Steven Slate Drums 5

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Tarrasque
Established Member

Steven Slate Drums 5

Post by Tarrasque »

Hi all.

I'm trying to use the SSD 5 free VST on Ubuntu Studio 23.04.

The plugin loads and shows in Carla, but the GUI is somewhat "stuck".

Clicks on different buttons seemo to have an effect but the interfaxe does not change until you close the window (gear icon in Carla) and reopen it.

This makes using it almost impossible, though with lots of trial and error I managed to load a drumset and get audio out of it.

Anyone tried to use it? An advice?

tjarx
Established Member

Re: Steven Slate Drums 5

Post by tjarx »

Are you using yabridge to run the plugin? If so, check out this link:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... -and-fixes

The second bullet point addresses your issue. Hope the fix will work for you!

Cheers

Tarrasque
Established Member

Post by Tarrasque »

Thank you for answering, I'll try to read the docs you pointed to as soon as you can.

Unfortunately I know nearly nothing about wine, and I never used this ya ridge, but the symptoms are exactly those I'm experiencing and maybe I can find the solution there.

tjarx
Established Member

Post by tjarx »

Interesting. How did you install SSD5? Because on their website I see no linux version mentioned anywhere. Therefore it should only be possible to run it with WINE.

Tarrasque
Established Member

Post by Tarrasque »

IIRC I just copied the plugin from a Windows installation to the VST folders in my Ubuntu Studio system scanned by Carla. Then it did it's magic. No doubt it uses wine under the hood, but I never configured it.

Tarrasque
Established Member

Post by Tarrasque »

tjarx wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:33 pm

Interesting. How did you install SSD5? Because on their website I see no linux version mentioned anywhere. Therefore it should only be possible to run it with WINE.

I think I made some mistake and messed up everything!

I was trying to figure out how windows VSTs were working on my PC and found out there is a yabridge installation in /home/user/.local/yabridge, and of course wine, all courtesy of the initial Ubuntu Studio installation. Now, a lot of time passed since I installed everything so I don't remember what I had exactly done then, but Ubuntu Studio was pretty "click next".

I tried running yabridgectl status and sync as per the docs and I had a "winedump not found error" with the indication that that program could be part of a separate package. So I carelessly did a "apt get install wine" and after that NO WINDOWS VST works anymore!!!

When loading from Reaper or Carla now everything crashes, sometimes even JACK.

I have no idea how to fix this or even where to find logs of the underlying issue.

tjarx
Established Member

Post by tjarx »

Try uninstalling wine and install "wine-staging" instead.

Tarrasque
Established Member

Post by Tarrasque »

tjarx wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:45 pm

Try uninstalling wine and install "wine-staging" instead.

I tried uninstalling wine and something funny happened.

My no longer working current version of wine was: wine-8.0.1 (Ubuntu 8.0.1repack-3ubuntu2)

I issued sudo apt-get --purge remove wine, and the messages seemed to indicate that the operation was successful

Code: Select all

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  wine*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 138 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 665162 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing wine (8.0.1~repack-3ubuntu2) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.11.2-3) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...

Strangely, instead of having a wineless system, wine --version now gives me wine-7.20 (Ubuntu 7.20repack-1)

So it seems I "downgraded". Now all plugins and stuff that had ceased to function now work as before (so, sound but frozen GUI from SSD5.

Now I'm a bit hesitant to do anything else. I'd really like to have SSD5 working, but I fear messing up again and losing all the other plugins that work.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Tarrasque

Strangely, instead of having a wineless system, wine --version now gives me wine-7.20 (Ubuntu 7.20repack-1)

So it seems I "downgraded". Now all plugins and stuff that had ceased to function now work as before (so, sound but frozen GUI from SSD5.

Now I'm a bit hesitant to do anything else. I'd really like to have SSD5 working, but I fear messing up again and losing all the other plugins that work.

Hmm, that is odd: seems like you have a non-Debian-packaged version of WINE installed somewhere else on your system, or maybe one with a different name (e.g., my AVL-MX system has winehq-staging installed). What does the following yield?

