RME RayDAT not recognized after firmware upgrade

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

gelabs
Established Member

RME RayDAT not recognized after firmware upgrade

Post by gelabs »

Hello,

I upgraded the firmware on my RME RayDAT on Windows using the "Windows Flash Update Tool for HDSPe Series" (release 2023-01-27), everything worked as it should on Windows after a full shutdown and booting again in Windows. Alas after rebooting on Linux the card was simply not here anymore. lspci listed it, but that's all.
The snd-hdspm module wasn't even loaded. Trying to load it didn't do anything, the RayDAT still wasn't listed in /proc/asound/cards.
I tried to reinstall the modules, and even booted on a live CD, to no success.

Finally, I could have my audio card back by compiling this module : https://github.com/PhilippeBekaert/snd-hdspe ans inserting it.
Then, I followed the instructions to build it with DKMS. The RayDAT seems now fully operational on Linux (which is a Debian sid, by the way).
Only notable difference for now is that the name of the card changed so I had to reflect that in my DAW.

I don't know exactly what has gone wrong but if anyone has this problem there is this solution.

bluebell
Established Member

Re: RME RayDAT not recognized after firmware upgrade

Post by bluebell »

Interesting: 2x ADAT for 600 €.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

jean-emmanuel
Established Member

Post by jean-emmanuel »

4x ADAT actually (4 in, 4 out), a rock solid clock and MIDI I/O, I'd be curious to see any serious alternative in that price range.

gelabs
Established Member

Post by gelabs »

It's a very good audio interface, just don't upgrade to the last firmware ... unless it's a very specific problem on my side.
As for the alternatives, there is the RME Digiface USB, which is also 4x IN/OUT ADAT for 444€.

jean-emmanuel
Established Member

Post by jean-emmanuel »

As far as I know the Digiface USB doesn't work on linux (https://discourse.ardour.org/t/rme-digiface-usb/88853/4), any progress on this it would be great news I guess.

JustALawnGnome7

Post by JustALawnGnome7 »

While you can always downgrade the firmware to the last version that isn’t “DriverKit compatible” and your RayDat will work with the “snd-hdspm” ALSA driver that ships with the kernel, I honestly recommend running the “snd-hdspe” driver that you compiled. While neither ALSA driver will work with the “hdspconf” configuration tool (the one that ships with alsa-tools) anymore, the newer “snd-hdspe” driver can at least be used with “hdspeconf” (link below).

https://github.com/PhilippeBekaert/hdspeconf

cupakm
Established Member

Post by cupakm »

bluebell wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:22 pm

Interesting: 2x ADAT for 600 €.

jean-emmanuel wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:17 pm

4x ADAT actually (4 in, 4 out), a rock solid clock and MIDI I/O, I'd be curious to see any serious alternative in that price range.

...actually 4x ADAT, 2x MIDI i/o, plus a SPDIF pair and AES too, and one can expand with 1x WC in + 2x WC out with a word-clock module.

For 600€ new or around 300-ish used if you're lucky.