What videogame are you playing?

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Impostor
Established Member

What videogame are you playing?

Post by Impostor »

Seems like a legitimate question. There are gamers here after all.

When I switched to Linux in 2020 I feared I had to abandon a large part of my game library (Getting rid of Windows was my sole reason for switching to Linux, so dual booting wasn't a permanent option). But in fact I am amazed at the amount of Windows games that do work on Linux, both old and new. Not in small part thanks to Valve. Thanks Valve!

After playing Serious Sam 4 (meh) and Serious Sam Siberian Mayhem (yes!) I'm now (re)playing Serious Sam 2. I just couldn't play a "serious" game after Serious Sam.

d.healey
Established Member

Re: What videogame are you playing?

Post by d.healey »

I don't really play games these days but when I do it tends to be multiplayer games like 0ad, Open RA, ET legacy, Haven and Hearth. There's a really old game (I think it was originally for Amiga) called Knights which I enjoy (https://www.knightsgame.org.uk/).

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Rocksmith is only game I play.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

juki
Established Member

Post by juki »

I don't play that often but when it happens i always play the same games since about 10 years. Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

I also don't play often, but keep coming back to Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2012 version). I've tried the more recent Need For Speed: Heat but my 8 year old computer is not up to running it effectively.

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

I was playing black mesa earlier today. It's such a well done remake of the classic half life. Very fun. 😃

-Matt :D

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

MattKingUSA wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:07 am

I was playing black mesa earlier today. It's such a well done remake of the classic half life. Very fun. 😃

Absolutely! On the one hand, with remakes, I think what's the point, if the original is already great? On the other hand, a remake can surpass the original (visually obviously, but also gameplaywise). I'll definitely be playing the remakes of The Witcher and Dead Space sometime in the future, even though I don't think the originals are flawed in any way.

semiletov
Established Member

Post by semiletov »

Fallout 2 (via Fallout.2 CE), Baldur's Gate 2, NES and Sega Megadrive games on hardware consoles, and Blood via Dosbox. Also, Doom 3 )

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

semiletov wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:27 pm

Fallout 2 (via Fallout.2 CE), Baldur's Gate 2, NES and Sega Megadrive games on hardware consoles, and Blood via Dosbox. Also, Doom 3 )

I really suck at those Sega games. I have a couple on Steam: Comix Zone, and Vector Man 1&2. I never get past the first couple of screens :)

Doom 3 is great. I love the tension that the lack of duct tape brings. (In the original. The BFG edition "fixes" this.)

Locynaeh
Established Member

Post by Locynaeh »

For those interested in gaming on Linux, beside Steam using Proton (a Wine fork), lots of games are usable with an amount of compatibility tools (and it was already the case before Proton).
I especially like the not well-known ./play.it which allows to create classic distribution package based on a DRM-free only installer and these compatibility tools. The community around it is really cool and open.

I also bought a generic handheld console to mostly do retrogaming. I use it with Just Enough Linux Operating System (JELOS) and it works really well.

These days I play mostly Minecraft (native, launcher for FlatHub), Don't Starve Together (native through Steam), The Binding of Isaac (through ./play.it) and a few old JRPG like Pokemon Emerald (gen 3, really good music) or Final Fantasy VI (through JELOS and RetroArch).

peter.semiletov
Established Member

Post by peter.semiletov »

Impostor wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:04 pm

I really suck at those Sega games. I have a couple on Steam: Comix Zone, and Vector Man 1&2. I never get past the first couple of screens :)

Why Steam? Take Mednafen (great emulator for all), some game ROMs and play good old console games :)
I personally more a 8 bit NES fan, from the ninetees (at post-USSR, NES era started later than in other countries). With my brother and friends we played to the end the hardest games such as Battle Toads - now It seems impossible for me! Friday 13, Nemo, all Capcom games such as Duck Tales, Castlevania! We played at black/white TVs, but it was more fun for me that all modern games :) Thats why I'm still playing on NES.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

After Overload: First Strike, I'm now playing Doom 3.

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

I recently completed Metro Exodus. It's a pretty interesting game. It took me forever to figure out the gun mods and I didn't realize until I had finished the first game that you can mod items without a crafting table. lol I started a new game but lost interest. lol

-Matt :D

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Kind of the opposite of a video game, but I've been playing The Lurking Horror, a Lovecraftian Infocom text adventure from the 80s. I tried to play it as a kid, when it was more or less current, but it was way over my head then.

I'm not playing it on Linux... at least not on my computer. I was playing it in Termux on my phone, but the text-adventure program*, Frotz, had some annoying glitches, so now I'm playing it in an "app" I downloaded from F-Droid. It's also playable on DOSBOX.

*To clarify...Termux is a terminal emulator for Android. Frotz is a command-line program for Termux that is used for playing text adventure games of a specific file type. Lurking Horror is one game of many that use that file type.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

MattKingUSA wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:02 pm

I recently completed Metro Exodus. It's a pretty interesting game. It took me forever to figure out the gun mods and I didn't realize until I had finished the first game that you can mod items without a crafting table. lol I started a new game but lost interest. lol

Good to know. I still have that game in the backlog.