Grouping sets of piano roll editors, or, add a track list

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

alex stone
Established Member

Grouping sets of piano roll editors, or, add a track list

Post by alex stone »

I've been doing some orchestral testing in Muse 4.2.1.

1) I run all my orchestral sample sets outside of Muse, in a standalone instance of Linuxsampler. I route midi out from Muse to LS, and i'm currently using about 132 midi tracks (1 articulation per track. It's a small template.) I then route audio from LS back into Muse. (Just a single stereo track for monitoring at this stage, with a little verb for flavour)

Good news is, it's a solid as a rock so far. A far cry from past efforts when anything over 80 tracks would put both Muse and I into unknown territory. Respect to all involved for this release, it seems a significant step forward, at least for my particular workflow.

2) Out of this experience has sprung a question/idea. (I know, I know, hear me out.)

I'm inputting manually into midi editor instances, and they're neatly docked one after the other. As I work on a section of music, I might have between 8 and 14 or 15 editors open at one time, doubling instruments, adding harmonies, etc. I then close these as I move on to the next section, and open a new batch of midi editor instances for a section, and so on.
And those "sets" of editors often come up again, later on with the same instances repeating a melodic counter melody, or harmonies, you get the picture. Clarinets with Violas, Horns and Bassoons....

Here's the question/idea.
Is there already a function within Muse that allows the user to save these sets of editor instances as a scene/preset, to be opened and closed when selected/deselected? So I close the first scene/preset, and open the second scene/preset, moving from one set of midi editor instances to another?

That's the question. If this function isn't there, can i ask the devs/users to consider this idea, and would it be useful to others? We don't have one global midi editor that opens and allows users to switch between several tracks/items (the best workflow solution of all, imho), so why not the option of multiple midi editor instances in user defined scenes/presets?

Thoughts are welcome. I ask this as a potential boost to better workflow.

3) For those that know, the user can highlight multiple items in the arranger window, and open a single midi editor instance. One instrument will be active while the others are grayed. The problem is, unless there's notes already present, there's no way to stay in the editor and switch between instruments.
You can only do this by selecting a grayed note, which then becomes the active note/item.

It would be an even better idea than the one i've written above, if this multiple item editor had a track list (down the right hand side?) showing item/tracks currently selected. Then the user could stay in the midi editor all the time, if he or she is writing entirely in midi, and forgo the relentless dance back and forth between the arranger, and the editor, by simply selecting the required instrument in the track list.

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: Grouping sets of piano roll editors, or, add a track list

Post by Tim E. Real »

Quick answer to 3, not sure if you saw this:

In the menu there is 'Next part' and 'Previous part', with hotkeys Alt+left and Alt+right.
Use them to select which part is current among multiple opened parts in one editor.
The title bar will change to show which part is current.

Yes it could use some work I suppose.
I have long wanted to add a couple of quick buttons on the toolbar in addition to the menu items.
It's not clear at first how to switch among the parts.

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Number 1 + 2:
That's good to hear.
@alex stone is a tough customer :wink:
He does a lot of orchestral work.
Something that is maybe a bit out of the scope of current MusE, something that the old OOM was striving for if I recall.
But it could be revisited here...

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Tim E. Real wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:51 pm

Quick answer to 3, not sure if you saw this:

In the menu there is 'Next part' and 'Previous part', with hotkeys Alt+left and Alt+right.
Use them to select which part is current among multiple opened parts in one editor.
The title bar will change to show which part is current.

Yes it could use some work I suppose.
I have long wanted to add a couple of quick buttons on the toolbar in addition to the menu items.
It's not clear at first how to switch among the parts.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try that.