MusE has probs loading synths, saving sliders

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Impostor
Established Member

Re: MusE has probs loading synths, saving sliders

Post by Impostor »

Tutorius wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:00 pm

I have problems loading a song again, the synths (surge-synths, but also MDA-E-Piano and Odin2 had problems) create noise, the edit-state of the surge-patch is changed to "changed/edited", other settings were not saved or loaded.

Does Odin2 have presets that don't load correctly on reloading a project? Or are your custom settings not reloaded? I haven't yet found a problem with this synth.

Tutorius
Established Member

Post by Tutorius »

Some days ago the loading (or last saving) of a song destroyed a Odin2-setup inside one song. Allmost all sliders were changed extremly (glide to maximum, ADSR-values all to zero, and much more). I had not saved the song on an other file, so i needed to rebuild the odin-setup.
On the MDA E-Piano LV2 it was also done one or two times. One time the slider for "Random Tuning" was pulled to maximum, untuned sound was the result.

Its not that often, but it happens.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tutorius wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:50 am

Some days ago the loading (or last saving) of a song destroyed a Odin2-setup inside one song. Allmost all sliders were changed extremly (glide to maximum, ADSR-values all to zero, and much more). I had not saved the song on an other file, so i needed to rebuild the odin-setup.
On the MDA E-Piano LV2 it was also done one or two times. One time the slider for "Random Tuning" was pulled to maximum, untuned sound was the result.

When such a thing happens again, I'd immediately quit MusE without saving, and make a backup of the .med file before attempting to fix it. Because if the problem happens randomly with loading the plugin state, your .med file may still contain the correct data after all.

Tutorius
Established Member

Post by Tutorius »

Impostor wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:11 am
Tutorius wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:50 am

When such a thing happens again, I'd immediately quit MusE without saving, and make a backup of the .med file before attempting to fix it. Because if the problem happens randomly with loading the plugin state, your .med file may still contain the correct data after all.

Today i know this, some days ago i was surpised by that. I will create more backup-files in the future, with numers or dates to sort them...

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tutorius wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:15 am

Today i know this, some days ago i was surpised by that. I will create more backup-files in the future, with numers or dates to sort them...

Another thing you can do for troublesome LV2 plugins like Surge, is make a preset for it in the following way: right-click its icon in its track, select "presets" > "save preset..", give it a name. When on loading the sliders changed (as happens here every time), just go to the same menu and load the preset from there. That works fine.

The resulting presets can be found in ~/.lv2/

Attachments
preset.png
preset.png (22.38 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Tutorius
Established Member

Post by Tutorius »

My problem is that the sliders for audio-groups are not saved, the synths is the next thing to care about... The sliders of synths is somehow more complicated, the sliders of audio-groups seems to be a easier task...

When i have a look at the saved file, i find this part here: (One of the audio-groups)

Code: Select all

<AudioGroup>
      <name>BAS-REV</name>
      <record>0</record>
      <mute>0</mute>
      <solo>0</solo>
      <off>0</off>
      <channels>2</channels>
      <height>24</height>
      <locked>0</locked>
      <recMonitor>0</recMonitor>
      <prefader>0</prefader>
      <sendMetronome>0</sendMetronome>
      <automation>0</automation>
      <gain>1</gain>
      <controller id="0" cur="1" color="#ff0000" visible="0">
        </controller>
      <controller id="1" cur="0" color="#ffff00" visible="0">
        </controller>
      <controller id="2" cur="0" color="#0000ff" visible="0">
        </controller>
      </AudioGroup>

What part is the volume of the audio-grou named BAS-REV? Is it gain? ( <gain>1</gain> )

Gain is set to one for all Audio-Groups.
I am not ure if these gains have ever been saved.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tutorius wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:05 pm

<controller id="0" cur="1" color="#ff0000" visible="0">
</controller>

What part is the volume of the audio-grou named BAS-REV?

It's probably the above. Easy to find out: save project, rename the .med file, change slider, save again. Now in terminal do

Code: Select all

diff file1 file2 

cur="1" is its value. Coincides with 0dB. Color and visibility refer to this parameter's automation graph. Now, if diff gives no output, then the change hasn't been saved indeed.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

the synths is the next thing to care about...

Since it's Surge XT LV2 which misbehaves, I just built the VST2 version from github (get your VST2 sdk from internet archive). As far as I can see, this VST2 version behaves fine:

(**)With VST2 plugins, you can also create a Muse-native preset via "show generic GUI". That preset is saved in the project folder.

So I loaded Drone Bee, saved the project, saved Surge's state as a generic GUI preset, reloaded the project, opened native GUI, noticed the asterix next to the preset's name as if it has been modified, saved Surge's state again as a generic GUI preset, and compared the files with diff: No difference.

