Plugin development philosophy

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Re: Plugin development philosophy

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:59 am

Next question: Should dials show numeric values, or should numbers be hidden to encourage "trust your ears"?

The correct answer to these two possibilities is a dear full and sincere yes!
The way to achieve the GUI is now left for study ;)
Maybe as a default keep the values hidden but when the mouse flies aver a pot or a fader and a special (shift/ctrl/alt) is activated let the hovered value be in lights (saying Johny B Goode if needed)?

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:18 pm
Impostor wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:29 pm

I wonder who.

What if the plugin name reported to the DAW consists of both the cutesy name and the functional purpose? For example, like this:

Breathe (High Freq Noise Enhancer)
Patina (Lofi / Vinyl Effect)
Regalia (Stereo Width / HAAS)
Seltzer (Harmonics Exciter)
Tallow (Bass Enhancer)

I think the names should be thematically kept consistent and not be about different topics.. Let's just say you are sticking with the fat/tallow concept then the names should all relate to cooking with fat(s) or even properties of the fats..

Off the top of my head (I need to think about it more)

Fried Eggs (High Freq Noise Enhancer)
Bacon (it 'spatters') (Lofi / Vinyl Effect)
Butter (it spreads... get it?) (Stereo Width / HAAS)
Olive Oil (Harmonics Exciter)
Tallow (Bass Enhancer)

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Ha! @GMaq, your first response in this thread made me feel like you were saying "No vacancy! We already have too many plugins!" But now you're totally on board with a new suite of effects that have silly names.

This is still really hypothetical. I only barely know enough about DSP to get myself into trouble. I've been digging into these open source effects and I asked a couple of questions on the Ardour IRC, only to have Robin and Paul indicate that I shouldn't necessarily trust these project to show me the "right" way to do things.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

GMaq wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:57 pm

Fried Eggs (High Freq Noise Enhancer)
Bacon (it 'spatters') (Lofi / Vinyl Effect)
Butter (it spreads... get it?) (Stereo Width / HAAS)
Olive Oil (Harmonics Exciter)
Tallow (Bass Enhancer)

These made me think of Sausage Fattener, which I've never used, but I'm convinced that half of the reason people like it is because the sausage's facial expression changes in response to the dials.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Using "fat" seems like a mistake when using "phat always makes anything it's used on automatically sound better.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Tallow: Saturated Phat

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:46 pm

Tallow: Saturated Phat

Tallow Phaturator

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:08 pm

Ha! @GMaq, your first response in this thread made me feel like you were saying "No vacancy! We already have too many plugins!" But now you're totally on board with a new suite of effects that have silly names.

I didn't meant to imply that, I had just observed that (some) people get overwhelmed by mass amounts of Plugins regardless of quality.. I kind of have to offer everything because I want AV Linux to be easy to get started for all kinds of workflows and musical styles.

It is obvious the Calf Plugins are on borrowed time and I think it's an excellent idea to fork and improve at least some of them away from their GTK UI's and I think there are a handful of the classic LADSPA Plugin sets (now updated to GUI-less LV2) that also could get a new lease on life with a UI and also if they were available as VST's or CLAP.

Essentially what you did with your excellent Dragonfly set, take existing quality DSP and wrap it up in a functional and intuitive nice GUI and expand it's formats.. Yes we have too many of some Plugin types but I think refreshing some of this known-good stuff that is flirting with obsolescence is not gratuitously adding Plugins where there is no vacancy..

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:18 pm

What if the plugin name reported to the DAW consists of both the cutesy name and the functional purpose? For example, like this:

Maybe this is more of a DAW thing to implement, but I'd really like to see consistent categorization of plugins (more than just synth or effect). But if a DAW doesn't do that for whatever reason, I'd still like to be able to find a plugin in an alphabetically ordered list, so delay plugins i.m.o. should be named "delay - <developer> - <cutesy name>" or something like this.

And I have only a couple dozen plugins. I can't imagine how people with hundreds of plugins are supposed to find their desired plugin in a DAW.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Impostor wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:23 am

I'd still like to be able to find a plugin in an alphabetically ordered list, so delay plugins i.m.o. should be named "delay - <developer> - <cutesy name>" or something like this.

What DAW are you using? In Ardour, if I go to add a plugin and search for "reverb", I get anything that has reverb in the name (for example "Dragonfly Room Reverb"). I don't feel like reverb must be the first word in the plugin name. Am I missing something here?

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Ardour provide as well the menu point insert plugin -> by keyword. Looking for a reverb? select the reverb keyword from the list and you get all reverb plugs. Reaper provide similar service. Fast and easy.

On the road again.
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Michael Willis wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:42 pm
Impostor wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:23 am

I'd still like to be able to find a plugin in an alphabetically ordered list, so delay plugins i.m.o. should be named "delay - <developer> - <cutesy name>" or something like this.

What DAW are you using? In Ardour, if I go to add a plugin and search for "reverb", I get anything that has reverb in the name (for example "Dragonfly Room Reverb"). I don't feel like reverb must be the first word in the plugin name. Am I missing something here?

Well yeah, a search works too, as long as the keyword is present in the name. I personally still prefer ordered lists though.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

So I could name it Revenant Lich Vampire Convention and then it would show up right along in alphabetic order with the other plugins that start with "Reverb ..."

In fact, it would alphabetically arrive in front of all the other reverbs and as such people would be more likely to click on it and then my evil plot to unleash an invasion of undead reverb would come to full fruition.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Michael Willis wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:50 pm

So I could name it Revenant Lich Vampire Convention ...

Which reminds me of a question I haven't yet asked: is there a way for a user to rename plugins?

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Impostor wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:30 pm

Which reminds me of a question I haven't yet asked: is there a way for a user to rename plugins?

Sure, if you have the source code. Just modify it and recompile. Free as in freedom fries.