FCB1010 Bank changes in Guitarix

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonr
Established Member

FCB1010 Bank changes in Guitarix

Post by jonr »

You should be able to follow along and by the end easily change banks in Guitarix with the FCB1010 pedals. This is probably a lot longer than it needs to be, but for me, it is not enough to know how, I like to be able to "see" what is happening. I have never used MIDI before so it took awhile just to understand the basics, so don't think you need to be a Jedi MIDI master to do this. I am not going to walk you through setting up WINE or installing the FCB1010 Manager software or how to install the SendMIDI and ReceiveMIDI tools. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EQUIPMENT:
Behringer FCB1010 - Firmware 2.5 (2.50.1E) No UnO chip but should work with almost any version of FW
mIO iCOnnectivity ($36 on Amazon) Any midi to USB should work

SOFTWARE:
Ubuntu Studio 22.04 (Any Linux OS will do...Linux is Linux)
FCB1010 Manager by Mountain Utilities (https://mountainutilities.eu/) Used Wine to run under Linux - Rumors of native Linux on website
SendMIDI - https://github.com/gbevin/SendMIDI
ReceiveMIDI - https://github.com/gbevin/ReceiveMIDI

YOUTUBE VIDEOS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1rchLlRAsU - Shows how to reset to factory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx7QkCCYsog - Shows how to program the FCB1010 with editors (Uses a different one but the idea is the same). Also, if you do have the UnO chip you will need the FCB1010 UnO Control Center as the stock application and Mountain Utilities do not support the UnO chip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMJQ-AHRSMs - How to use the Mountain Utilities FCB1010 Manager with the FCB1010 - WATCH THIS ONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYNND5nMWhc - 46 minutes long but has a lot of good information

MANUALS:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/43946 ... b1010.html

MIDI CC List:
https://www.whippedcreamsounds.com/midi-cc-list/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ISSUE:
You cannot change the Banks in Guitarix with the factory setup in the FCB1010. You need to issue two changes in a single MIDI command. By default, the FCB1010 will only send a PC command.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESET TO FACTORY AND CONNECT THE MIDI CABLE

1. Reset the FCB1010 to factory - If you bought it used it may be setup for something else, start from known state.

• Turn off FCB1010

• Hold down pedals 1 and 6

• Turn on and continue to hold until it counts down to 0 from 9 and release 1 and 6

2. Connect midi cables to the FCB1010 correctly

• The 5 pin midi connector labeled IN goes in the OUT of the FCB1010

• The 5 pin midi connector labeled OUT goes in the IN of the FCB1010

Just saved you ~2 hours :)

Ok, we are set to go and it is very simple at this point. You should have the SendMIDI and ReceiveMIDI applications installed, if not, not a deal breaker but it is nice to see what commands are being received. Also, the SendMIDI allows you to actually send MIDI commands from the command line to an application. This was helpful to me to show me what command needed to be sent from the FCB1010 to the application. I say "application" here because it is not specific to Guitarix, it can be used for any application that accepts MIDI commands.

SENDMIDI - RECEIVEMIDI

Here was my SendMIDI command, make sure the FCB1010 is turned on and connected to the MIDI cables and USB.

(SPACES MATTER IN THE SENDMIDI COMMAND)

Code: Select all

./sendmidi dev mio cc 0, 3 pc 2

This says:
Connect to dev(ice) mio
Send ChangeCommand 0 - In the MIDI List CC 0 is a Bank Select
The , 3 after the CC 0 command means select the third entry in the Guitarix Banks
The pc 2 means select the 2nd preset

If you have SendMIDI installed and you issue that command and have more than 3 banks to choose from in Guitarix, you just changed Banks and the associated Preset, very cool.

So how did I know my dev in the command? Use this to find it:

Code: Select all

aconnect -i -o -l

Once issued this is what I saw in the list, I used the name after the client 24: for my dev device.
client 24: 'mio' [type=kernel,card=2]
0 'mio MIDI 1 '
Connecting To: 128:0[real:0], 129:0[real:1], 130:1
Connected From: 128:0, 129:0, 130:0

So as I said, we need to send a CC and a PC command at the same time. By default the FCB1010 is only sending a PC command, that is why you can change the Presets but not the Banks. We did send two commands with the SendMIDI tool above, now we need to program the FCB1010 to do the same. If you have ReceiveMIDI running in another terminal, when you issued the SendMIDI command, you will see that two commands were sent on the ReceiveMIDI terminal window.

MOUNTAIN UTILITIES FCB1010 MANAGER:

We need to make a connection to send/receive from the FCB1010 Manager to the FCB1010 device. In the video that I noted as WATCH THIS ONE this can be found beginning at the 15:20 mark of that video. On the FCB1010 Manager you should see two buttons that look like 5 pin MIDI connectors both grayed out.

• Click the Options in the Manager

• On the Input tab choose your device and in the Thru output device leave as [None]

• On the Output tab choose your device and in the Thru output device leave as [None]

• On the Timer tab, do nothing, leave as is

Now you should see the two buttons as Red and Green, we now have a connection from the Manager to the FCB1010 and can send and receive commands from the Manager to the FCB1010. This is required to be able to update the FCB1010 with our commands to change the bank. We make the changes in the Manager and then load them onto the FCB1010.

Click the View drop down list on the Manager and open:

• 'Presets'

• 'Soft FCB1010'

• 'Selected Presets'

This will allow us to see our Banks:Pedal and the window to program, 'Selected Presets'.

So if the FCB1010 is showing 00 that is Bank 0 in the Presets table, the :1 means the first pedal 1 0:1, 0:2, 0:3 etc.,. Click on the pedals in the Soft FCB1010 and you will see that it changes in the Preset table. Whatever Bank and Pedal you want to program, you will click on it in the Soft FCB1010 and then it is active to be programmed.

