Plugin development philosophy

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Plugin development philosophy

Post by sysrqer »

Largos wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:29 pm

Heaven forbid you learn to use something. :lol: Maybe there are no presets because noone knows how to use compressors after X years of everyone using presets.

I've been making and mixing music both in a computer and on hardware in studios for over 20 years. As I said in my post, wanting presets isn't about not learning something, in fact you can learn a lot from presets. But carry on with that narrow minded and elitist attitude, that really helps everyone both learn and make music :roll:

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

sysrqer wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:45 pm

I've been making and mixing music both in a computer and on hardware in studios for over 20 years. As I said in my post, wanting presets isn't about not learning something, in fact you can learn a lot from presets. But carry on with that narrow minded and elitist attitude, that really helps everyone both learn and make music :roll:

You can find the presets this "elitist" provided in up to date versions of LSP Equalizers, where are your compressor presets? I submitted them and they were in the next version. Anyone who can operate a plugin, can make a preset, this doesn't need to be left to developers who are already doing a lot. So I am saying to people who are saying that plugins need more presets, you can also step up.

I'm sceptical about how much you can really learn from presets vs how much just sitting and using the controls to see what they do, alongside technical knowledge of the functions. Easiness doesn't generally translate into better results.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Next question: Should dials show numeric values, or should numbers be hidden to encourage "trust your ears"?

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Michael Willis wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:01 pm

@GMaq, do you have any opinions about this? As somebody who curates plugins for AVLinux, would it be beneficial to have more "just add magic" plugins? Or are we at a point that Linux has a too-many-plugins problem?

Hi Michael!

AVLinux has plenty of quirks and things to critique but I would have to say the most common complaint is that it has too much stuff in it... :lol:

The last release went on a Plugin diet and I stopped putting the same Plugins in triplicate (VST2, VST3 and LV2) formats but even then there are a lot of duplications... please Linux devs no more compressors... I think we're good now! I uniquely mix FOSS and commercial demos so that adds to the number of choices but it also extends the quality of choices (in some cases anyway). As far as presets I agree that probably most applicable Plugins should have at least 6-10 presets to get the ball rolling of course the more complex the Plugin the more presets it should have, like a Synth should have far more than a compressor as a simple example.

For my own use I run everything from ancient LADSPA LV2 reheats like TAP Tubewarmth, Tremolo and the SWH Barry's Satan Maximizer all the way up to Bridging Windows Fabfilter stuff in yabridge and all points in between but I would guess that most people who are doing actual regular production work use 20 Plugins or less so most need a small amount of Plugins that KILL rather than a limitless number of Plugins of each kind..

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

GMaq wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:22 am

TAP Tubewarmth

Funny thing, I discovered that TAP Tubewarmth is the algorithm that does most of the work in Calf Bass Enhancer. The rest of that calf plugin is just gain, low pass, and high pass.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:59 am

Next question: Should dials show numeric values, or should numbers be hidden to encourage "trust your ears"?

Displaying numeric values may help when you want to automate a parameter.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:27 am
GMaq wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:22 am

TAP Tubewarmth

Funny thing, I discovered that TAP Tubewarmth is the algorithm that does most of the work in Calf Bass Enhancer. The rest of that calf plugin is just gain, low pass, and high pass.

Wow that's really interesting! It is a phenomenal use-case and I for one would love to see that bass enhancer (well tubewarmth in general) get another non-GTK lease on life.. Even as a mild saturator it sounds unlike anything I've found on Windows. It's magic on Vocals and especially on Hammond organ type sounds, perfect grind without grit.. 8)

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I have to admit that at least 50% of my motivation for starting this thread is that I want to make an effect plugin called "Tallow". It would have two control sections: Saturated . . . Fat. I imagine the saturation stage mostly just being TAP tube warmth, and then the fatten stage would mostly borrow the suboctave enhancer from Bluelab Infra. Either stage could be disabled.

SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Absolutely show actual values. And let the user enter a specific value via the keyboard. And if you can, use actual real-life units like dB, Hz, cents, etc.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:43 pm

I have to admit that at least 50% of my motivation for starting this thread is that I want to make an effect plugin called "Tallow". It would have two control sections: Saturated . . . Fat. I imagine the saturation stage mostly just being TAP tube warmth, and then the fatten stage would mostly borrow the suboctave enhancer from Bluelab Infra. Either stage could be disabled.

I LOVE this idea! Can one of the presets be "Lard" and one of the parameters to tweak named 'cholesterol'

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I think we're teetering on the brink of having somebody really upset about cutesy names.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:37 pm

I think we're teetering on the brink of having somebody really upset about cutesy names.

I wonder who. But now you mention it, it could perhaps be beneficial to the sanity of certain clueless endusers of audio plugins to give these plugins (and their presets) somewhat more descriptive names, providing them with not too obscure clues to their possible uses.

Edit, to illustrate: I had to google to find out what Tallow is. Now, if you used the name DGAT instead, that would immediately make clear that the plugin's purpose is to fatten the sound!

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:37 pm

"Linux name fail" is a prerequisite to creating applications or Plugins on Linux, non-standard, silly and err... uhm... "cutesy' names are where the so-called freedom lives!!

Tallow is a great name... I can totally see any boutique Plugin or even stompbox maker using something like that...

barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

Both :D
If it is a meaningful unit, like compressor ratio, reverb T60 or gain, it should be displayed.
If it is an amount (think 65% or 2/10), I just need to know where I currently am in the allowed range and maybe if it is a linear progression or a logarithmic one.

You could also show numeric values in a dedicated place and leave dials blank, best of both worlds. 8)

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Impostor wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:29 pm

I wonder who.

What if the plugin name reported to the DAW consists of both the cutesy name and the functional purpose? For example, like this:

Breathe (High Freq Noise Enhancer)
Patina (Lofi / Vinyl Effect)
Regalia (Stereo Width / HAAS)
Seltzer (Harmonics Exciter)
Tallow (Bass Enhancer)