Installation problem

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Mister Mint
Established Member

Installation problem

Post by Mister Mint »

Hello everyone,

I have dowloaded the three programs JJazzlab, Impro-Visor and MMA, but can't figure out how to install them. I'm running Linux Mint 20.2 and have tried the commands "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get install program name", and double-clicking the relevant unzipped files, but nothing seems to get installed. Can anyone tell me what to do?
Last edited by Mister Mint on Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gps
Established Member

Re: Installation problem

Post by Gps »

The file you download should be a .rpm, for arch opensuse fedora and such to understand it, and a .deb one for debian based distro's Like mint.

What did you download ?

A tar ball as they are called, you usual need to compile yourself, for it to become a program.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

If you download a deb package (for example the file "mma_21.09_all.deb", and let's say it is in your Downloads folder) do the following in the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/mma_21.09_all.deb
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

Thank you, I've just now been reading about the difference between .deb, .rpm and .bin files.

In the case of JJazzLab and MMA, it's a .bin file. The JazzLab main folder has a sub folder called "bin", with one single file called "JJazzLab". I double-clicked it, but then a text file with programming scripts just opens. Nothing else happens. Following a guide, I also tried to place the main folder in usr/share/applications, but got a message that I don't have sufficient permission (although I'm the root user).

Another guide (this https://linuxstartlinux.org/2021/08/01/ ... der-linux/) says:

"Unpack the archive to a location with write privileges if you like (JJazzlab can apply updates itself)

Add the following line to /etc/modules:

snd-virmidi

Create the file /etc/modprobe.d/snd-virmidi_options.conf with the content:

options snd-virmidi midi_devs=1

Reboot

Start JJazzlab"

I looked in the /etc/ folder, but there are only two files, called "jjazzlab.clusters" and "jjazzlab.conf". Should I add the line snd-virmidi to them, or what?

When I try to create the file /etc/modprobe.d/snd-virmidi_options.conf, I get a message when trying to save it, saying that I don't have the sufficient rights to save the file.

But maybe it's just too troublesome working with a .bin file? And perhaps also too risky for the system?

The MMA folder is called "mma-bin-21.09" (and the downloaded file "mma-bin-21.09.tar.gz", so I understand I'll need to compile the program myself), but I see no .bin file in it. However, a guide told to double-click the "cp-install" or In-install" file. I tried both, but again it just opens a script file (#!/usr/bin/python).

The downloaded Impro-Visor file is called "Impro-Visor_unix_10_2.sh". When I double-click it, also here a text file with programming scripts opens, but in addition to that a green process line appears (see attached pic). However, it's moving so slowly that it would takes hours to finish, and also it almost freezes my computer, so I decided to cancel it. But maybe I should just let it finish?
Attachments
Skærmbillede_2021-10-26_23-14-20.png
Skærmbillede_2021-10-26_23-14-20.png (57.44 KiB) Viewed 16713 times
flappix
Established Member

Post by flappix »

How to install program depends on the package type they are.
In your case it is just a zip file, you don't have to actually install it. You can extract it anywhere you want and launch it from there.

The relevant file is located at path/where/you/unzipped/JJazzLab-2.3.1-Linux/bin/jjazzlab
Depending on your desktop environment you can launch it by double click or something like 'Right Click -> Execute'.
A desktop environment independent way to launch it is to use a terminal. The command would be

cd  path/where/you/unzipped/JJazzLab-2.3.1-Linux/bin/
chmod +x jjazzlab # this line you need only the first time you launch it
./jazzlab
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

Thanks, but when I double click it, only the shell script opens. And right clicking just shows the options "open with Text editor", "Open with Libre Office writer", "Open with another program", "Copy", "Delete", "Rename", etc. There's no "Execute" or something like that.

In the terminal I get this:

thomas@thomas-P5Q-SE:~$ cd home/thomas/JJazzLab-2.3.1-Linux/bin/
bash: cd: home/thomas/JJazzLab-2.3.1-Linux/bin/: No such file or directory
Attachments
Skærmbillede_2021-11-11_06-38-12.png
Skærmbillede_2021-11-11_06-38-12.png (6.15 KiB) Viewed 16033 times
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Mister Mint wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:43 amIn the terminal I get this:

thomas@thomas-P5Q-SE:~$ cd home/thomas/JJazzLab-2.3.1-Linux/bin/
bash: cd: home/thomas/JJazzLab-2.3.1-Linux/bin/: No such file or directory
The path should have an initial slash:

$ cd /home/thomas/JJazzLab-2.3.1-Linux/bin/
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

Oh, thanks :)

Also needed an extra j in jazzlab, but now the program opens, very nice :) although with some warnings about illegal access, but on JJazzLab's own site it says "Free download".

https://www.jjazzlab.com/en/

thomas@thomas-P5Q-SE:~/JJazzLab-2.3.1-Linux/bin$ ./jazzlab
bash: ./jazzlab: No such file or directory
thomas@thomas-P5Q-SE:~/JJazzLab-2.3.1-Linux/bin$ ./jjazzlab
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.netbeans.ProxyURLStreamHandlerFactory (file:/home/thomas/JJazzLab-2.3.1-Linux/platform/lib/boot.jar) to field java.net.URL.handler
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.netbeans.ProxyURLStreamHandlerFactory
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
^[[3~
Kirtai
Established Member

Post by Kirtai »

Mister Mint wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:43 am Also needed an extra j in jazzlab, but now the program opens, very nice :) although with some warnings about illegal access, but on JJazzLab's own site it says "Free download".
Don't worry about that, it's just the programming system they used warning the programmers that they're using something that will be going away in a later version so to change it before it breaks.

Isn't interpreting error messages fun. (No).
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

Oh, then I can relax again :)
Kirtai wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:39 pm Isn't interpreting error messages fun. (No).
Absolutely No. It's both tough and scary :shock: