"... :oops:

All I try to do is try making something that I find unique and pleasant to look at and work with (for me) while I'm getting it together, after that I include some variations of light and dark themes and hundreds of fonts and leave it to the User. Admittedly Enlightenment is more limited because it requires it's own themes and there are not many good ones and then making the GTK, QT match accordingly is more challenging but at the end of they day if you're more concerned with that stuff than making Music or Video then you probably should be using something else anyway..

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Two themes of many from gnome-look.org that I've used in pclinuxos and bodhi linux distros using the E and Moksha
desktop gui's:

Blue Paradise.jpg
Blue Paradise.jpg (60 KiB) Viewed 128335 times
La Noche.jpg
La Noche.jpg (53.04 KiB) Viewed 128335 times
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Haha, those are retro!

Once you've installed AVL the world is your oyster, One of the issues with Enlightenment is people see those types of glossy and highly skeumorphic themes and think that's what Enlightenment looks like... a look stuck in 2010! (Which is ALL good if that's your preference)

I'm apolitical in the flat vs. glossy wars, I personally like some depth, detail and shadows but it's a flat flat flat world out there right now and even though I am shipping the old and iconic Enlightenment 'Dark' theme as an option I want to demonstrate the Enlightenment is capable of modernity like it's contemporaries and it can look both unique and as current as today's headlines..

The 4 included looks in AVL-MXe 23:

Default: "MXDE Skeuos Light" with Evolvere Icons

The former AV Linux "Diehard" theme with Obsidian Amber Icons:

The default Enlightenment "Flat Theme" with Obsidian Sand Icons:

The Classic Enlightenment "Dark" Theme with Obsidian Sand Icons:

If they don't cut it then it's your ball.. :wink:

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Those are all very nice! I think I'll go with #4. I just installed the 2022 AVL 'AHS Consciousness' to a 64 gig usbstick, it's a cheap slow stick, but while installing, I did a refresher of my old Alesis QS8's piano and E-piano sounds, very nice variety and mod-wheel assignments. And a solid full size/strength keybed to beef up the player for wimpy synth-keyboards on jam-nights :wink: Folks might find one at a good price, has many hundreds of nineties sounds with simple rows of buttons to switch banks, categories, and presets. etc

I make good use of Thunar extras in AVL, for archiving and bulk renaming. I also use pcmanfm, because it has an oft used 'copy path' option,
without dragging along bits of text that need backspacing before a paste operation. Great for dealing with long paths and commands between various destinations.

Hope you make time for a gig or three in January!
Cheers

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Not wishing to jump on anyone's bandwagon, but current versions of Yoshimi have several dark theme examples that might fit with this.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}