Songs About the Hard Times

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

baconature
Established Member

Songs About the Hard Times

Post by baconature »

Hey out there in Linux land, I hope all is well within the group.

It was a hard winter for me, but have gotten through to the very next spring, where flowers shall be blooming soon, yet again.

I finished a new recording last week, my first that includes my playing banjo. It has been a fun road learning to play the 5 string, finally! I've had the thing for over 30 years but that drone string kept knocking me out, as in "that string is crazy," stopping me every time I tried. About a year ago, I found a great tutorial series on YouTube, that put the needed light upon my former inability to understand that, allowing me to overcome. I wrote this song in 2017, I think. It's folk on the verge of bluegrass I suppose. Thanks to some constructive criticism here, I changed my approach in mixing, and pushed the instruments back allowing the vocal to be more up front.

https://thomasepeterson.com/mp3/Songs_A ... _Times.mp3

Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Songs About the Hard Times

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, your song definitely has the 'opry' feel to it, which isn't usually part of music theory courses. Gotta have it, or don't even saddle up :wink: The banjo is nicely played, and well recorded, reminds me of a laid-back Alison Krauss vibe. (been listening to her concerts this week, what a band she drags around with her!) The thing that is disconcerting to me, is that it seems like the melody is missing. It sounded like the harmony parts keep wafting around and avoiding a single strong thematic melody. I think by doing it solo a bunch of times, that the melody you're after will emerge. Don't worry at all about harmonies until that strong central theme is carved in stone, and then let the harmonies fall in place, in the classic parts of the song.

Lyrically, I'd rather hear about surviving specific current hard times, than rehashing those famous names who sang about previous generations difficulties. Putting a new story of modern hard times would help keep an old theme fresh. Like Californians fleeing crazy taxes and regulations and moving to Tennessee, for example. (Assuming you'd rather have them head east, than north ;)
Cheers

baconature
Established Member

Re: Songs About the Hard Times

Post by baconature »

Hey there glowrak guy,

Sorry for the delayed response, I don't come here often in any case.

I appreciate your comments. I too know there is an issue with the vocal harmony, but figuring out which track is going off, now that is truly an issue presently. My time for music has vanished for the time being (Spring), but I shall likely take the time to sort through and amend the err, is likely to occur eventually. I agree with you about practice with the vocal tracks. I have not done enough repetition in singing that song to "know" each part solidly. I am just sensing it as I go and that is failing my ear. But my hearing isn't what it used to be either. Too much work on jet engines, eek or roaring maybe.

As to the theme, I am an old guy so the topic is rather in step with my age. I am really not into trends, nor do I pay much attention to what is current out in the world. But that I think is how old folks get. After all I am 70 now.

To all whom took the time to do so, thanks for listening.

Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music