AVL-MXE: options for upgrading Ardour?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

gregariousgus
Established Member

AVL-MXE: options for upgrading Ardour?

Post by gregariousgus »

Hi @GMaq -- I am really liking the use of AVL MXE distribution. Ardour is my main interest here. However according to Paul Davis,

Code: Select all

Tempo mapping does not function correctly (or as intended, at least) even in 7.3.
It will be fixed/improved for 7.4

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/tempo-ma ... ems/108385

Is there a way I can get such minor-version updates of Ardour through my installation of AV Linux?

Thank you!
gg

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AVL-MXE: options for upgrading Ardour?

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words about AV Linux.. Ardour is kind of a special case and presents some unique needs I try to address.

• Ardour as prepared to use by it's developers in not free, their source code is of course but not their prepared binary..
  • Ardour developers only offer User support for their own binaries..

Because of the above wishes and intentions of the Ardour team I don't package Ardour routinely, what I do is with the express permission of Paul Davis I take my own binary from ardour.org that I pay for with a subscription and I format it it into a Debian Package and place it on AV Linux ISO's when I release them. This provides a fully functional and fully supported version of Ardour that people can stick with or in their own time they can also purchase an upgraded Ardour version and support the work of the Ardour team. On rare occasions if there is a glaring bug in an Ardour release on the AV Linux ISO I will provide a better build shortly after release but not after several months.

With AV Linux your choice is to use what's there until a new version of the AV Linux ISO is released (which in this case won't be for at least a couple of months) or you can purchase an upgrade from ardour.org and they make the options very affordable.

I hope that makes sense..

martibs
Established Member

Re: AVL-MXE: options for upgrading Ardour?

Post by martibs »

Just a quick tip here @gregariousgus :
Ardour release 8.0 is just around the corner. If you choose the Single Payment plan for Ardour, you will get access to a packaged installer of the latest version, and of all following minor versions for that release*. So if you wait until 8.0 is released, and buy it with the Single Payment, you will also get access to the 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 installers as they are released.
And you may even pay as much (or as little) as you want. Ardour is a great piece of software, and the full-time developer(s) need to eat, so keep that in mind when choosing how much to pay.

*If you pay $45 or more, you will also get access to the next release (9.X)