Better lowlatency kernel one version lower than generic?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

didgewind
Established Member

Better lowlatency kernel one version lower than generic?

Post by didgewind »

Hi, I normally use lowlatency kernel for my music setup. Right now I've got generic 6.2 and lowlatency 5.15 images installed, and I am not sure which one should be better. I'd go for the lowlatency one, but one major version can make a difference, right?

Any help with this?

xxx

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Re: Better lowlatency kernel one version lower than generic?

Post by Audiojunkie »

didgewind wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:26 pm

Hi, I normally use lowlatency kernel for my music setup. Right now I've got generic 6.2 and lowlatency 5.15 images installed, and I am not sure which one should be better. I'd go for the lowlatency one, but one major version can make a difference, right?

Any help with this?

xxx

Maybe someone knows better than me, but my understanding, is that the generic kernel now uses a high frequency timer, so we don't have to worry about the old days of compiling a timer to run at 1000Hz. In addition, the generic kernel has almost all of the RT patches that would be in a normal real time kernel, and they are activated by using the /preempt=full and /threadirqs kernel parameters in GRUB. I honestly don't know what more of a difference a "Low latency kernel" would have over what the generic offers these days.

matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

I had always been an advocate of low-latency kernels. But on my current machine, I'm using the generic kernel with pre-empt patches and it's working well. Now, I should mention that the kernel and patches were installed by default on my distro, as is a special scheduler that gives real-time priorities to audio apps, and this is running on a brand-new machine with a fast processor.

didgewind
Established Member

Post by didgewind »

Thanks both for the answers! :D