So my advice would be to ditch(*) the LV2 version, and use the VST2 version.

(*)Edit: I just built the LV2 version from github too, and this version also works correctly. Their latest downloadable LV2 does not work correctly here, though.

(**)Forget it: creating presets via the generic GUI does not work correctly, so the diff results here are meaningless. But, result still stands: both LV2 and VST built from github work correctly afaik.

spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

What part is the volume of the audio-grou named BAS-REV? Is it gain? ( <gain>1</gain> )

<gain> is the little field above the slider in the mixer strip, it's for compensating the gain on a whole track. If there is automation for instance, it gets very tedious to use the volume slider.

Regarding the topic (sorry it's late and I didn't read all the comments), I just wanted to chime in that the current master can't restore parameters for Calf Equalizer 8 Band LV2 (and probably many others) on my system. Maybe it is a related regression.

MusE DAW
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

spamatica wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:11 pm

I just wanted to chime in that the current master can't restore parameters for Calf Equalizer 8 Band LV2 (and probably many others) on my system. Maybe it is a related regression.

Tested here (MusE latest build, Calf from kx), but I get no problems with any Calf effects afaik. The only issue I have is when saving with an open GUI, the (EQ) graph is not correctly displayed when the GUI is automatically opened on reloading. Closing and reopening the GUI solves this.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

My problem is that the sliders for audio-groups are not saved [..]

You could try enabling automation, and creating an automation point for the track volume in the arranger. See if that works to keep your settings.

Adjusting the track's volume now must be done either with "gain" in the mixer strip, or by adjusting the automation point in the automation graph.

Attachments
Auto.png
Auto.png (10.14 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
Create.png
Create.png (19.38 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

"Hello wonderful person!" - Anton Petrov

This thread has developed more loose fibers than an old shirt.
There seem to be several things going on at once.

Thanks very much for all the tests!
@Tutorius Thank you for the detailed video.
But your posted .med file (which I would like to see) is not downloadable.
My browser says the download is tagged as a questionable site.
Please try again with something like DropBox or just post the file contents here.

Surge LV2:
My tests indicate that the observed issues are a Surge problem. See my report:
https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/7188

Other LV2:
I could not observe any problems at all with the other reports.
Please post song files and terminal output and pictures of what should happen.

Audio Group Tracks:
I could not find any problem. I need song files and terminal output.
If there is something wrong there, it might be locale related.
But I doubt it since that's all been rewritten several times now.

VST:
I have not tested them yet. I am out of time for now. I've already wasted a few dozen hours on all of this.
I'll try later.

Thanks.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tim E. Real wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:03 pm

Surge LV2:
My tests indicate that the observed issues are a Surge problem. See my report:
https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/7188

Yeah, they note issues with Juce 6. I wonder whether there's an easy way for a user to determine if a (LV2) plugin has been built with Juce 6. Any issues with those then need not be reported as possible DAW bugs.

Tim E. Real wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:03 pm

VST: I have not tested them yet. I am out of time for now. I've already wasted a few dozen hours on all of this. I'll try later.

Don't waste your time with my OB-Xd report. It misbehaves (wrt voice numbers) in the same way in MusE, Qtractor, and Renoise. I'll just blame OB-Xd itself.

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hopefully there is a healing path forward with Juce 7 and its official LV2 support.

The reason why this caused problems for MusE is that 'our records' which I spoke of in the report
refers to our local record of what the on screen native GUI controls show.
These 'local records' are what is actually saved in the song file.
It is crucial that the local records match what is on the screen, especially after a program change.
Here, that mechanism was broken.
Thus, what was saved in the song file did not match on screen. Older stale values were stored.
When reloading, control values were restored with these older stale invalid values.

Also, our 'local records' are what is shown in the audio automation graphs and our generic plugin UI.
You'll notice that neither of them update with new values when a new program is selected in Surge.
In at least MusE's case, it is important that all this stuff works correctly.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Impostor wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:44 pm
Tutorius wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:00 pm

I have problems loading a song again, the synths (surge-synths, but also MDA-E-Piano and Odin2 had problems) create noise, the edit-state of the surge-patch is changed to "changed/edited", other settings were not saved or loaded.

Does Odin2 have presets that don't load correctly on reloading a project? I haven't yet found a problem with this synth.

Odin2 lv2 certainly has problems. I built the github version, which also uses Juce 6 like the buggy Surge lv2, which may or may not be relevant.

Load for example the preset "leads"-"karpius lead". If you now drag the dot inside the VectorOsc around, you may notice all kinds of dials in other sections moving around too willy-nilly, even though these controls are not coupled via the modulation matrix (also they not always move around, just sometimes).