Jack audio driver in Windows / Linux sample rate mismatch

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

free

Jack audio driver in Windows / Linux sample rate mismatch

Post by free »

Hi mates, I'm new to this forum! I hope this will be an interesting way of learning about Linux and/or music creation tools. Also I will try to help others as much as I can.

I'm used to StackExchange forums where it is almost not allowed to say hello / I'm new here / I have a problem I'd like to ask you about / etc. That's why my previous post was so brief. Sorry, if that was not kind from me. Now I realized and I copied the previous message and edited it.

I'm setting up two computers so that I can play the audio from my main computer (Windows 10) to the sound system connected to the other one (Lubuntu 22 LTS). Instead of installing a laaarge audio cable, I looked for another solution, and I found Jack audio connection kit (some time ago), and then I leveraged Ethernet cables I have installed to both computers. Now, after a fresh install on both computers, I'm having problems that I'd like to ask you about. Let me tell you.

I have a home setup with 2 computers connected with Jack net driver.

• First, my Lubuntu 22 LTS with Jackd2, acting as master, alsa driver, my soundcard is Maudio delta 1010. I installed the alsa-tools package as driver for this soundcard.
  • Second, a Windows 10 22H2 with Jack 2, acting as slave, net driver, and trying to route audio to the linux system.
    In the Windows host, I have a VB-Audio ASIO Bridge acting as driver and sending the global Windows audio to the Linux system, through Jack.

The problem is that there's a conflict somewhere, between sample rates 44100 Hz and 48000 Hz.

I used to have the same setup as now, and everything was fine. Now I have fresh installed Windows and Lubuntu and I'm having this problem.
Before, I had Ubuntu 16 LTS but after fresh installing Lubuntu 22LTS I'm having this problem, and then I reinstalled Ubuntu 16 LTS and I still had the same problem again. Today I got to successfully configure Ubuntu 16 LTS and I thought I had fixed the problem somewhere in my Windows host side. Then I installed Lubuntu 22 LTS (which I prefer) and then I'm having the same problem again.

Let me show you a screenshot descriptive of what's happening.
The mismatch between 44100 and 48000 are causing the music to detune and frequent cuts.

I have looked for a way to configure the sample rate in the various configurations, both in Windows and Lubuntu hosts. These configurations are the following:

• The jack router configuration in Windows host, which, AFAIK, doesn't let me specify the sample rate.
  • The sound configuration in Windows settings, which lets me set 44100 Hz (which I prefer, I forgot to say), in VB-audio ASIO bridge output and input sound drivers. These correspond to the left and right side sample rates in the screenshot.
  • net driver in qjackctl doesn't let me set sample rate (I imagine it takes that setting from the master host (Lubuntu)).
  • alsa driver in qjackctl in Lubuntu, where I set the sample rate as 44100 Hz too.
  • I didn't find any other configurations where I can set the sample rate.

Thanks in advance

Free

Attachments
2023.10.14.211749.128 (VBCABLE_AsioBridge).png
2023.10.14.211749.128 (VBCABLE_AsioBridge).png (203.57 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
RaphaelXZ

Re: Jack audio driver in Windows / Linux sample rate mismatch

Post by RaphaelXZ »

I currently rely on AudioRelay for its cross-platform audio streaming capabilities. It bridges my workflow between Linux, Windows, and Android allowing me to easily share audio between them. It is also compatible with Mac.