For those experiencing distortion and crackles after stopping jack on USB interfaces

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Robin Cherry
Established Member

For those experiencing distortion and crackles after stopping jack on USB interfaces

Post by Robin Cherry »

I found a workaround to this problem that I and others have been experiencing with USB interfaces not coming back to life correctly after stopping jack. The symptoms are distorted, quiet, and crackly audio after stopping jack. I don't fully know the cause. I suspect the interface isn't reverting to the correct sample rate somehow when jack stops. I had been unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in to reset it which fixed it just fine but puts extra wear and tear on my hardware. I just found the usbreset utility though.

For my card I do the following:

• Enter "usbreset" in a terminal and find your interface in the list.
  • Use "sudo usbreset" and whichever of the methods listed in the terminal referring to your device you prefer.
  • In my case I used "sudo usbreset 001/004" because that is the location shown for my card in the terminal.

I wish there was a way to do it without sudo but alas.

Hope that's helpful,
Robin Cherry

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: For those experiencing distortion and crackles after stopping jack on USB interfaces

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Thanks for the tip. Never heard of the handy command usbreset until now. :)

sjzstudio
Established Member

Re: For those experiencing distortion and crackles after stopping jack on USB interfaces

Post by sjzstudio »

This solved a problem that has been with AvLinux MXE for the past year or so.
Also works when returning to the desktop from Ardour or Mixbus 32C after using ALSA
Behringer U-phoria UMC202HD

For some reason RME UFX+ and 802 don't need anything but work directly without resetting.

Thanks a lot

Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

sjzstudio wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:41 pm

This solved a problem that has been with AvLinux MXE for the past year or so.
Also works when returning to the desktop from Ardour or Mixbus 32C after using ALSA
Behringer U-phoria UMC202HD

For some reason RME UFX+ and 802 don't need anything but work directly without resetting.

Thanks a lot

I'm glad to help! I've had the same issue on my manjaro system for the same amount of time.

I'd be really happy if someone knows a way to do it without sudo privileges so I could add it to my qjackctl post shutdown script though.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Robin Cherry wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:41 am

I'd be really happy if someone knows a way to do it without sudo privileges so I could add it to my qjackctl post shutdown script though.

You may be able to add a custom line in /etc/sudoers file to run that command with NOPASSWD option.
For example, I have one to run cpupower to change CPU governor:

Code: Select all

#Allow <user> to execute cpupower without password
<user>   ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/cpupower

Of course substitute <user> for your username. You can use a group name instead if you wish.

Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

sunrat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:30 am
Robin Cherry wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:41 am

You may be able to add a custom line in /etc/sudoers file to run that command with NOPASSWD option.
For example, I have one to run cpupower to change CPU governor:

#Allow <user> to execute cpupower without password
<user>   ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/cpupower

Of course substitute <user> for your username. You can use a group name instead if you wish.

Cool, I tried this last night but it wouldn't work. I think it's because my user file is also in the admin group if I understand things correctly. I also tried putting it in a file in /etc/sudoers.d with the same result. It always asks for the password. I think this is the right approach though if I can work it out.

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Robin Cherry wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:14 pm

Cool, I tried this last night but it wouldn't work. I think it's because my user file is also in the admin group if I understand things correctly. I also tried putting it in a file in /etc/sudoers.d with the same result. It always asks for the password. I think this is the right approach though if I can work it out.

Have you tried to use sudo in front of the command?

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

LAM wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:36 pm
Robin Cherry wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:14 pm

Have you tried to use sudo in front of the command?

I will try that tonight. Is the idea that I still use sudo but it won't prompt for a password?

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Yes

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Yes you still need to prepend sudo to the command and it shouldn't ask for password. I actually made 2 scripts in ~/bin for cpu govermors, one called ondemand and one called performance. To run them I just need to use the script name as the command. Contents of script:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/sudo cpupower frequency-set -g performance
Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

Nice, that totally works! Thanks @sunrat and @LAM. I hadn't understood it's implementation correctly.

I've successfully added it to my post shutdown script in qjackctl also. I also had been setting my cpugovernor with a script but have now integrated both enabling performance mode on jack startup and reverting to schedutil after jack shutdown into my qjackctl settings.

Thanks again.

profquad
Established Member

Post by profquad »

wow thank you so much for this. Was getting annoyed switching away from Reaper and trying to get anything else to play.

Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

profquad wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:03 pm

wow thank you so much for this. Was getting annoyed switching away from Reaper and trying to get anything else to play.

Happy to help!