Fundraiser: Expediting Linux Support for Focusrite Scarlett 4th Gen Devices

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

geoffrey
Established Member

Re: Fundraiser: Expediting Linux Support for Focusrite Scarlett 4th Gen Devices

Post by geoffrey »

Exciting news ×2 today:

I've plugged the 4i4 in, put Focusrite Control 2 in a VM, connected the two together, and spent the weekend looking at pages of hex codes like this while playing with the controls to see what happens. It's good news! :). I've found that the Gen 4 protocol uses (at least mostly) the same set of primitive operations that the Gen 2/3 use. That means that support for the Gen 4 can be done as an extension to the existing Gen 2/3 driver and it's not going to be a from-scratch thing (big whew!).

Screenshot from 2023-09-17 19-58-48.png
Screenshot from 2023-09-17 19-58-48.png (169.42 KiB) Viewed 42774 times

Also, @zeiktuvai has donated a 4Pre to this project! As support for that interface was going to be a stretch goal, I've updated the fundraiser goal to include the other interfaces and edited the description to indicate where we're up to.

Thanks again to everyone for their support as I continue working on this!

Here's the status:

• Solo 4th Gen: will purchase this next if sufficient donations are received

• 2i2 4th Gen: ✅ have this, working on it next

• 4i4 4th Gen: ✅ have this, working on it now

• Clarett+ 4Pre: ✅ thanks to zeiktuvai, will get this soon

After the above are complete, that leaves just these:

• Vocaster One

• Vocaster Two

• Clarett+ 2Pre

If you'd like to contribute to getting complete Linux support to these devices, please see the gofundme link in the first message of this thread. Thanks!

geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

Exciting news ×3 today:

• We've raised enough for all three 4th Gen devices! Further funds raised now will go towards the Vocaster One.
  • I added support for the Clarett+ 4Pre this evening. A bit more testing, then I'll share it with everyone.
  • 4i4 4th Gen support is proceeding & can view/edit the routing now. This is the default routing that Focusrite Control uses, as presented by alsa-scarlett-gui:
4i4-gen4-routing.png
4i4-gen4-routing.png (115.49 KiB) Viewed 42713 times
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

I'm excited to share the first tangible output from the fundraiser now — support for the Clarett+ 4Pre! The driver is available for testing here: https://github.com/geoffreybennett/scar ... g/v6.5.3c1

You can control it with an updated version of alsa-scarlett-gui, available here: https://github.com/geoffreybennett/alsa-scarlett-gui/

I'll submit the driver upstream as soon as I receive confirmation that it's working well for others too.

And on the 4i4 Gen 4... I've decoded most of the controls, so now it's down to what we affectionately call a "simple matter of programming". Actually, the hard bit is refactoring, extending the driver to support what will hopefully soon be 17 different models each with its own set of unique features.

Thank you all for your continued support!

clarett-4pre-alsa-scarlett-gui.png
clarett-4pre-alsa-scarlett-gui.png (136.68 KiB) Viewed 42639 times
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

More progress this weekend:

• Decoded almost the entirety (🤞) of the Solo, 2i2, and 4i4 Gen 4 protocol, including how to turn on/off MSD mode (this was a bit of an achievement — Focusrite support says you can't turn it back on once you've turned it off, but that's not true 😉)

• Added support for the Clarett+ 2Pre; will hold off on submission of the 4Pre support until I get confirmation that the 2Pre support is working as well & I'll submit them together

• Worked on refactoring the existing driver to make way for the changes needed for the Gen 4 protocol

If you have any Scarlett Gen 4, or 2Pre or 4Pre Clarett USB, or Clarett+ 2Pre, please email me if you'd like to help test pre-release versions.

geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

A massive thank you to everyone here! ❤️ I've ended the GoFundMe campaign now because every goal of the fundraiser has been reached! Very soon, there will be Linux support for the proprietary controls in every model of the Focusrite Scarlett Gen 1–4, Vocaster, Clarett USB, and Clarett+ series.

• Scarlett Gen 4: I've got all the hardware, and am working on the driver

• Vocaster: Hardware is on the way

• Clarett USB and Clarett+: 100% done; support for all models has been added to the driver & submitted upstream

If you still wish to contribute or express your appreciation for the work, please see https://github.com/geoffreybennett/alsa ... #donations.

