Using DAW-buttons on a midi-keyboard

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: Using DAW-buttons on a midi-keyboard

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hi. Just a teaser to fend off disappointment:
I'm working on this. I hoped to have it sooner but there were, as usual, complications requiring some thought.

All settings in the midi remote dialog box will have port and channel, with 'learn' buttons.
You can choose 'any' port or channel (as it is now) or a single specific port and channel.
(Sorry, no multiple specific connections like our routing system. See below.)
In addition, there will be a 'value type' (trigger, momentary, toggle) for settings that need it (transport record etc.).

Hopefully I can get this done, barring any brick walls I might encounter.

I mentioned I was pondering whether the step record should instead take its input from the actual routes connected to a track.
But in the end this was not desirable. Routes are what is recorded to a track when recording. Using those same routes
for step recording would interfere and record unwanted notes that were not recognized as remote functions.
So the remote really does require its own separate 'routing' system.
But just like our midi-to-audio controller assignment dialog, a complete separate multiple routing system would be much too complicated.
So we'll allow only one specific port and channel.
(Ironically, IIRC my midi-to-audio assignment framework DOES actually support multiple routes, but implementing them
with graphics and controls user support and so on, would be complicated - and hopefully not really necessary so far.)

If you can think of any other functions that might benefit from remote capability, now's the time to speak up.
I can try to include them. Hey - be reasonable. :wink:

Tutorius
Established Member

Post by Tutorius »

Impostor wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:43 pm

Would it matter? My keyboard also has two ports, one for notes, volume, modulation, and pitch bend, and another for the transport button data. But I merge these ports into a single midi through port before feeding it into MusE (because reasons).

My keyboard sends note-on/off-signals. So i can transpose my keyboard to a high octave and it stops and starts while playing some notes :) So it is not useable for me...

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tutorius wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:31 am
Impostor wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:43 pm

Would it matter? My keyboard also has two ports, one for notes, volume, modulation, and pitch bend, and another for the transport button data. But I merge these ports into a single midi through port before feeding it into MusE (because reasons).

My keyboard sends note-on/off-signals. So i can transpose my keyboard to a high octave and it stops and starts while playing some notes :) So it is not useable for me...

Then you have activated remote control by notes. You should disable that then, and use cc.

Or, if you want remote control by playing certain notes, yes, then you affect the transport when playing them (obviously).

If your keyboard sends all note data through Port 1, and transport button data through Port 2, then with remote control by notes, Port 2 is simply irrelevant. Even if you could tell MusE what port to listen to for remote control, if you set it to Port 2 it simply wouldn't work, since Port 1 is the port over which your keyboard sends all note messages.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tim E. Real wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:13 am

Hi. Just a teaser to fend off disappointment:
I'm working on this. I hoped to have it sooner but there were, as usual, complications requiring some thought.
In addition, there will be a 'value type' (trigger, momentary, toggle) for settings that need it (transport record etc.).

Just now I have it all correctly working via Input Transform. Only (rather large) drawback of this is that these settings are not global, but project specific. I have to start new projects from a template where the Input Transform settings have been set up. Existing projects, it all needs to be set up in each and every one. If I even used the transport buttons.. which I don't :)

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

@Impostor I wonder if you have tried saving the song as a template.
When you want to start a new song, load the template.
Would that help your situation?

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tim E. Real wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:44 pm

@Impostor I wonder if you have tried saving the song as a template.
When you want to start a new song, load the template.
Would that help your situation?

Yes it would.

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

OK folks, finally finished the redesign of the midi remote control dialog.
Hope it helps.
See the announcement here:
viewtopic.php?t=26133