$ which wine
$ dpkg-query --search $(which wine)

My system shows:

$ which wine
/usr/bin/wine
$ dpkg-query --search $(which wine)
winehq-staging: /usr/bin/wine
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Tarrasque
Established Member

Post by Tarrasque »

Yes, I investigated a bit further and I found out that /usr/bin/wine is a symlink to /etc/alternatives/wine, which itself symlinks to /usr/bin/wine-development. According to Synaptic (actually, Muon) I have the wine-development package installed which provides /usr/bin/wine-development which is exactly wine-7.20 (Ubuntu 7.20repack-1).

I think installing the wine package broke some of the symlinks and removing it fixed the issues.

So, I guess Ubuntu Studio provides all wine related stuff needed to run Windows plugins (I also see the carla-bridge* packages) in the default installation. The system runs Ubuntu Studio 23.10 currently, but I have had it for a few years and I did quite a lot of distro updates in the meantime. It could be that wine 7.20 is too old to properly manage SSD, but at the moment I'm quite scared of messing again with wine in case it backfires again and I get unable to use all my plugins again.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, if you can get an Solid State Drive or other drive in a usb case, install AVLinux, it will be in working order,
including wine-staging and yabridge, with audio i/o recognizing one another nicely. You can keep Ubuntu Studio
and use both based on their merits. When wine is working well in AVLinux, backup your Ubuntu Studio .wine folder,
fully uninstall all wine files/folders and links, and install wine-staging from www.winehq.org, then copy over your
backup vst path folders, and the registry files
system.reg
user.reg
userdef.reg
(I put the originals in a folder named 'default-reg' )

as these files should hold your authorization data.
Cheers

Last edited by glowrak guy on Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarrasque
Established Member

Post by Tarrasque »

glowrak guy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:13 am

Hi, if you can get an Solid State Drive or other drive in a usb case, install AVLinux, it will be in working order,
including wine-staging and yabridve, with audio i/o recognizing one another nicely. You can keep Ubuntu Studio
and use both based on their merits. When wine is working well in AVLinux, backup your Ubuntu Studio .wine folder,
fully uninstall all wine files/folders and links, and install wine-staging from www.winehq.org, then copy over your
backup vst path folders, and the registry files
system.reg
user.reg
userdef.reg
(I put the originals in a folder named 'default-reg' )

as these files should hold your authorization data.
Cheers

Interesting suggestion.

So you're basically suggestiong to install an alternate boot drive, replicate my setup with Reaper, projects and plugins until I have a working backup system before trying to mess with my regular system?

If this is the case, why not installing Ubuntu Studio latest version from scratch? Everything I would learn by setting up the alternate installation will help me maybe fixing up the primary one, isn't it?

Not that I'm married to Ubuntu Studio: it was just the first music oriented distribution I chose, based on the fact that it seemed quite newbie friendly (it is) and I'm a long time Ubuntu user, so I was already familiar with the baasic distro. I'd like to try also AVLinux, maybe I'll like more than Ubuntu Studio, but I don't know if this is the right moment to do it.

Tarrasque
Established Member

Post by Tarrasque »

Unfortunately, I have been trying all I could do, but with no success.

I installed AV on an USB drive, and it's working. I moved all my projects there, no problem.

Then I tried installing SSD5 using Bottles, making sure to activate Vulkan compatibility and stuff.

With the yavbridge tool it was easy making SSD5 VST be recognized by Reaper, but the end result is still the same: The UI does not update whenever I click on a control.

is there anything else I can do?

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Tarrasque

The yabridge known issue linked above by @tjarx says:

If a plugin seems to work fine except for the fact that the GUI never seems to update when you interact with it, then try installing DXVK. Many recent JUCE-based plugins don't redraw anymore when using WineD3D. Make sure you also install Vulkan drivers if you don't already have those set up.

with a link to the DVX project. Have you installed that?

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Tarrasque
Established Member

Post by Tarrasque »

tseaver wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:21 pm

@Tarrasque

The yabridge known issue linked above by @tjarx says:

If a plugin seems to work fine except for the fact that the GUI never seems to update when you interact with it, then try installing DXVK. Many recent JUCE-based plugins don't redraw anymore when using WineD3D. Make sure you also install Vulkan drivers if you don't already have those set up.

with a link to the DVX project. Have you installed that?

As per DXVK documentation I should be good

Tools such as Steam Play, Lutris, Bottles, Heroic Launcher, etc will automatically handle setup of dxvk on their own when enabled.

That's one of the main reasons I resorted to Bottles.

P.S. of course I enabled DXVK on the bottle where I installed SSD5