As the fundraiser has ended, there won't be many more updates on this thread. I'll put further tech updates on this project over in the Computer Related Hardware Forum.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

geoffrey wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:36 pm

A massive thank you to everyone here! ❤️ I've ended the GoFundMe campaign now because every goal of the fundraiser has been reached! Very soon, there will be Linux support for the proprietary controls in every model of the Focusrite Scarlett Gen 1–4, Vocaster, Clarett USB, and Clarett+ series.

• Scarlett Gen 4: I've got all the hardware, and am working on the driver

• Vocaster: Hardware is on the way

• Clarett USB and Clarett+: 100% done; support for all models has been added to the driver & submitted upstream

If you still wish to contribute or express your appreciation for the work, please see https://github.com/geoffreybennett/alsa ... #donations.

As the fundraiser has ended, there won't be many more updates on this thread. I'll put further tech updates on this project over in the Computer Related Hardware Forum.

It would be great if you could post the kernel versions where your work is included after it went into the mainstream kernels.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

bluebell wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:49 am

It would be great if you could post the kernel versions where your work is included after it went into the mainstream kernels.

Will do. Besides announcing it in a thread on LinuxMusicians, I'm also keeping track of that info here: https://github.com/geoffreybennett/alsa ... -gui#about

geoffrey
Established Member

Exciting and Final Update to the GoFundMe!

Post by geoffrey »

Hi everyone,

Six days ago, we hit our GoFundMe target thanks to a generous pledge for the final devices. Now, I’m thrilled to share something even more extraordinary:

• The final pledge was made by Focusrite themselves!

While I had previously struggled to connect with the engineers or management at Focusrite, news of the overwhelming response to this fundraiser reached the top tiers there. Given the niche nature of Linux audio, I had kept my expectations in check, but this was beyond what I had imagined.

I just got off a call with them where, beyond providing the hardware, they were inquiring about other ways they could support the development.

Focusrite not only offered to send me any devices I didn't have in my collection but also proposed that for any future product releases, they will do their utmost to send me devices in advance. This means that Linux support could be ready right from the product launch!

Furthermore, they are discussing how their engineering team could better help me to streamline the development process, and eliminate much of the guesswork.

Here's where the brilliance of your support shines: your contributions did more than just fund devices — they catapulted the visibility of this work into the spotlight, catching the attention of Focusrite and reinforcing the value and demand of the Linux community. Your support was instrumental in elevating the profile and urgency of this work, impacting not only this project but potentially shaping future interactions between device manufacturers and the Linux community!

This is monumental for both the Linux community and Focusrite device support, illustrating what we can achieve together. Every dollar, share, and word of encouragement played a role in crafting this success story. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for making it possible!

Best Regards,
Geoffrey.

martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

Wow, these are amazing news! I was already considering getting a 2nd hand Focusrite interface, but now I maybe just get a brand new one.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

This is quite astonishing. Although I haven't been able to add to the funding myself, I certainly will be spreading the news.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Awesome news! And awesome job you've pulled off here, not only code wise but also communication wise, hats off! I will definitely reconsider getting a Focusrite device when the time arrives I'll need another audio interface. Had good experience with them in the past.
This strengthens my belief that more and more people doing things with audio are starting to consider Linux as a viable option. The effort showcased here will definitely be of help of further strengthening the image of Linux as a worthy alternative. Many thanks!

grawlinson

Post by grawlinson »

I’ve had a 3rd gen Focusrite device for a while and this project has been a huge boon. The fact that Focusrite themselves have communicated with you in a positive manner is really good news for everyone!

(I maintain the package for this project on Arch Linux so I am a bit biased!)

a.d.
Established Member

Post by a.d. »

Thanks for all of your efforts @geoffrey. I'm a happy owner of a second generation 2i2 and because of your work I'll likely buy a new Scarlett when the time comes.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@geoffrey

Super news! I'm still holding on to my gen1 18i20 for the moment, and had been considering various options to replace it should the dreaded day arrive. I've been pleased with their hardware since I first bought a gen1 2i2, but was worried that the burden (on you, mostly) of keeping up with new releases would make their newer hardware less attractive over time: I can pretty well confirm that your news today means that Focusrite have jumped right back to the top of the list for me.

Please pass along our heartfelt appreciation in any future communication you have with Focusrite,

Tres.

P.s.: I wonder how much Presonus' release of StudioOne for Linux might have to do with this development.... Perhaps, as with the Auburn Sounds thread ongoing this week, they are all signs of a gradual increase in market share for Linux music makers?

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Kirtai
Established Member

Post by Kirtai »

Very nice. I was looking into a new audio interface and had rejected Focusrite because of driver stuff.
This majorly changes things :)