AV Linux support? I have a question

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ThatJackElliott
Established Member

AV Linux support? I have a question

Post by ThatJackElliott »

Hi, I'm interested in giving AV Linux (MX edition) a test-drive. I have it installed, I'm looking at the desktop, I can't find any way to turn on wifi and connect to my hot spot. The very nice manual for MX AV Linux shows how to identify what network interface driver is found, but I can't tell how to apply the information. My question: is there a support forum for AV Linux? I may need to have my hand held. Thank you!

-- Jack Elliott
They'll never take me alive

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AV Linux support? I have a question

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

There should be a networking icon in the 'system tray' in the lower right hand corner of the screen clicking on it should show you your wired and wireless network options from 'network-manager' like most common Distros..

As far as support AV Linux has one spare time developer and maintainer and I work offline much of the day so I can't run a full time Forum, For the best system-wide support I suggest the MX Linux Respins forum here:

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=127

I am also here sometimes and often music software specific questions can be answered here. I will also point out that a new AV Linux is being developed right now and should be released in the next month, it is moving to a new Debian platform (Bullseye->Bookworm) so the current version will not be upgradable to the new version without reinstalling so you might want to wait for the new version..

ThatJackElliott
Established Member

Post by ThatJackElliott »

Thanks for answering! I feel like a very slow child right now -- yes, the icon was there and yes it works. You have more pressing things to take care of, thank you for pointing me to the MX Respins forum. I appreciate that you took the time to post a reply to my question. Have a good day!

-- Jack Elliott
They'll never take me alive

Cafe
Established Member

Post by Cafe »

It would be best to integrate wicd-gtk into AV Linux.

python-wicd/bionic,bionic 1.7.4+tb2-5 all
wired and wireless network manager - Python module

wicd/bionic,bionic 1.7.4+tb2-5 all
wired and wireless network manager - metapackage

wicd-cli/bionic,bionic 1.7.4+tb2-5 all
wired and wireless network manager - scriptable console client

wicd-curses/bionic,bionic 1.7.4+tb2-5 all
wired and wireless network manager - Curses client

wicd-daemon/bionic,bionic 1.7.4+tb2-5 all
wired and wireless network manager - daemon

wicd-gtk/bionic,bionic 1.7.4+tb2-5 all
wired and wireless network manager - GTK+ client

Unfortunately, it cannot be installed from the repo, it has problems.

I'm used to Slackware though.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Cafe
It would be best to integrate wicd-gtk into AV Linux.

Code: Select all

python-wicd/bionic,bionic 1.7.4+tb2-5 all

A couple of points

• AVLinux MXE is based on the MX Linux distro (version 21.3, "wildflower"), which is itself based on Debian, currently the Debian 11.6 “bullseye” version: no wicd* is available in those repositories.

• AVLinux does not use the Gnome desktop by default, preferring the "lighter weight" XFCE.

• The version shown in your example is from an extremely old Ubuntu verison, which went out of support 2023-05-31.

• It appears that Debian has dropped support for wicd in recent versions: https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all

• As has Ubuntu: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wicd

• The bzr repos for wicd show the most recent commit as 2020-05-20; the latest commit on the experimental branch not related to automated translation updates is from 2016-01-27.

Per @Gmaq 's latest post, the next version of AVLinux is likely to be built around the newer version of MX Linux (version 23, "libretto"), which is itself based on Debian 12 "bookworm", which will not have support for wicd. Given the current state of the package, and the fact that the OP's original problem is resolved through support here, I can't see any reason for @Gmaq to spend a bit of time on integrating it, versus other, more relevant work.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Cafe
Established Member

Post by Cafe »

OK,
if the problem is solved, there is more important task.
Network management is a weakness of many distributions, wpa-supplicant is more of a cheese grater if you get the point...

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Yes wicd is not an option however if it makes any difference the next AV Linux 23 will be based on Enlightenment DE which utilizes 'Connman' instead of Gnome Network Manager.