On the 'Selected Presets' window you will see:

• Switch 1 and 2: These are for external switches you plug into the back of the FCB1010 and labeled Switch 1 and Switch 2.

• CNT1 and 2: These send our Command Change and we only need CNT1, CNT2 stays unchecked

• EXP A and B: The Expression pedals - not needed for our purposes, stays unchecked

• NOTE: Not needed for our purposes, stays unchecked

• PC1-PC5: PC5 is the one we want the rest stay unchecked

The CNT1 and 2 have these settings:

• Controller: This is MIDI CC 0 and in the MIDI list, MIDI CC 0 is to change the Bank

• Value 1: This is for which item in the Bank we want to enable

• Value 2: This is not needed

PC 5: This will select a specific Preset in the Bank, always leave a 1 so it always selects the first Preset in the list

MY SETUP FOR THE FCB1010:

I am going to explain how to set this up the way I did it. Once you have this figured out, you can make all the changes to the BANKS:PEDALS that make more sense to you.

On the FCB1010 I used BANK 00 and all 10 Pedals to change each Bank in in Guitarix, i.e. I step on Pedal 1 and it selects the first Bank in the Bank list in Guitarix, I step on Pedal 2 and it goes to the second Bank in the list all the way up through 10, each Pedal selects the next Bank in the Bank List.

On the FCB1010 I used Bank 01 and all 10 Pedals to change the Presets associated with each Bank.

SETTING UP BANK CHANGE IN MANAGER:

Ensure on the 'Soft FCB1010' that it shows 00 and button 1 is lit up

Selected Presets Window:

• CNT 1: Check mark

• CNT 1 - Controller: 0

• CNT 1 - Value 1: 0

• PC 5: Check mark

• PC 5 - Value: 1

Click Pedal 2 on the 'Soft FCB1010' and increment the CNT 1 - Value 1: by 1. This selects the next Bank in Guitarix

• CNT 1: Check mark

• CNT 1 - Controller: 0

• CNT 1 - Value 1: 1 <---------------------INCREMENT

Keep following the same pattern incrementing Value 1 in the CNT 1 by one for each of the pedals all the way through 10

SETTING UP PRESET CHANGE IN MANAGER:

On the 'Soft FCB1010' hit the 'UP' button to change to 01 and select the pedal 1 to program our pedals for the Presets of each of our Banks.

Selected Presets Window:
Everything is unchecked and no values are present

Click Pedal 2 on the 'Soft FCB1010' and increment the PC 5 - Value 1: by 1. This selects the next Preset in the Bank in Guitarix
Everything is unchecked and no values are present

• PC 5 - Value: 2

Keep following the same pattern incrementing Value 1 in the PC 5 by one for each of the pedals all the way through 10

SENDING DATA FROM MANAGER TO FCB1010:

This is the easy part, once you click on the Green 5 pin button on the Manager it will provide instructions. I didn't disconnect and reconnect the cable, steps 1 and 3 but followed all other steps. Once you have followed the steps and are at step 6, press the 'OK' button to transmit our settings from the Manager to the FCB1010. It will then show you how to save the configuration to the FCB1010 by holding down the 'Down' pedal, do this or your changes will not take effect if you reboot the FCB1010.

That's it!

You should now be able to choose Bank 00 on the FCB1010 and hit pedal one and choose Bank 1 in Guitarix, press pedal 2 in Bank 00 and it selects the second Bank in Guitarix.

Switch to Bank 01 on the FCB1010 and the pedals will select each of the Presets of the associated Bank in Guitarix.

If you screw up somewhere, reset the FCB1010 and start over and to get a better understanding of the Mountain Utilities FCB1010 Manager tool, definitely watch the video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMJQ-AHRSMs - How to use the Mountain Utilities FCB1010 Manager with the FCB1010

Hopefully someone finds this useful,

Jon

MarkTurnerNC
Established Member

Re: FCB1010 Bank changes in Guitarix

Post by MarkTurnerNC »

Thanks for this, Jon! I just got my FCB1010 and have followed your instructions. It appears that only pedals 1-5 are working - pedals 6-10 briefly flash when I press them but do not change banks/presets. What am I missing?

jonr
Established Member

Post by jonr »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the thanks!

I did not run into that issue when I was figuring this out but this is how I would go about trying to fix it.

1, Ensure you have the right chip for the FCB, I don't think the UNO chips work correctly with the Mt Utilis.

1. If chip is good, compare pedal 6 with pedal 5 in the mountain utilities program to ensure they are an exact match except where it needs to be incremented.

2. Use the Send/Recvmidi tool to see what is actually being sent to guitarix from the board. If you didn't setup the Send/Recvmidi it is simple to do, I would recommend taking the 10 minutes to get it installed and figured out.

4, Make sure you are actually on 00 when trying to program 6-10 - This section "SETTING UP BANK CHANGE IN MANAGER:"

MarkTurnerNC
Established Member

Post by MarkTurnerNC »

I will try these. Thanks!

MarkTurnerNC
Established Member

Post by MarkTurnerNC »

So how can I determine whether I have an UNO chip or not, short of popping the cover?

jonr
Established Member

Post by jonr »

That is the only way to know for sure as far as I know. If it is not the UNO chip, then you could start over by resetting and going through it again. If you have a used board there may be an issue with it, so try setting up 6-10 first and see if they are actually taking the commands. Then at least you would know those pedals can take the commands.

steuber

Post by steuber »

I just got my FCB1010 and have followed your instructions.