Absent friends....?

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Absent friends....?

Post by Impostor »

Largos wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:43 pm

People who are willing to develop things as complex as ALSA, JACK and Pipewire are not exactly plentiful. They don't deserve to have their time wasted dealing with a disrespectful layman's opinion of how things should be.

And they have the choice simply not to engage if they feel their time would be wasted otherwise. Anyway, like Merlyn, I'd like to leave it now lest this thread evolves into another bickering war ;)

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Jeffg dissed my nationality, but I didn't care. This is a pretty international forum, so I didn't exactly feel singled out. He definitely had some informative content and, although I hadn't gotten around to using any of his creations, I appreciate the time he spent giving to our community.

I'll raise a glass to his Canadian-mocking self, as well as to Artixlinux user. Cheers!

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

RyanH wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:50 am

Jeffg dissed my nationality, but I didn't care. This is a pretty international forum, so I didn't exactly feel singled out. He definitely had some informative content and, although I hadn't gotten around to using any of his creations, I appreciate the time he spent giving to our community.

I'll raise a glass to his Canadian-mocking self, as well as to Artixlinux user. Cheers!

He loved mocking Canadians (I'm also one). I could fill a forum section with his jabs over the years which also didn't bother me in the least because if you read his politically leaning posts he was no American nationalist either.. The answer to the 'JeffG' types of the world is not to say... "Hey that's not nice, you're not following the rules!" If they talk facts respond with facts that clearly disprove their position and if they jab at your nationality show them you can take a laugh at yourself and after that respond in kind. To be clear basic playground out and out name calling is a bit different situation and that seemed to be the biggest area where things got out of hand quite regularly.

It is a weirdly counterintuitive thing but I always felt if you allowed Jeff's joke to land and get the laugh and either didn't respond negatively or doubled down on it showing you had a sense of humor about yourself you were good to go. Jeff threw a lot of jabs my way and I never felt they were mean spirited and therefore I could agree to disagree with him quite easily, it actually gave me a lot of valuable insight about discourse.. That's of course my own opinion about it.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I'd like to trade the three west coast state governors straight up for Justin Troudeau and an electric golf cart,
'cause the Saturday Night Live folks need new material, but won't stoop to mocking mere Governors...and I need
a cheap way to get to Guitar Center :wink:

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

merlyn wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:19 pm

I would think that it's difficult to defend JACK is Hannibal Lector with an ear fetish, but I can't wait to read what you've got to say about that.

People hate JACK until they have a working configuration.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

bluebell wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:58 am

Me <3 Jack! I mean, coming from windows, the freedom of routing and synchronizing you get with Jack is nothing less than a paradigm shift.

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

GMaq wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:16 pm

It is a weirdly counterintuitive thing but I always felt if you allowed Jeff's joke to land and get the laugh and either didn't respond negatively or doubled down on it showing you had a sense of humor about yourself you were good to go.

Ha, good to know I'm not the only one. He threw out a comment about Canadians and, trying to play along, I replied that I am one and inserted one or more apologies. I don't think my joke "took," though. Maybe Canadians' reputation for being overly apologetic is just a domestic thing? Or maybe I'm just not that funny! :lol:

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Impostor wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:01 pm
bluebell wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:58 am

Me <3 Jack! I mean, coming from windows, the freedom of routing and synchronizing you get with Jack is nothing less than a paradigm shift.

Totally agree with both of you. I jumped to Linux about 7 years ago when Windows shifted to the current model. Hated Jack when I didn't understand it, but now I'm loving the freedom. Freedom from the twisted corporate model; freedom to do just about anything I want.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I'll tip back an imaginary flagon of ginger ale for those who are no longer with us... Some that come to mind are TAERSH, Lyberta, 42low (anybody remember those conversations? I think they're all deleted now), and recently of course that charming young Italian @sofia-m who didn't actually exist :lol:

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

RyanH wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:42 am

Freedom from the twisted corporate model; freedom to do just about anything I want.

Meh, the biggest freedom is not to be treated like a blob of meat attached to a wallet to get advertised to...

Beyond that I don't see Linux as being all that free... GRUB2, PulseAudio, systemd, PipeWire and soon Wayland all pretty much force you to bend the knee or risk isolating yourself in a corner that you can't advance from... Sure you don't get the old ways outright taken away by some single corporate entity but they just slowly languish and die from lack of attention and maintenance..

When PulseAudio came out it was just a new option... use it if you like it, otherwise no problem, then every major Desktop Environment in every major Distro made it a hard dependency and later Web Browsers made it a hard dependency, like f**cking seriously? The WEB BROWSER is going to install a completely new Core Audio server on your system!? Spit on Windows all you want but Firefox is NOT going to replace it's Audio server ever!...lol. People just sit there and take it because it's Linux and we're all so free... that's NOT freedom, sorry. Systemd was exactly the same, sure there a few holdouts with sysvinit but it is very obvious if people high up in Red Hat want something changed it gets changed and you will be assimilated or forced to splinter into a malnourished niche fork..

Should I stop or should the now three universal Linux Packaging formats that are (not) making us all one big happy family be discussed as well..? Linux is great and it has some free sounding underpinnings but in application you still are at the mercy of other peoples decisions just because it isn't one single organization doesn't change that things are also forced upon the User.. Oh and don't get me started on UI toolkit obsolescence..

I should add... Of course thankfully there is progress and improvements to things and people will trend toward what works better and is easier to use, that however is a different argument than retaining the freedom to use what you want and have things how you want, my point is that's what the postcard about Linux says but when you are actually at the destination it has many of the same issues as what you had to deal with on the other side of the fence..

Last edited by GMaq on Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Michael Willis wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:06 pm

of course that charming young Italian @sofia-m who didn't actually exist :lol:

Haha,

We should have seen that one coming! Sadly we are a place where bright and talented new female posters need to be regarded with significant skepticism.. :(

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Someone once asked if my nik ('glowrak' is an anagram, perloined when I joined here, from someone's post who misquoted my other nik,
may have been a bit tipsy) was reference to me being 'Gloria Krawford', whoever that may have been, I've no idea. The few females I've suggested join any given forum, I've advised to choose a nik that did not point to their gender. I like musician websites that have a narrow focus.
Cheers

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

GMaq wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:26 pm

that however is a different argument than retaining the freedom to use what you want and have things how you want, my point is that's what the postcard about Linux says but when you are actually at the destination it has many of the same issues as what you had to deal with on the other side of the fence..

There's still Linux-From-Scratch if you're really dedicated to freedom? Anyway, my main issues with the other side of the fence are no issue on this side at all. And you'll find limits everywhere if you go far enough, but there are limits and then there are limits.

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

GMaq wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:26 pm

Meh, the biggest freedom is not to be treated like a blob of meat attached to a wallet to get advertised to...

I admit that Linux isn't perfect, and if I were doing all that hard work to create AVLinux or similar (for which you have my sympathies and admiration, btw), I'm sure I would feel the same as you, but from strictly a user perspective, that freedom to not be treated the way you mentioned above - and to not have to be on my toes to avoid myself or my loved ones being tricked - buys a lot of patience on my end.

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Michael Willis wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:06 pm

... and recently of course that charming young Italian @sofia-m who didn't actually exist :lol:

Wait, what? And perhaps more importantly: should I be deleting that piano SFZ I downloaded from a stranger's website?