01/22 - brand new song, first of the year

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pdechery
Established Member

01/22 - brand new song, first of the year

Post by pdechery »

Hi everybody,

It's been a long time and I hope you're all well.

I'd just finished a new song and did a video for it this time :-)

The song's named "01/22" and it's a little different from what I've done before.

It has a somewhat cold and electronic vibe, and it talks about some troubles our world's facing these times.

I guess most of you won't understand the lyrics, unfortunately, but I'll try to post a translation later in this thread.

But I think it's a great song anyway, so I invite you all to hear it: https://youtu.be/aTN91ZSvYSk

It's made with Ardour and Guitarix - specially the last one, which took me some time trying to figure a nice guitar tone for the solo.

I bought a MIDI Keyboard too, so I could find some enjoyement when doing the drum parts (made with the Black Pearl Drumkit plugin, btw).

If you like too, I'd redesigned my website and now you can browse through 12 chosen songs, in an album concept. Hope you could visit and like as well.

Check it at https://www.mundolunar.art.br/
I make music and you can listen here: https://www.mundolunar.art.br/
Basslint
Established Member

Re: 01/22 - brand new song, first of the year

Post by Basslint »

Nice song and sound! I liked the structure, the bridge and the solo. I also like your delivery while singing. Thanks for making the light shine in these times of darkness, indeed :(
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Really cool song, and interesting chord progression! The arpeggiated guitar gives me serious Heroes del Silencio vibes :mrgreen: I enjoyed the solo too, after the bossanova-y break. I do like the tones you came out with (both for the arpeggio and the solo). My only note would be for drums, that seem a bit too "robotic": not sure if the keyboard you got is (semi)weighted, but if not what may have happened is that all drum hits you played ended up having the same velocity, which eventually triggered the same samples; if so tweaking that ex-post may help make it more realistic.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Nice!
From a north European perspective it feels a bit odd. I like it :) Cool chord progression in the break, maybe it could have come a little sooner though? But I sometimes take my time before introducing chord changes too, so who am I to judge? : P

As for the lyrics, people sometimes comment on me often having lyrics in Swedish that they can't understand. I guess it's my time to comment that I don't understand Portuguese ;)

I like the mix. Trying to think of stuff you posted earlier (which I am afraid I may have missed quite a few), from what I can remember this is production-wise an improvement.

Thanks for sharing!
MusE DAW
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

Hi guys

Thanks a lot for listening and sharing your thoughts!

@spamatica , I have a paid account in Soundcloud and I mastered this track using their mastering tools. It got vastly improved. At least I think I can take some credit in the preset choice :-)

@Rainmak3r , So cool that you found that "bossa nova" sound in the middle of the song (the bridge). I've indeed used some chord progressions that came from brazilian music there. To me, it's natural to use them since I play a lot of MPB/Samba at home. It was the first time, thought, that I mixed that style in a song like that. I'm glad you notice it :-)
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

Basslint wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:44 am Nice song and sound! I liked the structure, the bridge and the solo. I also like your delivery while singing. Thanks for making the light shine in these times of darkness, indeed :(
I'm glad you liked it and thank you for encouraging me in my singing. I took a quieter style, almost meditative, in that song and I think it fits the "message" in the lyrics (which I'll be posting here in English soon).

Thanks!
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

Rainmak3r wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:17 pm My only note would be for drums, that seem a bit too "robotic": not sure if the keyboard you got is (semi)weighted, but if not what may have happened is that all drum hits you played ended up having the same velocity
Hi @Rainmak3r

You've guessed right. I think I even copy/paste the beats in some parts, instead of playing them in the keyboard like an actual instrument. The original idea was to do that, but in the middle of the working process maybe I've ended up copying and pasting beats, which resulted in this lack of dynamics.

This is something I'll seek to improve in future songs. Thanks for noting that.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Nice to see you here again with new music!

Great tune and I like the different parts, the chorused guitar is nice and bright and I really like how much you've used the toms on the Black Pearl kit. I think the vocals and drums could use a bit more definition in the mix and maybe a bit more kick drum. but all in all very good stuff! More please!
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

Hi @GMaq

Thanks for the encouragement! About the Black Pearl Drumkit it's the best tool I've found to this day to work with (in Linux at least, but I don't use nothing else). It would be great to have more variety of tones or drum kits, though.
Last edited by pdechery on Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
albert90
Established Member

Post by albert90 »

pdechery wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:50 pm Hi everybody,

It's been a long time and I hope you're all well.

I'd just finished a new song and did a video for it this time :-)

The song's named "01/22" and it's a little different from what I've done before.

It has a somewhat cold and electronic vibe, and it talks about some troubles our world's facing these times.

I guess most of you won't understand the lyrics, unfortunately, but I'll try to post a translation later in this thread.

But I think it's a great song anyway, so I invite you all to hear it: https://youtu.be/aTN91ZSvYSk

It's made with Ardour and Guitarix - specially the last one, which took me some time trying to figure a nice guitar tone for the solo.

I bought a MIDI Keyboard too, so I could find some enjoyement when doing the drum parts (made with the Black Pearl Drumkit plugin, btw).

If you like too, I'd redesigned my website and now you can browse through 12 chosen songs, in an album concept. Hope you could visit and like as well.

Check it at https://www.mundolunar.art.br/
Excellent work! would love to hear more in the future!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I like this song a lot. The vocals remind me of Kurt Cobain's baritone range. Something about the melodic phrasing is very Cobain-y. Even the chord progression of the song. I kept waiting for you to hit the distortion pedal, jump the voice up an octave, and start screaming. :) But I'm glad you didn't, because I really like the mellow groove.

I like what you did with the guitar solo, and the visuals during that part.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

This song has a really nice meditative sound too me. I get some The Beatles vibes from the beginning and isn't there some bossa nova chords in the middle?

I like this singing style, too. My girlfriend thought this was inspired by Nirvana, the singing and the bass line was what she mentioned.

Maybe I would listen to it differently if I could understand the lyrics.

BTW Your new site looks good! I always like to see how the studio of the LM people looks like! :)

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

Hi guys,

Again, thanks for taking your time to listen and sharing your thoughts. This forum is really awesome :-)

I wasn't thinking about Nirvana when writing or producing this song, but I recognize some 80's rock influence and I think Nirvana received some influence from that period too. New Wave comes to my mind when writing this.

As for the voice I take the comparation as a compliment, since Cobain was a really engaging singer and player. Not the most perfectionist one but still very engaging.

@milo , I had to laugh when I read about your expectation for a loud and screamed chorus, à la Nirvana, but ended up hearing some bossa-nova harmonies. So cool when the unpredicted happens.

@oscillator , there's indeed a meditative vibe and it's intentional. I'll post the lyrics here and you'll have a better understading as well as a brief Portuguese lesson :-)