Running LV2 plugins in Carla on Windows11?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

LinMusGuy
Established Member

Running LV2 plugins in Carla on Windows11?

Post by LinMusGuy »

I'm looking for a way to run Linux LV2 plugins on Windows11. So is it possible to run Linux LV2 plugins in Carla on Windows11? Or are there some dependencies that have to be taken care of first. I tried but didn't have much success...

tramp
Established Member

Re: Running LV2 plugins in Carla on Windows11?

Post by tramp »

You can't run Linux plugs in Windows. You need LV2 plugs build for Windows.Gxplugins Provide Windows builds here.
https://github.com/brummer10/GxPlugins.lv2

On the road again.
LinMusGuy
Established Member

Post by LinMusGuy »

Thank you very much. Looks like I was trying to achieve the impossible. ;-)

Is there a simple app that can build a given LV2 plugin for Windows so that it can subsequently be opened in the Windows version of Carla?

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

What exactly plugins do you want?

LinMusGuy
Established Member

Post by LinMusGuy »

I want to make my own experimental Linux LV2 plugins available for Windows users.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

And how do you make/build your own plugin?

PS. I think I know viewtopic.php?t=25555

LinMusGuy
Established Member

Post by LinMusGuy »

Writing in Faust and exporting as LV2 by means of the online Faust IDE, and then adding a GUI by means of XUiDesigner.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

LinMusGuy,

Before the above guys can tell you whether it's possible to for you to "create" a Windows version of a plugin from the linux version, they need certain additional information (that you haven't given them yet). Now, there are 2 ways they can get this additional information:

1) They can ask you numerous, very technical questions about the plugin. For example, they could ask you "What computer programming language is the plugin written in?", or "Does the plugin use a framework that is available on both Windows and Linux?", etc. These are questions you could probably answer if you were yourself a software developer. But if you're not, then it's very likely they will ultimately have to proceed to this other way to get that information:

2) They can ask you the name of the plugin. And of course, you know this, so you tell them. They will then do a google search and find a site where that plugin's documentation and source code is available. They will peruse those materials to glean the info they need, and come back here to give you an definitive answer to your question.

Obviously, approach #2 is going to work better if you're not a developer. The above guys have made an assumption that you're not a developer because you asked a very simple, non-technical question that could, and likely would, have been asked by someone who wasn't a dev. So they've skipped approach #1 and jumped to #2 to save time.

Assume you had instead asked the following:

"I'm trying to compile this JUCE-based plugin to create a Win64 target, and I'm getting an error message about a missing header file. Anyone have any idea what's wrong".

Then the guys would have assumed you were a developer. You've probably guessed these guys would then immediately take approach #2.

You'd be half correct. First, they would glance around the room. If there were other people present, then they would take approach #2.

But if you were the only other person in the room, they would shed their their human imitation skins to reveal their alien lizard bodies below, a dozen lizard tongues would dart out, and you would be ripped apart as their next meal. You're not by yourself, are you?

While the rest of us are waiting to see if LinMusGuy is consumed, we may as well conduct a wager to predict which alien will return with the answer first. I'm betting on tramp. Sorry Kott, nothing personal. But it's tramp.

Still, i reserve the right to change my bet if rncbc shows up. And if sadko4u arrives, I'm throwing you all under the bus. I don't care if you're from NATO states. I'm going with the russian.

Last edited by j_e_f_f_g on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Damn it. He's a developer. Ruined the setup.

You got me good, lin. I was laughing when you replied "Thank you very much. Looks like I was trying to achieve the impossible." when they were asking you for the plugin name. Then you come out swinging with Faust.

Brilliant. I enjoyed that.

LinMusGuy
Established Member

Post by LinMusGuy »

I'm not a developer, and that's the reason I'm asking simple questions.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

If you're using Faust to create your own lv2 plugins, you officially qualify as a developer.

LinMusGuy
Established Member

Post by LinMusGuy »

I happen to like math and programming in Faust is like operating with functions and graphs, so that's why I get it. Things like C++ are beyond me.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

It doesn't matter that Faust is a higher level language than C++. It's still a programming language, and therefore the fact that you've used it to create something makes you a computer programmer (ie software developer). Welcome to the club. Here's your imitation human skin. (Yes! I got my use out of that setup!)

P.S. C++ is not beyond you. I have no doubt you can learn it.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@j_e_f_f_g

P.S. C++ is not beyond you. I have no doubt you can learn it.

Uhh, @LinMusGuy said:

I happen to like math and programming in Faust is like operating with functions and graphs, so that's why I get it.

The gulf between the two (Faust and C++) is pretty formidable. FWIW, I made a living back in 1995-200 ago as a C++ developer; today, I can't be bothered today to keep up with the latest-and-greatest developments to the language. Instead, in 1998 I found a higher-level language, Python (not quite so high-level / abstract as Faust), and have happily earned my living with it ever since.

OTOH, @j_e_f_f_g said:

If you're using Faust to create your own lv2 plugins, you officially qualify as a developer.

to which I can whole-heartedly add my own, "AMEN!"

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

tseaver wrote:

The gulf between the two (Faust and C++) is pretty formidable.

So? It's not rocket science. Today's bots are even programming, If he wants to learn it, he absolutely can.

Python

The syntax is ok, but it has one huge mistake -- indentation is significant. That's bad.

I prefer Rexx as an interpreted language. It's sort of like a simplified Python without objects.