Guitarix presets inside DAW?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

iheartqtracto
Established Member

Guitarix presets inside DAW?

Post by iheartqtracto »

Dumb question...

When I open Guitarix as a stand-alone program outside of my DAW, I'm able to easily click a preset, play a few notes, and hear how it sounds.

Am I able to do the same thing inside my DAW so that I can record a part and then apply different presets to the recording to hear how it sounds?

Seems like the only way to use Guitarix inside a DAW is to stack the individual effects, cabinets, etc., manually to create a sound. But maybe I'm missing something?

Is there a way to use the standalone program inside my DAW so that I can use the one-click preset function AFTER I've recorded a part?

Thanks!!

tramp
Established Member

Re: Guitarix presets inside DAW?

Post by tramp »

iheartqtracto wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:56 pm

Is there a way to use the standalone program inside my DAW so that I can use the one-click preset function AFTER I've recorded a part?

You could use the vst3 wrapper for guitarix. Ready to use binary bundle and source code you find here:
https://github.com/brummer10/guitarix.vst

On the road again.
iheartqtracto
Established Member

Post by iheartqtracto »

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

For some reason the effects drop out during playback after a minute or two. Not sure why it's doing that.

Also, I see an abbreviated list of presets. Seems like the standalone Guitarix app has more presets available. Looks like I should be able to download more by clicking the "Online" button within the VST3 plugin, but for some reason that doesn't do anything.

Any ideas?

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

iheartqtracto wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:48 pm

For some reason the effects drop out during playback after a minute or two. Not sure why it's doing that.

The jcm800pre is known to have some issues, could it be that one that drops out?

Also, I see an abbreviated list of presets.

The vst3 version drop the factory presets, so the preset list only contain your own presets.

Looks like I should be able to download more by clicking the "Online" button within the VST3 plugin, but for some reason that doesn't do anything.

Yes, usually that should simple work. If you use the prebuild binary it may be that you miss a dependency, in case of the online preset downloader it is
libcurl3-gnutls
check if you've installed that library.

On the road again.
iheartqtracto
Established Member

Post by iheartqtracto »

Looks like the online button malfunction may have just been a temporary glitch. It's working fine now.

I bet it was the JMC800PRE that was dropping out... I messed around with a few presets and made sure to change that setting if it got turned on and I didn't have the same issue.

Just to make sure I installed this correctly: All I did was unzip the file and then drop the VST folder in my .vst3 home folder.

I wasn't sure about some of the lingo in the GitHub instructions, so that's all I did. Should I maybe go through that list of Debian dependencies and make sure I have them all installed?

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

iheartqtracto wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:53 pm

Looks like the online button malfunction may have just been a temporary glitch. It's working fine now.

Great, nice to hear.

I bet it was the JMC800PRE that was dropping out... I messed around with a few presets and made sure to change that setting if it got turned on and I didn't have the same issue.

I may need to remove the jcm800pre from the plugin list.

Just to make sure I installed this correctly: All I did was unzip the file and then drop the VST folder in my .vst3 home folder.

Yes, that's it.

wasn't sure about some of the lingo in the GitHub instructions, so that's all I did. Should I maybe go through that list of Debian dependencies and make sure I have them all installed?

When you've installed guitarix from your package manager you should have all dependencies installed already. The vst3 wrapper didn't introduce any new ones.

On the road again.
iheartqtracto
Established Member

Post by iheartqtracto »

Excellent. Thanks again for your help!

This is a game changer.