Sofia Woodwinds

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

alex stone
Established Member

Sofia Woodwinds

Post by alex stone »

Is anyone using this plugin, and if so, what's your opinion of it? The demos sound decent and warmly organic. It mentions being able to run on Linux.

https://librewave.com/product/sofia-woodwinds/

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Sofia Woodwinds

Post by tavasti »

I think maker is some member of this forum, but I don't remember who :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Hi Alex,

Well I'm biased but I think it's a good library :)

Actually I was going to take it off sale and rework it because it hasn't been a big seller for me and in the years since I released it I've made some huge improvements in my legato systems and other areas. If you don't mind a proprietary sample library and you have Kontakt I recommend you check out Infinite Woodwinds.

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

d.healey wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:31 pm

Hi Alex,

Well I'm biased but I think it's a good library :)

Actually I was going to take it off sale and rework it because it hasn't been a big seller for me and in the years since I released it I've made some huge improvements in my legato systems and other areas. If you don't mind a proprietary sample library and you have Kontakt I recommend you check out Infinite Woodwinds.

Hi David,

I gave up on Kontakt/wine a long time ago. Now it's just my reasonably large collection of gig libraries and linuxsampler, with a few additions here and there. If it isn't native linux, i'm not that interested.

I'm impressed with the organic nature of the sofia samples. I've got two big sample libs that have been built and curated (I guess because it's more profitable) along the lines of hollywood "trailer music". (although my Sonic Implants Symphonic Collection is more expressive than most)
And woodwinds is one of those sections that usually get balanced to death, so the expression and humanity is often the first to go.

Your lib is a pleasant surprise, and certainly one of the most....human i've heard.

Nice work.

Alex.

p.s. I'm listening at the moment. The flutes are really expressive and sweet, without being corny.

p.p.s How far along are you with the brass?

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Thanks Alex, I'm glad you like the sound of them. I think the clarinets are particularly good.

The brass is complete, has been for about a year (actually there is a bug I need to fix, but it's 99.9% ready). I'm reluctant to release it though because of the poor sales of Sofia Woodwinds and I'm not totally happy with the sound. I'm also not sure I'm going to do the strings at this point, although I've already recorded some of them, and some of the percussion too but I think they might go into other libraries.

I've just recorded a little demo of it and actually now I'm listening with fresh ears it's better than I thought it was.

Excuse my crappy keyboard skills:
https://youtu.be/dQuqCnxmfko

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

d.healey wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:07 pm

Thanks Alex, I'm glad you like the sound of them. I think the clarinets are particularly good.

The brass is complete, has been for about a year (actually there is a bug I need to fix, but it's 99.9% ready). I'm reluctant to release it though because of the poor sales of Sofia Woodwinds and I'm not totally happy with the sound. I'm also not sure I'm going to do the strings at this point, although I've already recorded some of them, and some of the percussion too but I think they might go into other libraries.

I've just recorded a little demo of it and actually now I'm listening with fresh ears it's better than I thought it was.

Excuse my crappy keyboard skills:
https://youtu.be/dQuqCnxmfko

Brass sounds ok too. I'm extremely critical of french horns in sample libs, probably as a result of sitting in front of them for a few years. It's good to hear an expressive horn that isn't blowing the roof off the cowshed.

Alex.